all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alternating TGUs with the push press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I was reading this article: S&C Training for MMA With Simple & Sinister and a quote stood out to me.

Once Viktor got to heavier get-ups (36 kg+), we started to alternate get-ups with push presses (Pavel Tsatsouline’s recommendation). One day we did swings and get-ups, the other day swings and push presses. Push presses were also done in an S&S way – 10×10 with a focus on maximum power output, with Fast & Loose shadow boxing between the rounds.​

I'm not an MMA fighter, but in general good MMA-related S&C translates to good BJJ-related S&C. Just wondering in general what kind of experience people may have had with alternating TGUs with push presses. I was surprised to read that the push presses would be done in a 10x10 manner. 10x10 swings, then 10x10 push presses seems to me to be a lot of volume so I didn't know what experience people had with this?

I have a couple of tournaments coming up in the next few weeks so I don't want to rejigger my training too much, but after that I'm planning on giving this a try as I'm using 36 & 40kg more often for my TGUs lately.

@Pavel Macek He's got the answers. I know nothing about martial arts, but the push press is a pretty good full body expression of power. I know thrower and strongwoman/men swear by them.

@Pavel Macek He's got the answers. I know nothing about martial arts, but the push press is a pretty good full body expression of power. I know thrower and strongwoman/men swear by them.

Oh, I didn't think to tag him. It would be awesome if he could reply. I agree it's a great explosive movement, but I just didn't want to overdo it with volume & leave myself burned out for a grappling practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom