all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

how do you keep glycogen content high, but lose fat?
I think the better question is how do you train (and live) so that your glycogen stores aren’t such an important variable for a run? For a MAF style run-walk, the goal is to fuel the run mostly with fat. Along these lines something that worked for me was running in a fasted state first thing in the morning and not “fueling” on bars or drinks before during or after. This made me a better fat burner, but I suspect it also encouraged my body to store more glycogen since that system was being asked to deliver at least a bit even when there stores weren’t full.

I think the better question is how do you train (and live) so that your glycogen stores aren’t such an important variable for a run? For a MAF style run-walk, the goal is to fuel the run mostly with fat. Along these lines something that worked for me was running in a fasted state first thing in the morning and not “fueling” on bars or drinks before during or after. This made me a better fat burner, but I suspect it also encouraged my body to store more glycogen since that system was being asked to deliver at least a bit even when there stores weren’t full.
I do always run fasted, though certainly it's not that long (9-10 hours at most). The bars/drinks comment reminds me of old story; when I first got to college, the weight room had free energy bars. Being a big guy who never turned down free food, I would eat one every day. One day, they happened to be out of them... and that felt like the worst workout of my life! So I never touched them again, didn't want to get "hooked".

Train on fats - race on carbs
This and @Tim Randolph 's comment make sense to me... for endurance-related endeavors. It seems to me, though, that the same does not apply to max strength/power endeavors. Take the extreme example of sprinters - they aren't looking to be "fat adapted", the fat fuel system can't really kick on in 10-20 seconds anyway. They want to get good at burning the "go hard" fuel efficiently... and then be good at restocking it as soon as they can to do it again (A+A-ish).

I've certainly found that for myself... high-tension stuff is way better for me in the afternoon/evening (i.e. not fasted) than in the early morning. Maybe that's just yet another case of why most of us can't be world-class marathoners and powerlifters at the same time.

2/22 07:30

BAN practice
Trifecta
OP 4x5 125#
TRX deck squats 4x8
Shoulder sequence

2/22 17:45

Mobility warmup
FQST 3x5 230#
BP 3x5 200#
Pullups 4x5 10#
Grip work

Felt a little grumbling from the left groin during warmup, which I wasn't feeling in the morning - I'm betting that's coming from the deck squat, some weakness in the support muscle in the very bottom of the squat. Yet another thing to work on.

Good session - but I felt really wiped out an hour or so later. Legs were really barking.

Missed my run again this morning because life. Tuesday mornings are just getting too busy, I'm not sure I can plan on those being training sessions. And, in a couple months, baseball coaching will be firing up again, which will take more time & energy. A reckoning between training and life is coming, without a doubt...

2/23 18:00

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 26x5 32 33m40s
TGU 10x1 40

Oof, that was tough - hips and lower back are whimpering for mercy. Doing regular sessions of 30 repeats must really put you in a different class of human being...

We have a saying in climbing.... ‘climb now, work later’
Clearly, the solution is to work at the top of the mountain. Make the climb the commute.

For a few sweet years, my work was only a few miles from my house, and in the summer I'd bike to work whenever I could, without being a sweaty mess when I arrived or having to worry about getting caught in the weather (even I can handle a couple miles of wind or rain). Then, sadly, work moved 20 miles away...

Clearly, the solution is to work at the top of the mountain. Make the climb the commute.

For a few sweet years, my work was only a few miles from my house, and in the summer I'd bike to work whenever I could, without being a sweaty mess when I arrived or having to worry about getting caught in the weather (even I can handle a couple miles of wind or rain). Then, sadly, work moved 20 miles away...
That’s a perfect bike commute distance...

That’s a perfect bike commute distance...
For a hard-core (or maybe even medium-core) biker, sure... I've got a few co-workers who make that ride frequently. For me... between needing to get the kids off to school in the morning, and sometimes meet them early afterschool for practices or whatever, I'd be able to stay a work for something like 2 hours! OK by me, of course... would probably start to effect my performance reviews at some point...

Back was a little sore today - must have overdone it on snatches yesterday. Probably not a good idea to try to bump the snatch volume at the same time I'm relearning the front squat- don't turn too many knobs at the same time.

2/25 07:15

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 13,18,14,14,14
32min treadmill run/walk 2.4m
- 1W 30E 1W
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

Volleyball in the evening. Felt like I was moving well in spite of the sore back. Fingers crossed that it's temporary.

2/26 08:00

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 14,19,15,13,11

Was supposed to go skiing with the family this afternoon... but it ended up being 30 mph wind gusts and -20 wind chill. So, we aborted, and I went to lift instead.

2/26 14:00

Mobility warmup
FSQT 3x5 230#
BP 3x5 200#
Pull-ups 3x5 10#
Grip work
Hang board

Back twinged a little during squats- clearly wasn't 100% yet. Figure I'll take the next week off of anything that stresses the lower back.

How many times to I need to learn this same lesson? ?‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom