all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I woke up on Thursday feeling just generally banged up. I must have taken a bad swing at volleyball, my shoulder and elbow were both groaning. Back was stiff. Ankles and knees were creaky. So, time to abort mission on the current cycle, take it easy for a bit, and come back after a recharge.

6/4 08:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

Gotta say, I really believe in the trifecta. I just feel generally good afterwards.

I woke up on Thursday feeling just generally banged up. I must have taken a bad swing at volleyball, my shoulder and elbow were both groaning. Back was stiff. Ankles and knees were creaky. So, time to abort mission on the current cycle, take it easy for a bit, and come back after a recharge.
Do you think this^^?
So, I read the kettlebell mile article, wasn't really in the mood to do anything this morning, decided WTH, let's try it... and yeah, that sucked! In addition to totally messing with my gait, my grip endurance just sucked. And that was at slow walk pace, and only half a mile! Yet another weakness exposed.
Had anything to do with this^^?
I always look to changes I made recently when problems come up, what you did with the KBM was significant I think. I do a lot of general 'sameness' now as I get older, the cost of doing out of the ordinary stuff can be high if I go too ape-nut on it.

Took Saturday off, since I still wasn't feeling 100%. We had our first baseball practice in what I would call significant heat (high 80s), and that just wiped everybody out - kids and me alike. When I got home I peeled off the sweaty shirt, flopped down in bed, and promptly feel asleep for a solid hour. Glorious.

Woke up Sunday morning, and my back felt... great! No soreness, no stiffness, just ready to get up and go. Seems like I haven't felt that way in a while. KB mile (or half-mile) attempt aside (and I'm sure that didn't help either), I think that just kind of shows that I have been punishing my back a little too much lately. I've said before on this log that mixing heavy deadlifts and heavy swings is not a good idea, and I had been doing exactly that... but, when I'm feeling good, and trying to prepare for a TSC (which I think should really be called the lower-back challenge), I tend to forget the lessons of the past and get after it. Well, next TSC is long off on the horizon, time to train a little smarter... for a little while, at least. ?

Put in about 90 minutes of physical labor outside Sunday morning, doing a volunteer project clearing weeds out of a drainage ditch using an old-school non-motorized weed whacker (kind of like a mini scythe). It was actually fun, hard work - very A+A. Take 10 cuts at the weeds, rest for 20 seconds, repeat. I was hitting the weeds so hard I bent up their tools a little bit, which I felt a little bad about... but, if I'm honest, I also felt a little awesome about. ?

While I was sitting outside having lunch on Sunday, my allergies suddenly activated. It's like it was instantaneous. Had been feeling just fine, no symptoms all season right up until that moment. Then in 30 seconds I became a snotty, bleary-eyed mess. Time to retreat back to the basement!

6/6 17:45

BAN practice
EYFS +

Tried to sit in a front split for a while after I was done, and ended up getting some wicked quad spasms. Didn't exactly relax into that stretch...

Monday was a scheduled lazy day, with a baseball game - in which my boys played some sick defense. Had an awesome stretch to get the catch/out at 1st base (by my son), had the smallest kid on the team catch 2 pop flies, had an awesome relay from the outfield change a double into a tag out at 2nd, and even had a double play! One of those days that makes the frustrating days worthwhile.

6/8 8:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

6/8 18:00

Squat mobility
KB1HS 10x10 40
TGU 10x1 40
Pushups 3x10

I'm formulating a plan for next cycle that will be a mix of S&S and the barbell. Today was a little bit of a test session - see where it makes sense to start off. And the answer is, not with the 40! This wasn't too rough, but I can tell if I want to leave some space for a little barbell work, that's not the right weight to do it.

A couple years ago, when my training consisted of a lot more S&S sessions, doing the 40 was "easy". I really believe I'm stronger today in most ways - but that didn't translate into this being easy. Kind of dovetails into a discussion on @Phil12 's log recently. Being generally strong is obviously what we all want, but that doesn't mean things will be "easy" - in the end specificity will win out over generalization. But being generally strong gives you lots of options when you decide to pursue a little specificity.

Would be nice to get back to a solid getup with the best, that seems like a good goal for the next couple of months.

A couple years ago, when my training consisted of a lot more S&S sessions, doing the 40 was "easy". I really believe I'm stronger today in most ways - but that didn't translate into this being easy.
I know this feeling, a few yrs ago I was doing S&S four or five times a week to the testing time standard 16 minutes with 36k, about a year ago I tried to duplicate that with the 32k Bell and fell short on the get-ups.. That was disappointing to say the least, of course back then I couldn't do what I'm doing now so I guess it all evens out.
Like you said I feel stronger overall and more fit today than I did back then. You can't do everything all of the time, if you get too many plates spinning you're going to drop something.

6/13 11:00

Samurai getups x10
Belly getups x10
BAN practice
70min treadmill run/walk 5.2m
- 1W 60E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

Nostalgia for the day: remember when Robocop 2 was the most incredible robot fight you had ever seen in a movie? ? Until Terminator 2 came in the next year and really threw down the robot-fight gauntlet. What a great time to be a teenage boy...

6/16 07:30

BAN practice
17min treadmill ruck 1.0m 35# 3.5% incline
FSPM + front splits

My ability to force myself to run after squat day has really been poor lately, and last week's KB half mile showed me that I'm not conditioned to carry weight for time... so, for a few weeks, Wednesday will be ruck day. Need to ease into it for sure... this didn't get my HR up very high, but it felt like plenty of work for day 1.

Volleyball in the evening. We played ok, but went 1-3. Last week of playing up - next week we should be returning to the lower division (where we belong)

This is what I have been wrestling with as well as you may have picked up on in my post about supplemental leg training. I want my legs to be mostly ‘fresh’ for riding days, and if I do any significant amount of leg work on the off days then they aren’t.
Yeah, it's definitely a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" kind of scenario. I've had decent luck with running in the morning on squat day (8+ hours before squatting), but have to be careful there too - if I run too hard, the support musculature (hips, groin, knees) gets grumpy during squats. But it seems like, for me, the recovery time for squatting is longer than the recovery time for easy running - 12 hours doesn't seem to quite be enough to feel "fresh".

This is what I have been wrestling with as well as you may have picked up on in my post about supplemental leg training. I want my legs to be mostly ‘fresh’ for riding days, and if I do any significant amount of leg work on the off days then they aren’t.

Yeah, it's definitely a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" kind of scenario. I've had decent luck with running in the morning on squat day (8+ hours before squatting), but have to be careful there too - if I run too hard, the support musculature (hips, groin, knees) gets grumpy during squats. But it seems like, for me, the recovery time for squatting is longer than the recovery time for easy running - 12 hours doesn't seem to quite be enough to feel "fresh".
This is what I've been struggling with for awhile, I'd like to do some squat work but not if it's interfering with run work. A pleasant surprise is doing power jumps seems to give my legs some extra spring while running without a heavy leg feeling squats give the next day.
Now that the calf issue has been settled jumps are firmly on the radar and will be included with NS burpees.

This is what I've been struggling with for awhile, I'd like to do some squat work but not if it's interfering with run work. A pleasant surprise is doing power jumps seems to give my legs some extra spring while running without a heavy leg feeling squats give the next day.
Now that the calf issue has been settled jumps are firmly on the radar and will be included with NS burpees.
I've found the same - the recovery time from jumping isn't so long.

I wonder if it's the partial ROM - you typically wouldn't start a jump from way down in the hole. I wonder if a partial ROM squat might be a compromise path there.

Back
Top Bottom