all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I generally don't do a lot of outdoor running in the summer, because of heat
I've been thinking about that too. But I am on such a roll now, I don't want to lose momentum. So it means some combination of getting up early before it's hot and acclimatization. I grew up in Louisiana where running when it was 80F and humid (27C) was the "cool" option, so I know I can do it. I just need to be willing to go even slower to make it work.

Allergies are one thing, but running in the heat can be very 'instructive' if one approaches it intelligently. Hydration is of the upmost importance. Even to the point of hydrating during the days before a run is planned. I have had some of my absolute very best runs at either end of the temperature spectrum.
Training in 'extreme' conditions goes well beyond developing the body, and takes us deep into other realms.

@Tim Randolph , @offwidth

I agree, heat is definitely not the worst problem. We have family in Florida, and when we've gone out to visit them I've actually had some decent runs, even in 90+ degree temperature with the crazy Florida humidity. I've also gotten some decent runs in Japan when traveling, plenty hot/sticky there too. You end up a sweaty mess, of course, but I can cope with that.

The allergies are just killer, though. It really messed with my sleep last night, because I woke up every hour or so feeling like my throat was full of sand. Usually I only have a couple of really bad weeks at the start of June... but every so often I'll get a random attack here or there throughout the summer, makes me gun-shy about going out at all. I haven't had much luck with any particular allergy medication being reliably effective, so I basically gave up on them and don't take any.

Big tough guy, brought to his knees by flowers. ?

I've wondered if I'd be happier further south, like Arizona or something... but then @offwidth tells us about crazy tarantula hawk wasps, and I think, "nope".

@Tim Randolph , @offwidth

I agree, heat is definitely not the worst problem. We have family in Florida, and when we've gone out to visit them I've actually had some decent runs, even in 90+ degree temperature with the crazy Florida humidity. I've also gotten some decent runs in Japan when traveling, plenty hot/sticky there too. You end up a sweaty mess, of course, but I can cope with that.

The allergies are just killer, though. It really messed with my sleep last night, because I woke up every hour or so feeling like my throat was full of sand. Usually I only have a couple of really bad weeks at the start of June... but every so often I'll get a random attack here or there throughout the summer, makes me gun-shy about going out at all. I haven't had much luck with any particular allergy medication being reliably effective, so I basically gave up on them and don't take any.

Big tough guy, brought to his knees by flowers. ?

I've wondered if I'd be happier further south, like Arizona or something... but then @offwidth tells us about crazy tarantula hawk wasps, and I think, "nope".
Even though I live in the desert it is surprisingly 'green' here. We have a lot of trees, and as you are painfully aware, trees = pollen...

I so feel your situation. I'm allergic too (pollen mostly) + have bent nasal septum, which makes running at the transition season and first part of the summer not fun. So somehow I adapt...

I've been thinking about that too. But I am on such a roll now, I don't want to lose momentum. So it means some combination of getting up early before it's hot and acclimatization. I grew up in Louisiana where running when it was 80F and humid (27C) was the "cool" option, so I know I can do it. I just need to be willing to go even slower to make it work.
I’m allergic to running! ROFL

Me: It runs in my family.
Person: Nobody runs in your family.

As noted in previous post, sleep was awful last night thanks to allergy attack. So, when the alarm went off this morning, I just rolled back over and went back to sleep.

06/01 16:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
DL 1x5 390#
SQT 3x5 270#
KB press 3x2 36
Pullups 3x2 25#
Grip circuit x3

Neck and back were feeling good today, wrist was ok... so instead, I had to cope with the little knot in my hamstring I was feeling on the run yesterday. More proof for my "conservation of pain" theory.

Heavy 5s on the DL are kind of brutal. Had to keep it very slow and deliberate.

EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS 69

06/03 06:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
55min treadmill run/walk 4.0m
- 1W 45E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6

06/03 17:30

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
Burpees 27x2, 4x3
+ grip work

Joints seem to be holding up well to the weekly burpees, so I wanted to try a few sets of 3. Definitely stacks up some more fatigue quickly. I'm thinking it might be better to pepper in the sets of 3 randomly, rather than in a continuous block. So maybe next time I'll try leaving it to the dice; roll one each set, do a set of 3 if it comes up 6.

HRP 3x14
LTK 3x5
SL calf raise 3x8
RAGS 70

06/04 06:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
TGU 2x1 40

06/04 17:30

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
KB snatch 20x4 36
SQT 3x5 270#
KB press 4x2 36
Pullups 4x2 25#
Grip circuit x3

I've been very pleased lately with the progress I've been feeling from daily trifecta work. Back has recovered nicely from the TSC strain, my core feels very strong (sometimes I can feel real abs under the blubber), and I'm making some real progress in the seated twist stretch - slow, but progress nonetheless.

But (there's always a but)... my shoulders do not feel the same. Shoulders feel like the are very slowly getting worn down - like I'm just beyond my recovery capability. This really showed in today's TGU attempts - the musculature from the wrist down to the pec felt strained, particularly on the left. Also getting a lot of general soreness or aches in grip work.

Why? Well, I'm working the press in all directions - overhead, pushups, dips. Some flavor of overtraining is certainly possible. I suspect dips are the culprit, since they are the most recent addition. I'm not pushing them hard, but I have been doing them daily - 3x5 (50% rep max) - perhaps that's just the straw that is slowly breaking the camel's back. Going to try some lower-effort regression for a while.

On top of that, got word today that the city is firing up a baseball league for my son. And volleyball will be starting again soon. The real world is attempting to make its return - meaning less time for training. Time to plan out a lower volume program, make some more room for real life.

RAGS 71

Shoulders feel like the are very slowly getting worn down - like I'm just beyond my recovery capability. This really showed in today's TGU attempts - the musculature from the wrist down to the pec felt strained, particularly on the left. Also getting a lot of general soreness or aches in grip work.
I have some suspicion that if you have any sort of lingering injury, the TGU finds it and lets you know.
I have thought about this second quote more than a few times, since you commented on my log a few weeks ago and it's absolutely true. Get-ups don't just reveal injuries, but but even a deeper level of robustness. Very rarely does a get-up make anything hurt, but it really is remarkable at showing where my recovery is or if I have lower level issues that I have just thought about as "weakness." For me the chain from wrist to shoulder is fine on both sides, but the on the right-side there is something off from shoulder to hip. Very slowly it's getting back, but I have a good read every time I do one about where I am. Good to see you are being smart about responding to the signal. It's not always easy to do what makes sense even when you know you should.

Get-ups don't just reveal injuries, but but even a deeper level of robustness. Very rarely does a get-up make anything hurt, but it really is remarkable at showing where my recovery is or if I have lower level issues that I have just thought about as "weakness."

The Turkish Get Up opens up communication pathways within myself above and beyond what I get from many other exercises. Imagine if these various exercises could speak:

DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS: What have I taught you?
ME: That I stink at shoulder presses.

TGU: What have I taught you?
ME: You have been a mirror held up in such a way that I can see my blind spots.

06/05 16:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
- Dips with one foot on the floor, higher reps
60min treadmill run/walk 4.5m
- 1W 14E (4T 1W)x4 24E 1W

Good pace at start, but tough time bringing HR down at the end.

RAGS 71

06/06 10:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
KB1HS 10x8 40
SQT 3x5 270#
KB press 5x2 36
Pullups 5x2 25#

Found out that my Spartan race for August has been officially cancelled. Not a surprise, but still a bummer. I'm debating if it's worth keeping up my random acts of grip strengthening count, since now there's no test at the end of it. Maybe time to formulate some new grip strength goal/program.

HRP 2x16
LTK 2x5
SL calf raise 2x8

No training on Sunday; spent all day watching my daughter play softball and slathering on sunscreen. Welcome back, real world.

I did get down to the gym in the evening, but not for training; spent the evening making an upgrade, installing a new power rack. Was fun, like opening a new set of Legos when I was a kid. So much fun that I stayed down there working on it till after 01:00! Then I slept in, and finished up in the morning.

06/08 18:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
DL 1x3 435#
SQT 3x3 305#
KB press 6x2 36
Pullups 6x2 25#

Mixed day on the DL. Tried to do the first rep double overhand, but my grip failed and I had to abort the lift. But the good thing about the miss was that my back never rounded - I would call it a "good" miss. Went to switch grip right away and knocked out 2 reps pretty quick, then needed a short rest before hitting the third.

Has been interesting to me how, following the mild strain during the TSC, my DL ability has come back much faster than heavy swing/snatch. I suppose it makes sense given past experience with hamstring strains - ability to lift comes back faster than ability to sprint.

This session left me pretty wiped out. Squats and deadlift will do that, I suppose. Kind of glad I didn't attempt any GTG work today.

EDIT: Fixed squat reps

Last edited:
06/09 06:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
60min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 1W 14E (9T 1W)x2 24E 1W

Tough getting going this morning. Also feeling some kind of knot in my left pec, feel it even just in shoulder dislocates. Debating if I should go into sort of a rehab mode for GTG work.

06/09 21:00

Conditioning by the dice x30
Every minute, roll a die:
- 1 = ball slams x3
- 2,3 = KB snatch 2x2 32
- 4,5 = Burpees x2
- 6 = Burpees x3
Grip work between sets

Back
Top Bottom