all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I think when you're doing multiples over 400 you're allowed to think whatever you want.

The deadlift is a remarkably self-limiting exercise though; the only deadlift hurts I've had were sustained while setting it down and short to mid term.

I think when you're doing multiples over 400 you're allowed to think whatever you want.

Heh, reminds me of the old dad joke about gorillas. Where do you drop a 500# deadlift? Anywhere you want to!

The deadlift is a remarkably self-limiting exercise though; the only deadlift hurts I've had were sustained while setting it down and short to mid term.

Interesting. I have definitely completed lifts in the past where my form broke and I would have been better off letting it go, and suffered for it. But I recall @Anna C expressing a similar thought as yours in the
What's the difference between "training max" and "competition max" thread.

I suspect some people are wired for "mind over muscle" (not necessarily a good thing), and some aren't.

04/05 11:00

Trifecta +
104min outdoor run 7.8m
- Average HR 138, max 156

Woah! I didn't mean to go for so long, but I took a new loop today and I misjudged the distance. Hips were a little creaky towards to end, but otherwise ok, had planned on a little GTG today, but after this had nothing left in the tank.

EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 42

Last edited:
Nice run...

Thanks, sir! Best thing is, I didn't feel sore the next day. That said, I do feel taxed - energy is running low.

04/06 06:00

Trifecta +
30min treadmill run/walk 2.1m

04/06 18:00

GSQT 2x5 48
Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
KB snatch 20x3 40
KB press 2x3 36
Grip circuit x3

Pushups 8x13
Box pistols 8x5
Pullups 7x3
RAGS 43

04/07 11:00

Trifecta +
Burpees 30x2

Power burpees now approved by Pavel!

After seeing this, I was so stoked about seeing StrongFirst finally show the burpee some love, I was compelled to throw on some gym clothes and head downstairs to do some. The power of burpees compels you!

Pushups 5x13
Box pistols 5x5
RAGS 43

04/09 06:00

Trifecta +
45min treadmill run/walk 3.2m

04/09 17:00

GSQT 2x5 48
DL 1x3 430#
KB press 3x3 36
Grip circuit x3

Solid DL - heavy, but solid. Feels like I'm engaging my legs better than I have in the past. Also feeling the lat soreness from pullups still - I wonder if it's simply a matter of the press and DL intensity ramping.

Pushups 3x13
Box pistols 3x5
RAGS 44

04/10 06:00

Trifecta +
60min treadmill run/walk 4.3m

20 mile week. Not bad for a rhinoceros. Since I seem to have my running legs back under me, thinking now I'll start mixing in a little bit of tempo running. Strong first, then endurant... but I sure wouldn't mind being a little faster.

Pushups 6x13
Box pistols 6x5
Pullups 6x3
RAGS 44

04/11 10:30

Trifecta +
GSQT 2x5 48
5min snatch test 32 x72
- 4x8,4x6,4x4
KB1HS 8x6 48
KB press 4x3 36
Grip circuit x3

Figured I should do a snatch test once or twice before the TSC. There's such a mental component to it - I spent a couple of minutes beforehand wondering why I was about to put myself through it. I finally had to just start the timer before I could talk myself out of it. Took a couple of long rests in there, but I was smoked at the end. Now, I'm a pretty strong guy among normal folks... but, the guys who can knock out 100+ snatches with the 32 are just another class of human being. Oof.

Spent most of the afternoon relocating my gym to its new home. A lot of carrying stuff.

Pushups 3x13
Box pistols 3x5
Pullups 3x3
RAGS 45

20 mile week. Not bad for a rhinoceros. Since I seem to have my running legs back under me, thinking now I'll start mixing in a little bit of tempo running. Strong first, then endurant... but I sure wouldn't mind being a little faster.
20 miles a week is not bad for anyone! That is more than enough to be in really good cardio shape. You ever mess around with hill-sprints or other speed intervals? They are another way to get faster that don't have to leave you cooked.

