all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alternative to TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikegillam

First Post
54 year old male. Active in ww kayaking, mountain biking, climbing. Have a torn meniscus and have found that TGU really inflames this injury. What are some good alternatives to the TGU. While I really like this movement, at this point, it is not worth the painful knee. Starting the S & S program to compliment my activities (or maybe the other way around).

For the shoulder aspect, the windmill and/or bent press. Or, if your mobility allows it, an overhead squat getup instead of being on one knee. There are also small changes you can make that might bother your knee less - worth a try for those, e.g., instead of the "windshield wiper", you move the front foot/leg 90 degrees. This means you avoid grinding the down knee into the mat.

-S-

I'd echo the bent pres - Dave Whitely has a brilliant book breaking it down (http://www.amazon.com/Taming-Bent-Press-Guide-Digital-ebook/dp/B00QFO240E). It fires the lats up for climbing quite a lot too!.

Maybe add in some loaded carries as the time crushing the handle when doing BP vs TGU might reduce the grip effect (not that you won't be getting that from your swings).

The only important thing to bear in mind with this replacement is that the bent press is a slightly more technical lift (at least I think so - milage may vary), and quite hard to do in a prefatigued state. I'd personally put bent presses before swings for safety if I was sticking to a S&S template.

Michael
Just perform the parts of the Get-up that don't cause the knee to be an issue

I am assuming that the first two steps - to the elbow and to the hand are ok?

Then just do those.

Have you had the knee checked by a medical pro?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have an MRI which shows a horizontal tear. I have has 3 previous scopes and am trying to stay away from a 4th. I have been using the windmill and some TGU steps up to this point, but will try the suggestions above to see what works!

Michael, have you considered Prolotherapy for your knee? Studies have shown it to be incredibly effective. Perhaps, Prolotherapy could heal your knee.

I can personally recommend Dr. Reeves out of Kansas City, but I understand if location is an issue, you may want to consider going elsewhere. Just ensure that the doctor your choose is schooled in the Hemwall-Hackett comprehensive prolotherapy technique. Dr. Reeves actually takes it a step farther in consideration of his research he's conducted about nerves.

Anyway, if you go to Dr. Reeves website at http://www.drreeves.com/ you can learn about the procedure and what it does.

Good luck and God bless.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom