Mobility warmup
Circuit x3
- KB snatch 2x10 28
- Pushups x10
- LTK x5
- GSQT x10 28
- TRX rows x10
- KB press 2x5 28

About 19 minutes for the circuit. I commented a little while ago that, the way most of us train, we aren't conditioned to the burn. Tonight was proof of that - 19 minutes of work was plenty. Planning to try to do a little more periodic "burning" going forward.

12/23 07:30

45min treadmill run/walk 3.1m
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

Looking at my numbers over the last month, it seems like there's been a steady decline in my running, despite getting the time in. I'm hoping that means I've been going too easy (and not that getting some squat strength back necessarily means my running has to drop off). I certainly feel like I have more gas in the tank. When I get back to work next week, going to try to up the intensity just a little, see what I can manage.

12/23 17:15

Deload day 3: agile, mobile, but not so hostile

Agile 8-1
KB good morning 28 / KB pullover 16 3x10
Bretzels / arm bars 28 3x10
Tac frog / hindu pushups 3x10
Cossack front squat 16 / KB overhead kneeling lunge 28 3x10

Has been a while since I did the old EYFS. I felt like I hadn't lost anything - gained some ROM if anything- which is certainly encouraging.

I thought about doing a little heavy bag work to add in some "hostile", but at the end of the sequence my hips and groin were already begging for mercy. Save the hostility for another day.

12/24 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

12/24 14:00

Deload day 4: deload, shmeeload!

Mobility warmup
DL singles 355, 395, 435, 465 #
Overhead press singles 135, 155, 165, miss 175 #
Pullups x9
5min KB snatch x70 (10x7)
Stretching

Wanted to get in one test session this week, see where I'm at. The idea was to do a 90% TSC - not all-out, but enough to know I was working.

DL was solid - that's about the point of technical failure.

I threw in the OP just because I was curious where I'm at. 175 went up, but there was more knee bend there than I can accept for a strict press. Overhead press has always been a bit of a weak point.

Pullups was a little disappointing - I've definitely stagnated there. I feel like my strict form has made a lot of good progress, but I'm just not adding reps. Gotta up the volume somehow, I figure.

Snatches were tough, but it was encouraging that my grip wasn't the weak point. Really, it was my conditioning, and my back. I can snatch the 32 for reps... but doing it after a heavy DL is another ball of wax.

Hard session, but fun.

12/24 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

12/24 14:00

Deload day 4: deload, shmeeload!

Mobility warmup
DL singles 355, 395, 435, 465 #
Overhead press singles 135, 155, 165, miss 175 #
Pullups x9
5min KB snatch x70 (10x7)
Stretching

Wanted to get in one test session this week, see where I'm at. The idea was to do a 90% TSC - not all-out, but enough to know I was working.

DL was solid - that's about the point of technical failure.

I threw in the OP just because I was curious where I'm at. 175 went up, but there was more knee bend there than I can accept for a strict press. Overhead press has always been a bit of a weak point.

Pullups was a little disappointing - I've definitely stagnated there. I feel like my strict form has made a lot of good progress, but I'm just not adding reps. Gotta up the volume somehow, I figure.

Snatches were tough, but it was encouraging that my grip wasn't the weak point. Really, it was my conditioning, and my back. I can snatch the 32 for reps... but doing it after a heavy DL is another ball of wax.

Hard session, but fun.
Strong pulls there Hulkster! ?? Happy holidays!

12/28 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

12/28 16:15

Time to get back on the horse!

Mobility warmup
SQT 3x5 250#
BP 3x5 180#
Pullups 4x5
Grip work
Hang board

Multitude of creaking and groaning from the muscles today. I think a combination of many things:
* A little rust from the deload
* A little residual fatigue from testing day
* I'm not a young man anymore- need to warm up better

The 4th set of pullups was tough. Maybe that's where all the magic will happen.

12/29 07:15

45min treadmill run/walk 3.4m
- 1W 9E (9T 1W)x2 14E 1W
FSPM + kneeling lunge

12/29 16:30

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 20x5 32
LTK 4x5
Joint plyo series

The snatches were done EMOM for the first 17, then fatigue forced me to slow it down a little. Based on how I felt afterwards, probably should have slowed down earlier- that was tough.

