all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I admire anyone with the desire to punish themselves that way!

Just to give the poor burpee a little love... they way I do them, it's not punishment. I do short burst for maximum power, with a good amount of rest in between - very A+A style. I'm doing 30 sets of 2 (fun), not 2 sets of 30 (horrible). I consider them to be good sand volleyball training - get up off the ground as fast as possible, and jump as high as possible. If I could figure out a way to smack a volleyball at the top of the jump, I'd do that too.

Burpees might not be everybody's cup of tea, but they can be used for good instead of evil.

Last edited:
05/20 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
55min treadmill run/walk 4.0m
- 1W 45E 1W (0.33ST 1W) x6

Wrist and legs felt much better today. So, naturally, I developed a knot in my neck. Proof for my theory that the universe requires a fixed amount of pain; it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

You see that, all you folks training for "longevity"? By minimizing your own pain, you are actually maximizing the pain of others! Try to sleep with that on your conscience!

Anyway... still waiting for my back to pass the shoe tying test: if I can sit on a bench and bend down to tie my shoes with no discomfort, I'm ready to lift heavy again. Wasn't there today.

IF 10/10
EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 63

05/21 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Bent press 5x1 32
Volleyball spikes

05/21 17:30

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
DL 265# x5, 315# x5
SQT 3x5 220#
KB press 6x1 36
Pullups 6x1 25#
Abridged grip circuit x3
- Nothing that annoyed the wrist

Back was feeling reasonably good today, so back to the weights. I tried a few light snatches, but the wrist was not having it, so DL was the order of the day. Good mindful practice, focused on solid tension.

Pullups felt really good - no trouble touching neck to bar. Maybe just some indication that I ought to take weeks off here and there more often.

A few interesting discoveries during grip work:
  • Doing a fingertip plank, if you bend the elbows just a little, it puts a lot more stress on the fingers. Something in the elbow unlocks and forces the fingers to work harder.
  • My 18lb extension band is close to tearing. Because of my unbelievable finger strength? Or because it's a cheap piece of junk? Hmmm...
  • My right hand has been blowing my left hand out of the water on plate pinches lately. Realized today that it appears to be because my right fingers are just a little a longer- easier to get a grip.
IF 11/11
HRP 5x14
LTK 5x4
SL calf raise 5x8
RAGS 64

05/22 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder dislocates
62min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 1W 14E 2W (4T 1W) x4 24m 1W

05/22 17:00

Fly-ins 25m x4
Shuttle run 25m x6

Was hoping to get a couple more, but speed was really dropping off at the end there, so decided not to push my luck. Tried a power throw afterwards, but my wrist wasn't having it.

IF 12/12
HRP 3x14
LTK 3x4
SL calf raise 3x8
RAGS 64

Last edited:
Back was feeling reasonably good today, so back to the weights. I tried a few light snatches, but the wrist was not having it, so DL was the order of the day. Good mindful practice, focused on solid tension.

On paper, weight training programs sound as regimented as a formal military march. In practice, if one is being mindful and also listening to their body, it’s as dynamic as a jazz improv. Being able to make adjustments like you did is a valuable part of training.

Pullups felt really good - no trouble touching neck to bar. Maybe just some indication that I ought to take weeks off here and there more often.

Go back far enough in history, and our ancestors didn’t practice pull ups every day, but may have used the pull up motion to help climb up into a tree, onto a ledge, etc. If they were doing pull ups over and over again, it might be a mark that something is wrong (“Gee, I can’t seem to pull myself up all the way onto this branch to get away from the Jabberwocky. Let me try again. Argh. Again. AAAAAGGGGH!”). A pull up is valuable but one needs a rest from it now and then.

My 18lb extension band is close to tearing. Because of my unbelievable finger strength? Or because it's a cheap piece of junk? Hmmm...

Maybe both. If you are strong enough, no cheap piece of junk can stand up to you.

05/24 09:45

GTG tests
- HRP x31
- LTK x10
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
92min outdoor run 7.7m
- Ave HR 139, max 151

Run was a little faster than I wanted - maybe because it was drizzling for most of it.

So... this closes out week 2 of the IF experiment. I honestly thought it was going to be more difficult, but like @Phil12 predicted, after a few days, I was just used to it. Is it working? Well, I'm down about 5# at this point. If I could take off another 5 in another two weeks, I'd be ecstatic. But we'll see. If nothing else, it feels like I've gained some measure of control over hunger, which has to be a good thing. Maybe in a couple weeks I can plan to try a longer fast. Probably the best thing it's done for me is stop me having another beer after 21:00.

But near term, I'm going to stop logging it - and see if it can just be habit now, as opposed to be driven by avoiding the shame of having to log the first time I fail to make 16 hours.

RAGS 65

If nothing else, it feels like I've gained some measure of control over hunger, which has to be a good thing.
Congrats on the progress! I think of this point a bit differently. It's not so much as control as not needing the control. As a culture, Americans and the modern world more generally have gotten way too dependent on a steady supply of easy carbs and our bodies have lost the ability to easily use our primary source of fuel, which is fat. Going keto is one way to deal with this, but i really like carbs and think they are part of a healthy diet, so I do time-restricted feeding and occasional fasts. Plus I just got over the idea that I had to "fuel" exercise. Learning to run and lift without drinks, gels, bars, etc was a real eye-opener. It just feels better and my hunger now only kicks in, at times when I actually need a meal.

05/25 09:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
114min outdoor run/walk 6.1m

Normally, this would be my first 10k race of the year. But, quite reasonably, the organizers decided that it wasn't a good time for 50k+ people on be out running the road together. So instead I went out with my boy and did the virtual version. Beautiful day for it.

05/25 14:00

DL 1x5 340#
SQT 3x5 240#
KB press 10x1 36
Pullups 10x1 25#
Grip circuit x3

HRP 3x16
LTK 3x5
SL calf raise 3x8
RAGS 66

05/28 06:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

05/28 16:45

KB snatch 20x5 32
SQT 3x5 240#
KB press 12x1 36
Pullups 12x1 25#

Tough day. Both in the morning and evening, when it was time to head in for training, I did not have the energy. Took a while to do it, but eventually forced myself to get in there, after wasting half an hour talking myself in to it.

HRP 4x14
LTK 4x5
SL calf raise 4x8
RAGS 67

05/31 10:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
102min outdoor run 7.7m
- Ave HR 138, max 161

Tough run today. Lots of contributing reasons:
- First time running in 80+ degree heat this year, and that's only going to worse from here.
- Some leg fatigue from lifting, manifesting as a light hamstring knot.
- Allergies fired up today. I was a sneezy, miserable mess for the rest of the day.

I generally don't do a lot of outdoor running in the summer, because of heat and allergies. Normally at this time of year, I'd be trying to work in some swimming - no pollen in the water. But the pools aren't open around here yet. Might be spending even more time with the treadmill, because being sneezy and itchy sucks.

HRP 3x16
LTK 3x5
SL calf raise 3x8
RAGS 68

Back
Top Bottom