You ever mess around with hill-sprints or other speed intervals? They are another way to get faster that don't have to leave you cooked.

Heck yes. Particularly back in college, hill sprints were a big part of my training. The last time I had intervals in my training, I ended up nursing a sore hamstring for a while. But I'm hoping to get a little real speed work in the summer. Near term, I'm planning to just work in a little higher-tempo long distance.

04/12 11:00

Trifecta +
90min outdoor run/walk 7.0m
- Ave HR 130, max 146

EDIT: forgot to log HR. Was actually reasonably low for this run, I suspect because it was pretty cold - actually snowed for the last 0.5m.

In the afternoon I got my heavy bag set up at last, and spent a while doing some technique work. Focused on balance and measured, controlled strikes. This was really enjoyable, like mobility work with smacking stuff. Made me miss karate practice.

RAGS 45

Last edited:
Heck yes. Particularly back in college, hill sprints were a big part of my training. The last time I had intervals in my training, I ended up nursing a sore hamstring for a while. But I'm hoping to get a little real speed work in the summer. Near term, I'm planning to just work in a little higher-tempo long distance.
Intervals without enough rest are one of the things that clearly got harder as I have aged. Fartlek's on the other hand are still a ball and since they are meant to be by feel they could work as a bridge from LED to speed work. Just speculating here, as most of the material I have read on running is focused on people who want to hit PRs, not improve overall health.

Intervals without enough rest are one of the things that clearly got harder as I have aged. Fartlek's on the other hand are still a ball and since they are meant to be by feel they could work as a bridge from LED to speed work. Just speculating here, as most of the material I have read on running is focused on people who want to hit PRs, not improve overall health.

Yeah, a lot of what I've read in terms of running for health just says that there's pretty much no reason to ever work on speed directly - just keep racking up easy miles and base building forever. In my case, I certainly have no plan to attempt to convert over to being a competitive runner... but I do run a few 10k races a year, and it would be nice to see those numbers creep down a little. I've been re-reading Jack Daniels, hoping I can stay at the far low end of his intermediate runner guidelines - just mixing in some light tempo work, but keep it sparse enough to avoid any significant recovery penalty.

That said, I might try a cycle of sprint training in the summer, who knows...

04/13 06:00

Trifecta +
30min spin bike

More treadmill electrical issues, might be tough to get in running this week.

04/13 16:30

GSQT 2x5 48
DL 1x3 445#
KB press 5x3 36
Grip circuit x3

Tried the first deadlift rep double overhand, but grip failed and I had to abort it and start over. Had to be a limit somewhere, guess I found it. Some gym chalk is on its way to me now, hopefully have it before next session.

Pressing is definitely easier on deadlift day than it is on snatch day.

Notes on grip work:
- I notice that my plate pinch endurance is a lot better on deadlift day, as compared to snatch day. Perhaps there's some connection between pinch grip and hook-gripping a kettlebell?
- Right hand can close the #1 CoC at will, left still has a bit to go.

Pushups 5x13
Box pistols 5x5
Pullups 5x3
RAGS 46

04/14 16:45

Trifecta +
50min treadmill run/walk 3.7m
- 1W 14E 9T 1W 9T 1W 14E 1W

I tried a couple of rolling squats during my mobility work (I daydream about being able to do a kip up), and my glutes started shrieking at me. Found another weakness to work on.

Good "comfortably uncomfortable" run. Felt good to open the speed up just a little, but will have to keep an eye on recovery.

RAGS 46

04/16 06:30

Trifecta +

04/16 09:30

45min treadmill run/walk 3.1m

04/16 16:30

GSQT 2x5 48
KB snatch 16x4 36
KB press 6x3 36
Grip circuit x3

Not taking a day off this week finally caught up to me. Was really sluggish in the morning. Tried a little GTG work, but it just didn't feel like a good idea today, so I dropped it.

Excited for press test day on Saturday.

RAGS 48

Back
Top Bottom