04/18 10:30

GSQT 2x5 48
Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
DL 1x2 460#
KB press test 40
- right x2
- left x2
Grip circuit x3

Used chalk today, so no grip issues with DL. Was plenty heavy, though.

Good progress on the press - couldn't press the 40 at all a couple months ago. Tried a third rep on both sides, left was closer. Thumbs up for soju and tuba (y). Thinking I'll run it again after the TSC.

EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 49

04/19 11:00

Trifecta +
86min outdoor run 7.0m
- Ave HR 136, max 150

This was one of the most comfortable outdoor runs I can remember. A lot of factors, I think: perfect 50 degree day, I'm learning a bit better at pace control (though I sped up a bit as I got close to home), and, just maybe, I'm actually developing a little endurance. Very encouraging day. All the same, had a bit of an energy crash later in the afternoon.

RAGS 49

Slept in this morning, felt like I needed the rest.

04/20 17:00

Trifecta +
GSQT 2x5 48
T swings 20x5 135#
TGU 5x1 32, 40x4

I've said before that the TGU is an exercise in taking punishment... my punishment threshold has definitely gotten low, felt like I had been run over by a truck when I was done.

RAGS 49

04/21 06:00

Trifecta +
50min treadmill run/walk 3.7m
- 1W 14E (9T 1W) x2 14E 1W

I call these threshold runs, but in reality I'm not even close to what Daniels calls a threshold run. Only going up to 80% max HR. Just trying to ease into it slowly. I've never seen anybody advise ramping up a running speed program a few weeks before a max deadlift attempt.

04/21 21:30

GSQT 2x5 48
Burpees 30x2
Grip circuit x3

Felt powerful today, like my body was light. I checked with the scale - nope, body is not light. Must be the awesome power of steak tacos.

GTG work has been suffering lately. Can't seem to find a pullup volume that doesn't make my lats sore. And last time I did burpees on the same day as some decent GTG volume, my chest felt pretty sore. Figure I'll let it coast through the TSC, figure out how to reintegrate afterwards.

Halfway to my grip training goal. Booya.

Pushups 2x13
Box pistols 2x5
RAGS 50

04/22 06:00

Trifecta +
49min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 40E (0.33ST 1W) x6

Still slow as dirt, of course, but I feel like I'm finally seeing a little progress in my running after months of stagnation. I suspect that, even for base building, there's a threshold you have to cross occassionally to make any forward progress: they can't all be recovery runs.

Pushups 5x13
Box pistols 5x5
Pullups 5x3
RAGS 50

I suspect that, even for base building, there's a threshold you have to cross occassionally to make any forward progress: they can't all be recovery runs.
I have wondered about this point a fair amount. Maffetone is an absolutist, which may have made sense for retraining very gifted aerobic athletes who had "aerobic deficiency syndrome", but I am not sure it makes sense for the rest of us. In Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 Running the base building phase for his level 1 marathon plan has some limited "Fast Finish" and speed play work. This translates to about 10% of the time for the first 10 weeks at medium or hard intensity. Similarly Uphill Athlete has hill sprints in week 1 of the base period for cat one mountain runners and has Z3 as part of the late base period. So I wouldn't worry about pushing it occasionally. As long as 80% of your time is under AeT you will build the base.

Solid DL, but I'm wrestling with my mindset a bit as things get heavy. I find myself thinking "don't get hurt", which is exactly the mindset I tell the kids I coach to avoid - don't focus on avoiding negatives, focus on the positive you want to achieve. Need to get into mindset of "pick this #$%& up".
"Don't get hurt" can be reframed as "lift safely." It's not just semantics. If I vault a park bench, I find it better to think. "My feet should clear the top of the bench" rather than "My feet need to avoid getting caught on the bench." Technically, it's the same meaning, but the former programs my behavior better than the latter. It's not even "positive thinking" but it's just like how a recipe focuses on what ingredients to include, not what ingredients to exclude.

This concept is very powerful. Another example I use is to tell somebody to remember to do something as opposed to dont't forget.

Example: Remember to bring your keys. Not... Don't forget your keys.

04/23 06:30

Trifecta +

I woke up with a mild headache. Which in these days, makes all sorts of pleasant thoughts run through your head. Had to take the morning easy. Passed as the day went on, but I was strangely hungry all day as well.

04/23 16:45

GSQT 2x5 48
DL 1x2 475#

Lift all the weights!

20200423_170101.jpg

What a glorious problem it would be to run out of room on the bar. That's a double with my max from the last TSC. Pretty psyched.

Took a break for dinner and cocktails, then...

04/23 21:30

TGU with press 5x1 32
Grip circuit x3

RAGS 51

That's a great pull...Obviously, you always do your PRs when you don't expect it. Sort of correlates with what Pavel said about punch strength - when the fighters did a strongest when they were asked to do 80% power.

That's a great pull...Obviously, you always do your PRs when you don't expect it. Sort of correlates with what Pavel said about punch strength - when the fighters did a strongest when they were asked to do 80% power.

Thanks, sir! I've been running the peaking program from the vodka & pickles continuation:

Yesterday was the peak - next week will be light, TSC next Saturday, and then drop into a lighter cycle for a while. I'm wondering if I might just be feeling some of the health/performance tradeoff that we often talk about. Peaking isn't necessarily "healthy". And over the last week or so I've been noticing it getting harder to wake up early, probably some measure of accumulated stress.

Nice simple cycle. I like the simplicity and combination with the snatches. You're right about that peaking isn't much healthy, if done often. I avoided to do such a program more than once a year, or twice top. It is very similar to one of the Surovetsky or Muravyov peaking cycles, that I did a while ago, only that was for the 3 lifts, and despite I made a good progress, I ended up in huge overtraining. It is very wise to do it only for a one big move.

Back
Top Bottom