EDIT: Corrected the date

Last edited:
Wow, 2020 is done already?! Didn't it just fly by?! ?

Obviously, 2020 will be remembered as a year where nothing went the way anybody expected it to. No 10ks, no OCRs, no (real) TSCs, no karate... even finally lost volleyball too. In the end, though, my training was effected, but not my health or my livelihood - I absolutely consider myself lucky.

When all my competitions/events fell off the calendar, it definitely changed my mindset for training. Rather than pushing towards goals, I transitioned more into a "just put in work" mindset. It was definitely enjoyable, not spending a few days every couple of months where I need to slow down and recovery from some beating I put myself through. And I do believe I've made progress even without those motivators. My squat and bench press are slowly making a comeback, though I think it's going to be another year or two before they are anywhere close to where I'd like them to be. Mobility has made some good progress; tough to measure objectively, but my forward fold, tac frog and seated twist are all "feeling" easier. And I feel like I've really done some good bulletproofing on my core - haven't had any sort of persistent back pain in a long time now. Plus, I can do a real hanging leg raise now - I'm proud of that.

But, as one might expect, the shift in focus means my original 2020 goals didn't end up getting a lot of love:
  • Grip: this is the one place where I feel like made some progress, between the hangboard work (which I've really been enjoying) and the CoC grippers. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out on the obstacle course for 2021 and take it for a spin.
  • 500# DL: getting close, but no cigar. I've got some weak links in the chain that I think I need to address first; my new goal here is a "pain -free" DL - no technical breakdown. I don't want to do it, but then have to rest for 3 days afterwards.
  • 15 pullups: not even close! My low-rep pull strength has increased, but I've regressed in terms of max reps, as I haven't been chasing volume here.
  • 5min snatch test with the 32: well, at least I had the guts to try it! My one significant injury for the year was a wrist sprain that kept me from snatching for a while after the first virtual TSC. But that's finally healed up, and the cycle I'm setting off on now will have a lot more snatching. So this goal is firmly on the table for 2021.
  • Press 40x3: Nope. Made some improvement in overhead press, but this remains a weak point.
  • 50x pushups: What was I thinking?! This wasn't realistic, I set this before I knew where I was.
  • Pain-free 60min 10k: Nope. Running volume came down quite a bit when I shifted focus, and particularly when I re-introduced the back squat. But, I feel like my volleyball hops have made some good gains since coming back to the barbell... so, I'm gonna stick with the squat for a while, and accept that running speed isn't going to come quickly.
On top of that, the other thing that happened when I shifted focus was that I lost some "fight". I feel strong, but not primed for maximum effort. I'm certain that, even though I'm feeling "in shape", going in for 1.5 hours of karate right now would probably bury me. So, as I set out on this new year, one of my general goals will be to get back into fighting shape.

Nobody knows what 2021 is really going to look like, of course... but, as I am a firm believer that having goals is important, he's where I'm shooting.
  • 485# pain-free DL - feel like I could go in on any day, load 485 on the bar and just do it, without having to get psyched up and without any technical breakdown. I think 465 is about where I am with that today.
  • 365# squat
  • 265# bench
  • Pass the snatch test with the 32. I think this will be a good goal to work on for getting some fight back into my training.
  • Get back to x13 pullups
  • Pain-free 68min 10k (i.e. 11 minutes miles)
  • Get back on whatever horses are there to ride - races, karate, whatever
While I feel like overhead press is a weak point, I want to focus for a while on the snatch, and I don't think my shoulders could take chasing both of those at the same time. So, no press goal for now.

Happy new year to all my StrongFirst brothers and sisters. No matter what else is going on, it's always a good year to smash.

Poor sleep last night, woke up early, so just got to it.

12/31 05:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

12/31 11:00

Mobility warmup
SQT 3x5 250#
BP 3x5 180#
DL 1x5 350#

Squats and bench were good, did myself a favor and warmed up more. A set of 5 on deadlift, as opposed to 5 singles, is a lot more taxing, but that was solid too.

I was going to add in some pullups, but I woke up with a sore deltoid today (may be the reason I didn't sleep well), and it wasn't interested in pullups. I think it was a result of a fatigue-driven technique failure on snatches on Tuesday... gotta learn to manage that better.

Now, for some revels with the family.

Back
Top Bottom