all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

It's pretty cool isn't it?

Heck yeah. When I was younger, mobility / flexibility was never really part of my regiment, it was for rehab. I held the common misconception that stretching made the muscles longer, and I didn't think I particularly needed longer muscles. Getting into StrongFirst principles now, I think of inflexibility as weakness, the body won't move into positions it can't control. Want to be invincible, gotta address the weaknesses.

12/04 06:00

60min treadmill walk / run 4.2m

12/04 21:00

Circuit x10
- LED: first 5 rounds 6min on bike, second 5 rounds 0.4m treadmill run
- Pushups x10
- BW squat x10
- Flat bent leg raise x10

12/06 06:00

5min treadmill walk
EYFS +

12/06 15:00

Static stretching sequence x1

After I finished, I did a little testing. Standing toe touch, I can get all fingers flat, but can't quite get the palms down - pretty good for me. But not much progress in the seated toe touch, still blocked at the hips. Need to research some movements to try to unlock that.

12/06 21:30

GSQT 3x5 40,48,24 with curl
Halo 3x5 16,16,20
Bridge 3x5
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU 5x1 x side 40
Circuit L3 x5
- KB BU press 20
- Pullups

No work with the beast today, not feeling 100% this week, and need to save some energy for a karate test on Saturday. Pullups felt good today, but a little grumbling from the elbow on the presses.

12/07 06:00

60min treadmill walk / run 4.15m

Heart rate has just been shooting up on my runs this week. I'm guessing it's a sign of being under recovered.

12/07 21:00

12/08 10:00

Karate practice, teaching. Tried to conserve energy for the afternoon, but honestly there's no way to conserve energy in a 90 minute karate class.

How did the test go...?

Thanks for asking...

12/08 13:30

Karate test. These are kind of like navy SEAL school, though certainly not so intense; it's all a matter of maintaining focus and technique when you're tired. I know I made one serious mistake, just a matter now of how much that penalizes me. Won't find out if I passed till next week at the earliest.

Last edited:
12/08 10:00

Karate practice, teaching. Tried to conserve energy for the afternoon, but honestly there's no way to conserve energy in a 90 minute karate class.

Thanks for asking...

12/08 13:30

Karate test. These are kind of like navy SEAL school, though certainly not so intense; it's all a matter of maintaining focus and technique when you're tired. I know I made one serious mistake, just a matter now of how much that penalizes me. Won't find out if I passed till next week at the earliest.
Yeah... I know how those things go...

12/09 08:30

950yd swim

My daughter made it 750yd again, another good day for her.

I am crazy sore today in the pecs - all the punching volume from the karate test.

12/09 18:00

2 hours of relatively low-intensity indoor volleyball. Some mild shin soreness afterwards.

Base building is over, back to the max strength focus tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Going to try to stick pretty close to the Tactical Barbell Black Fighter template, still tossing around what I want to do for conditioning. Just have too many goals - run faster, run longer, jump higher, hit harder...

12/10 06:00

5min treadmill walk
EYFS +

Loaded the Cossacks today with 10#. That seems plenty for the moment.

12/10 21:00

GSQT 40,48,24 with curl
Halo 3x5 16,16,20
Bridge 3x5
DL 2x5 305#
Pullups 6,5,4,4,4,3
TRX-assisted pistol 3x5
BB side press 4x5 65#

A bit of a rough day. Still dealing with some DOMS from the karate test. First time back on the DL in several weeks - tried to set a reasonable training max based on the October TSC, but this didn't feel as light as I hoped. Left arm press felt great, right arm... not so much.

What did this lead too?
I have the challenge and I just keep “banging away” at itvand trying to progress inch by inch day by day...

No great answers. I've been doing the rag doll pose as part of my stretch sequence, and that helps, but it seems like I have to wait long enough for my hamstrings to loosen up enough to allow me to push into the hip. I figure good mornings must help too.

But in the end, it might be a single-lane road, just gotta sit down and grind away at it, like you're doing.

12/11 06:00

60min treadmill walk 4.1m

12/11 13:30

12/11 21:30

5min treadmill run
0.25m treadmill run x4 8.0
KB snatch 16x4 EMOM 32
TGU 5x1 x side 40

Good session, but bit of an eye opener. Now, I've never been fast, but several years ago I was doing a lot of interval running, and this session would have been easy. This wasn't easy. Well, if nothing else, have identified a weakness that needs to be addressed.

12/13 06:00

5min treadmill walk
EYFS +

12/13 13:30

12/13 21:00

GSQT 40,48,24 with curl
- 24 is feeling easy, so I tried one with the 32, but wrist still can't support the bell
Halo 3x5 16,16,20
Bridge 3x5
DL 2x5 305#
Pullups 6,5,4,4,4,3
Assisted pistols 3x5
BB side press 4x5 65#

Better session than Monday. Remember to treat the DL like a bunch of singles, don't rush.

Have already sent to my wife for the Xmas list :D

12/14 06:00

60min treadmill walk / run 4.2m

12/14 14:00

12/14 21:30

5min jump rope
Heavy bag 1min on 2 min off x6
Burpees 16x3 EMOM
TGU 5x1 x side 40,48,40,48,40

Good session, another eye opener. Need to get reacquainted with the heavy bag, has been too long. Burpees as an explosive movement, as opposed to a grinding beat down, are actually fun.

12/15 10:00

Karate practice, teaching.

Found out today that I didn't pass the belt test. :( Kinda thought that might be the case. Unfortunately, nobody around who could give me much feedback on what I need to improve (aside from the one mistake I know about). I believe that you can't really grow without failing sometimes... still sucks, though.

Had really been hoping to get in an SE session this afternoon, but just too much family stuff going on.

Found out today that I didn't pass the belt test. :( Kinda thought that might be the case.

Sorry to hear you didn't pass.

I believe that you can't really grow without failing sometimes... still sucks, though.

I'm also a huge believer that failure is just feedback on the road to success, but your right... it does suck.

12/16 10:00

Karate seminar with a visiting sensei. Not as intense as a normal practice, but longer (3 hours). This was a lot of fun - with this format, the sensei can stop and discuss a lot of finer points. Heard a lot of things I hadn't heard before. Apparently I've been doing the rising block wrong since day one. :eek: But the way he explained it make sense.

Some low-intensity indoor volleyball in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom