all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

...Keith Baar who knows as much about connective tissue as anybody. He also suggests the hack of consuming 15g of gelatin plus vitamin C thirty to sixty minutes before the workout.
Wow thanks for this rabbit hole @Tim Randolph!
I'm going to try a leg protocol I found based on Keith's work (with Jello ofcourse).

Good stuff about gelatin. I strongly agree. I load with bone broth, meat soups and any gelo containing products mostly at the autumn-winter. Gotta find 0 sugar gelo bears as well...

8/3 06:45

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Heavy bag + jump rope

8/3 21:15

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x6
Dragon squats 2x4
KB1HS 10x10 40,40,48,40,40
TGU + push press 10x1 36,36,40,36,36
SQT 3x5 230#
Pullups 3x4
Grip work

Some musings from today's session: power and durability are two key components of athleticism. Power is about applying force, durability is about resisting it. Durability has to lead power: you can't apply more force than you can resist. Most strength training improves both qualities, though a given movement may lean one way or other.

The kettlebell swing can go either way. A "light" swing is about power; hit the bell as hard as you can out of the hole. At some weight, the swing becomes a durability lesson: you have to fight to keep the bell from burying you in the hole.

Swinging the beast, especially for a set of 10, is definitely durability work for me at this point.

8/6 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
11min crawling 3:1 work:rest

8/6 16:30

Dragon squats 2x4
SQT 3x5 230#
Pullups 3x4
Grip work

Some legitimate chest-to-bar reps on pullups. (y) Also able to close the CoC 1.5 on both hands, though not quite at will. Good day.

8/7 07:30

60min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 1W 14E (4T 1W)x4 24E 1W

Baseball game in the evening, followed by some good family time, so pushed training to Saturday.

8/8 10:00

Dragon squats 2x4
TGU 10x1 40,40,48,40,40
DL 5x1 330#
BP 3x5 165#
LTK 4x5
Joint plyo series

TGUs with the beast have been very tough on the shoulders and forearms. It's definitely a different thing doing those relatively fresh vs doing them after 100 swings.

The kettlebell swing can go either way. A "light" swing is about power; hit the bell as hard as you can out of the hole. At some weight, the swing becomes a durability lesson: you have to fight to keep the bell from burying you in the hole.
So interesting. The power / durability distinction clarifies some of my experiences when moving to heavier bells for swings. But for swings, once you add overspeed eccentrics you absolutely can work on both at the same time. My “durability” bell now for normal swings is likely the 44. But the 36 will give me a hell of a ride when I add speed on the downswing.

But for swings, once you add overspeed eccentrics you absolutely can work on both at the same time.

Excellent point - you can absolute use a lighter bell in a plyometric fashion and get a good durability benefit out of it. This is one of the things I really like about the KB snatch - there's that "snap-back" factor of dealing with the high force of the drop and turning it around quickly to pop the bell back up. To me, that is simply one of the most fun lifts there is.

Sunday was a house projects day, including this little beauty:

hangboard.jpg

I have it set up so I can swap it in and out with my pullup bar in a couple of minutes.

08/10 06:45

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

Was feeling a little run-down this morning, so took it a easy. Sunday I also dug my rings out of the box they were packed in, so I'm getting that incorporated into my shoulder sequence now; using them for rows, and a little hanging L-sit practice. Liked how they felt.

08/10 18:00

Cossack shoulder dislocated 2x6
Dragon squats 2x4
TGU + push press 36,36,40,36,36
SQT 3x5 245#
Pullups 3x5
Grip work
Hang board

Dragon squats have started to get a little "easy", so I tried a few with 10# loading today. Felt good.

The first 3 reps of each pullup set were solid chest-to-bar - I think I can mark the "easy chest-to-bar pullup" goal as accomplished.

The hangboard work really kicked my arse. I can't even properly do the beginner sequence recommend by Metolius, had to use a lot of foot support. @offwidth will surely be laughing at me, as he hangs by 2 fingers and drinks a DFH with the other hand. But, discovering a weakness is always a little exciting; it means there's newbie gainz to be scooped up.

Nice hangboard....
Word of caution my friend... please ease into that thing. It’s easy to go overboard (pun) and wreck havoc on your fingers.
Get prepared to take your grip to a new level...

Word of caution my friend... please ease into that thing. It’s easy to go overboard (pun) and wreck havoc on your fingers.

OMG, I believe it. 5 seconds of dead hang in a 3-finger hold and my wrist started shrieking at me. I wouldn't last long on the side of a mountain...

Plan for now is just twice a week, with plenty of foot assistance. For the foreseeable future, it will be more of a "leanboard" than a hang board.

08/11 06:45

60min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 1W 14E (9T 1W)x2 24E 1W

08/11 14:15

Dragon squats 2x4
TGU 10x1 40,40,48,40,40
DL 5x1 350#
BP 3x5 175#

Hit the gym early, because the afternoon/evening was going to be full of baseball and an outdoor dinner with friends - and also, screw work ?. I actually felt like I hadn't 100% recovered from the morning run, calf threatened to cramp during TGUs. Ran out of time and didn't finish... and after a very busy evening (and a couple beers), completely crashed on the couch.

Woke up Wednesday morning with some groaning from the ankle and hip, so I elected to take the morning off. Realized later that this was probably the result of spending 20-30 minutes in a catcher's squat at baseball practice last night. Yet another thing that would be easier if I were 10# lighter...

Volleyball in the evening. Had a ringer play with us, helped us take 2 games from a team that was also playing with a ringer. My hitting has been a little off lately, but solid defense. Good times.

8/13 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Crawling 11min 3:1 work:rest

8/13 21:30

Dragon squats 2x4 20#
SQT 3x5 245#
Pullups 3x5
Grip work
Hang board

Late start tonight due to championship baseball game. We lost 1-2. It was a pitcher's duel, and we just made too many errors. I think I took it harder than the boys, if I'm honest. I'm definitely ready for a break from coaching for a bit, has just been a bit of a stressful season.

Felt a lot of fatigue in the glutes today, not sure where that's coming from.

Back
Top Bottom