all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

07/22 07:00

55min treadmill run/walk 4.1m
- 1W 45E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6

Volleyball in the evening. Ugly night all around, but still managed to steal 1 game.

Due to state restrictions, we're going to have to start playing with masks on next week. That'll be interesting...

07/22 07:00

55min treadmill run/walk 4.1m
- 1W 45E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6

Volleyball in the evening. Ugly night all around, but still managed to steal 1 game.

Due to state restrictions, we're going to have to start playing with masks on next week. That'll be interesting...
The climbing gyms that are open in Colorado require masks as well... (and hand sanitizing before each route or boulder problem attempt)

The climbing gyms that are open in Colorado require masks as well... (and hand sanitizing before each route or boulder problem attempt)

I wonder how many folks are still willing to go in. Climbers are a dedicated bunch in general, hopefully they are keeping the places going.

A bunch of volleyball teams quit when they announced that we would have to wear masks. It's essentially a beer league, so the discomfort isn't worth it to some folks, I guess.

My son does an obstacle course class at the local gymnastics place, and they had to go to wearing masks during class as well. This week he was the only kid in class. I'm really worried about that place being able to survive...

Places like DBC just opened a brand new gym this week...
Obviously planned and mostly built before the pandemic; but can you imagine....

07/24 07:00

60min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 1W 14E (4T 1W)x4 24E 1W

07/24 20:30

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x6
Dragon squats 2x3
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU 10x1 40
DL 5x1 350#
BP 3x5 175#
LTK 4x6
Grip work

Good session, felt strong. I'm kind of itching to throw in some swings or TGUs with the beast, but gotta hold back a little- it's only week 2, after all.

The weekend was spent at a softball tournament for my daughter's team. Lots of walking around and shouting, some random acts of mobility, but no formal training. The girls did great, and my daughter blasted one into deep center field for a triple - they probably heard me cheering in the next county. But they lost in the semifinal. They're just a little short of being a championship team at this stage - so many different pieces have to come together at once. Drives my poor wife (their coach) crazy.

07/27 06:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Heavy bag + jump rope

07/27 21:15

Dragon squats 2x3
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU + push press 10x1 36
SQT 3x3 275#
Pullups 3x3 20#
Grip work

Wednesday was a life-got-in-the-way day. Needed to be at work early, so no morning run, and watching a softball game in the evening, so no volleyball. To be honest, it's good to actually have some life to get in the way.

With that said, I also woke up this morning feeling a bit more fatigued than I like - and it showed in the mobility work. I need to respect the heavy barbell weeks, and allow for some deloading on the KB in these weeks. Did so in today's session.

07/30 06:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Crawling 11x40s

07/30 16:30

Dragon squats 2x4
KB1HS 10x10 32
TGU + push press 10x1 36
SQT 3x3 275#
Pullups 3x3 20#
Grip work

07/31 07:00

60min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 1W 14E (4T 1W)x4 24E 1W

Though my HR stayed in a good spot, the RPE on this run was high. Probably some leg fatigue.

07/31 22:00

Dragon squats 2x4
KB1HS 10x10 32
TGU 10x1 32
DL 3x1 395#
BP 3x3 195#
LTK 4x7
Joint plyo series

Late start due to baseball game. Backing down the KB work was definitely the right thing to do for heavy barbell day - this session felt much sharper than Tuesday, and no raw hands.

The GMB guys recently put out an article advocating light plyometrics to improve joint/tendon health. Fits into my views on durability- strong from all angles, and always ready to get hit. So I reckon I'll give it a try for a while.

The GMB guys recently put out an article advocating light plyometrics to improve joint/tendon health. Fits into my views on durability- strong from all angles, and always ready to get hit. So I reckon I'll give it a try for a while.
Very interesting. That is along the lines of what I have been goofing with my “bouncing” workouts. I got the idea from listening to Keith Baar who knows as much about connective tissue as anybody. He also suggests the hack of consuming 15g of gelatin plus vitamin C thirty to sixty minutes before the workout. The idea is that to build this kind of tissue you need the right amino acids in circulation during the exercise. The exercise itself acts a pump to deliver the amino acid to the tissues, which normally have pretty limited circulation. The vitamin C is necessary for the protein uptake and is consumed in the process. (My apologies to any biologist if I am butchering the details, but I am confident in the protocol.) The other interesting take-away from his work is that lower doses (5-10 minutes) work better than longer sessions.

I found a good article in Outside that goes into this. Now I need to check out the GMB guys to see what they are up to.

I found a good article in Outside that goes into this. Now I need to check out the GMB guys to see what they are up to.

This is awesome! Gotta say, when I was a kid, I ate tons of jello, and never seemed to get hurt. Coincidence? ?

But seriously... I used to take fish oil and a multivitamin, but stopped when the science started coming down saying neither really did anything. Might be worth giving some variety of collagen supplement a try for a few months, see if I notice anything.

"Honey, why is there 5 lbs of jello in the fridge?"

"Pre-workout."

Back
Top Bottom