all posts post new thread

Old Forum Alternatives to the dead lifting exercise?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why do you ask, i.e., what do you want from the deadlift and what do you want from its alternatives?

The kettlebell swing and kettlebell snatch have helped keep many a person's deadlift in good shape without actually deadlifting - those are two good, safe alternatives.

-S-

Basically just what it asks. Any safe alternatives? Thanks
Do you want any alternative to the lift or to the equipment and are deadlift variations excluded as alternatives?

Basically everytime you bend over to pick something off the floor you are deadlifting; using deadlift mechanics.
Most things in life do not come with a barbell handle attached so getting used to lifting odd shaped objects and weights off the floor is an excellent way to "deadlift" without having to use a barbell and or a mixed grip. Or to lift maximum weights either.

KBs are excellent for deadlifting even though one outstrips the bell weight very quickly you can do kb deads standing on boxes, one arm kb deads, suitcase deads, double kb deadlift and or lift sandbags, stones, etc. You get the idea.

to me the most important thing is that everyone has some variation of the important primal pattern in their routine. Even swings are pulls and one uses deadlift mechanics ( hingeing) to swing properly.

Hope this helps.

The reason I'm asking is because lately I've been experiencing some minor pain in my lower back and I don't want to aggravate it.

The reason I’m asking is because lately I’ve been experiencing some minor pain in my lower back and I don’t want to aggravate it.
You should find out the reason for the pain before doing anything.

agree, if you are avoiding deadlifting because of pain you need to figure where it is coming from first. changes forms or implements is not the answer.

another thing you might wanna check: your form. You could be leading the pull or leading the lowering portion with your back and not your hips

Just to echo what Rif wrote, there's a difference between deadlifting for competition versus deadlifting for GPP.  It's a little pet peeve of mine when I read how-to deadlift articles that aren't clear what the goal is -- lifting the heaviest barbell possible, or picking things up off the floor, or training the hinge.

Well its not all the time it happens. Once in a while it just comes up. I don’t want to just be sitting around.
Nobody does, but zeal for training is what makes small problems turn into big problems. It is worth it to find out exactly what is happening before proceeding.

And if you, like many people, are willing to take the risk, one cannot expect people to give advice on training around an unknown pain for another person. That would be very imprudent.

Having someone knowledgeable about deadlifts check your form would be a good start. Also, alternatives could conceivably make some problems much worse. The shearing forces of a swing could be more dangerous than the compression forces of the deadlift. A one arm deadlift may be more stressful to the area of concern than a regular deadlift. So, any deadlift alternative we could give could be bad without knowing what is causing the pain and why.

Nick

Where are you located?

In the future you might lead with the fact that you are having back pain

@ Brett I'm in New York

I honestly always try to walk around and do anything and everything with a neutral spine in my daily life. I guess I was doing something wrong.

Well, assuming your pain is through poor form, and you want to be a better runner, try single leg deadlifts.

Works the legs and glues in a very good way, and will be less stressful on your back, assuming your pain is through impoper form in lifting or lowering the weight in a deadlift.

Single leg squats and front squats will also be good.

Again, assuming your pain is through improper form in the deadlift, and that these exercises do not hurt.

Nick, if your back is barking at you, please consider whether it's wise to continue running until you get to the bottom of what's going on.  It may well be that the best route to a happier back is exactly the opposite of what you're doing now:  more deadlifts (with good form, as coached by someone with eyes on you) and much less or no running (at least for now). I don't want to go too far out on a limb, but I think there are people in NY who can check you out.

Thank you for your response. Well here is a goal of mine to be be able to run 2 miles in no more than 16 minutes and 36 seconds (16:36).

It's been a while since I even ran a mile and I admit I struggle with that. I'm not trying to make excuses but I just graduated college and had a particularly hard major that I had to devote most of my time to so naturally running wasn't something I could do a lot of but now that I've graduated I now don't have that burden to deal with anymore.

Honestly at this point passing that goal and being able to maintain it is all I want.

If you have problems with back, try do some 'rockings' from BB or OS. I had this problem, and rocks made my pain gone.

Alternatives for deadlifting? Very hard, DL rule, but you can try other varieties of this exercises king like deep squat/deadlift combo from Beyond Bodybuilding, single leg deadlift, health deadlift.

I can say, that for me was perfect Tommy Kono 'chillin deadlift' and hockey deadlift but remember to keeping low reps.

I injured my back, when i did back bend yoga pose, and i forgot to pinch the coin. Sad, but lesson learned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom