all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Look at you!
Congratulations!
Fantastic work!

My .02 on IF.
I started with baby steps.
Began with pushing back breakfast by one hour.
When it felt comfortable, pushed it back a little more.
Slowly, slowly, until I reached 20 hours fasting a day.
For me, that's the sweet spot. I tried 22 hours but couldn't maintain it.

I highly recommend Dr Bert Herring's books.
His first book Fast-5 is how I began.

Congratulations! It's a great result. Especially snatches. I'm sure one day we'll celebrate your 100@5 min with 2 poods.

As for the IF or whatever it's type - yes, don't rush. I myself find a baseline of Warriors Diet approach more useful for me - to fuel myself with needed minimum, and it's always different from day to day, depending on how well you rested after yesterday and what's your today's goals. So mostly I drink only coffee and have some necessary fats and proteins, something with low glycemic index.
As for the fast intervals, it's always easy to stick the sleep break in between, so 3 fast - 8 sleep - 3 fast is definitely doable for anyone.
At the end, it's always how much you spend vs how much you gain. So, basic caloric deficit of ~500 calories a day and quality healthy food will take your weight down alright, if you won't be happy with fasting.
The book "Fat Loss Happens on Monday" summarizes pretty well what I believe in about the nutrition. Simple, quantity and quality, habits.

One more interesting point for IF/WD that I have found personally is that it may be worth a chance to not assume that the calorie restricted time portion of the day happens in the morning, but in the night.

One more interesting point for IF/WD that I have found personally is that it may be worth a chance to not assume that the calorie restricted time portion of the day happens in the morning, but in the night.

It's hard to imagine how I could make that work with family. When we're back in normal life - and even in these quarantine times, honestly - dinner is the only meal my family eats together regularly, and that usually doesn't happen until around 7-8 PM.

Felt pretty beat up after the TSC, so I took Sunday completely off.

05/11 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
50min treadmill run/walk 3.7m

05/11 17:00

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
SQT 3x5 240#
KB press 10x1 36
Pullups 10x1 25#
Grip circuit x3

Tried my DL warmup, but the body said no way. Definitely still recovering, but improved vs Sunday.

So, today was day 1 of my IF experiment. After recieving some solid advice to ease into it... I naturally went the whole 16 hours today. My target was just 13 hours to start. 13 hours rolled around, and I was doing fine, so I kept going. At 14 hours, I had a work meeting that kept me occupied for another hour. Then, at 15 hours I didn't feel great, but it was so close, I figured I could make it another hour. I ate a solid lunch... and felt really, really weird afterwards. Not good, not bad... strange. But best thing was, I had no desire for any snacks at 4, which I normally do. So seems like it might have been a good thing. I figure for the next 6 weeks, I'll log how often I managed to fast for at least 14 hours, and see what the scale says afterwards.

IF 1/1
HRP 6x15
LTK 6x4
SL calf raise 6x7
EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 59

So, today was day 1 of my IF experiment. After recieving some solid advice to ease into it... I naturally went the whole 16 hours today. My target was just 13 hours to start. 13 hours rolled around, and I was doing fine, so I kept going. At 14 hours, I had a work meeting that kept me occupied for another hour. Then, at 15 hours I didn't feel great, but it was so close, I figured I could make it another hour. I ate a solid lunch... and felt really, really weird afterwards. Not good, not bad... strange. But best thing was, I had no desire for any snacks at 4, which I normally do. So seems like it might have been a good thing. I figure for the next 6 weeks, I'll log how often I managed to fast for at least 14 hours, and see what the scale says afterwards.

IF is subtle. It can help one's body get better at drawing on stored energy for fuel rather than bludgeoning one with hunger pangs constantly so that one feels like one must eat constantly. While weight loss can be a side effect of this over time, the bathroom scales are something that one shouldn't step on obsessively while one's body is adapting.

05/12 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
55min treadmill run/walk 4.1m
- 1W 14E (9T 1W) x2 19E 1W

Tough run today. I went out of the gate a little faster, since the last few runs have been really good, but I had so little left in the tank by the end that I was really crawling along.

05/12 17:00

Burpees 30x2
- Grip work between sets

Back feeling almost normal again, hopefully ready for a little more action on Thursday.

Day 2 of IF. Got the same strange feeling after eating lunch. The feeling of metabolic gears grinding or something.

IF 2/2
HRP 2x14
LTK 2x4
SL calf raise 2x7
RAGS 60

05/14 21:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Grip circuit x3

Bit of a rough day. Poor sleep, and when the alarm went off in the morning I had a decided knot in my back. Went back to sleep. In the evening, I probably could have gutted through some squats... but, I said to myself, "self, don't be an idiot." Time to resolve myself to mobility and GTG work until this niggle in my back works itself out.

On the plus side, IF is starting to feel easy already.

IF 4/4
HRP 5x15
LTK 5x4
SL calf raise 5x7
RAGS 61

LOL, but seriously, why is this such a very difficult conversation? Whenever I tell myself the same thing, I get an argument back that includes many exciting opportunities to be an idiot in a new way if I really don't want to be an idiot in the old way :p

I spent some time pondering this as well. There's so many selves involved. There's practical self, who knows not to be an idiot. Then there's greedy self, who wants to be stronger/fitter/faster now. And there's fearful self, who is afraid of regressing. So normally, practical self is outnumbered. Of course, slothful self will chime in here on practical self's side - which just makes practical self feel bad about it! I mean, who wants to be in agreement with slothful self? That guy is the worst.

There's so many selves involved. There's practical self, who knows not to be an idiot. Then there's greedy self, who wants to be stronger/fitter/faster now. And there's fearful self, who is afraid of regressing. So normally, practical self is outnumbered. Of course, slothful self will chime in here on practical self's side
Oh I have all of them too. And let's not forget the "Dutiful" self who wants to stay on plan NO MATTER WHAT and the YOLO self who wants the fun of exercising today however it feels tomorrow. This is actually a big advanatage of S&S for me. By having a prescribed manageable daily load, I am much less likely to improvise on some energetic off-day. I get in trouble with more than one planned off-day a week.

So the Angel on one shoulder is definitely out-voted by the Muscled Green Devils on the other ;)

05/15 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
55min treadmill run/walk 4.1m
- 1W 14E (4T 1W) x4 19E 1W

05/15 17:15

TGU 3x1 40,48,40
Circuit x10
- Heavy bag work
- Jump rope x50
- Grip work
One arm slam ball 3x10

This evening was one of the best sessions ever - because, for about 20 minutes, the entire family was down in the gym working. Awesome!

The first TGUs with the 40 were so effortless, had to crack out the beast. Definitely wasn't easy, but still got it - encouraging. One set was enough for today, though.

Spoke too soon about IF being easy - it's a lot less easy on days when I run. Not sure how well I can keep it up over weekends just given social stuff, but we'll see.

IF 5/5
HRP 6x14
LTK 6x4
SL calf raise 6x7
RAGS 62

05/16 10:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
5min walk to track
Fly-ins 25m x4
Shuttle run 25m x8
Standing power throws 10# x10
5min walk home

Still not feeling like getting back to the weights, it was a beautiful day... so, why not some speed work? Fun, but taxing.

HRP 3x14
LTK 3x4
SL calf raise 3x8
RAGS 62

05/17 10:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
2hr hike with family

So, I expected to be a little sore from the sprint work on Saturday, and sure enough, quads and groin were a bit creaky. But nothing too bad.

I was not, however, expecting my wrist to be sore. Must have been some strain from the power throws, though I can't say I felt anything happen at the time.

So, between the legs, the wrist, and the kink in the back that is still working itself out, feels like I'm in an "everything is falling apart" phase at the moment. Still not indestructible yet, I guess. Probably have to keep things easy for another week.

IF 7/7
RAGS 62

Back
Top Bottom