all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

10/22 06:00

Agile 8-1 + 4x10
61min treadmill run / walk 4.1m

10/22 13:00

Static stretching sequence x1

Part of my stretching sequence is a 45s bar hang, with 1 pullup after about 30s. I was wearing a long-sleeve button-up shirt at work today (where I was stretching) with the sleeves rolled to the elbows. When I did the pullup, both sleeves ripped at the elbows. Hulk smash! :cool:

10/22 18:50

Karate practice

10/24 06:00

5min samurai getups
EYFS +
- 10x on pullovers
- 8x on Cossacks. Oof, that's tough.

10/24 13:00

Took the evening off, save it for TSC.

Realized today that I've scheduled myself a bit of a hellacious month. TSC this weekend, karate tournament next weekend, 10k race after that, then a Spartan. Then it will be a good time week or two off, I figure.

Thanks @Phil12 and @offwidth

10/25 06:00

Agile 8-1 + 4x10 pushups
61min treadmill run/walk 4.3m

Good run, close to unbroken. Probably a little extra energy due to skipping evening training yesterday.

Nothing else on Friday.

10/26 10:30

TSC

DL 445, 475, miss 500 (new PR, old PR 465)
Pullups x12 (PR x13)
KB snatch 24 x124 (PR x127)

On DL, I hit my 2x BW goal on the second lift (weighed in at 235), and it went up easy. So, I thought, WTH let's see what I can do. I broke 500 off the floor, but my back started to round before I got to the knees, so I bailed out. But I think that will be a good goal for next year. Interestingly, that's literally the first DL I've ever missed. I only started training it 2 years ago or so, and TSC is the only time I test.

The missed DL definitely took some out of me. I got no-counted on rep on pullups - just a little disappointed with performance there. But coming so close to my PR on the snatches given how fatigued my back was feeling is a definite victory.

Fun day as always. (y)

I really gotta find a way to up my pullup game. I'm in the hunt on DL and snatches, but with anything below 15, the pullup score really drags me down. I'm thinking some ROP over the winter.

And, losing 10# wouldn't hurt...

Opted to sleep in this morning - still feeling a little wiped from Saturday.

10/28 20:15

5min samurai getups
EYFS +
Grip circuit 3x5
- Cannonball hang
- Fingertip pushups
- One-arm hang x side
- Towel hang

Grip circuit was tough - indicating I should do it more.

Feeling almost normal by the evening.

10/29 06:00

Agile 8-1 + 4x10 pushups
62min treadmill run / walk 4.4m

10/29 13:30

10/29 21:00

GSQT 3x5 48,48,28 with curl
Halo 3x5 24
Bridge 3x6
Wall overhead extensions 3x6
KB snatch 22x5 32 EMOM
TGU 5x1 x side 40

Good news: 110 snatches with the 32, in pretty good time.

Bad news: Form fell apart in the final 2 sets - grip on left in particular gave out. Noted that my HR was gradually creeping up too - not too high, but an upward trend. Probably not the real spirit of A+A ... but at the same time, it's tough to give up so much time to get full recovery.

10/30 06:00

Agile 8-1 + 4x10 pushups
47min treadmill run / walk 3.3m

Volleyball in the evening. Felt pretty sharp, and realized why my serve has been poor lately - striking with too much arm extension. Let the ball come down just a little more, and put some pepper on it.

10/31 06:00

5min samurai getups
EYFS +

10/31 15:00

A little LSS low temperature training, a.k.a. taking my son trick-or-treating.

10/31 21:30

GSQT 3x5 48,48,28 with curl
Halo 3x5 24
Bridge 3x6
Wall overhead extensions 3x6
DL 1x5 325#
Pullups 7,6,5,4
ZSQT 3x5 175#
BB side press 4x5 65#
Flat frog raise 2x11, flat leg raise x8
Grip circuit x3
+ 45# bumper plate pinch hold - left hand really sucks at this

DL + one arm bar hang = no can do! Tough.

Struggling a little bit on what to do with leg raises. It's a move I want to master because I think it will be particularly applicable to karate. But it feels like hamstring flexibility is the limiting factor right now. So... try to keep increasing rep count (convict conditioning style)? Treat it like a stretch, and spend more time in the uncomfortable spot (less reps slower)? Break it in two (maybe ab wheel roll + more stretching )?

I'm leaning towards less reps slower.

11/02 09:00

Karate tournament. Bit of bad luck on the draws, lost in the first round for both kata and sparring to the guy who would go on to win the division. Was pretty pleased with my kata - executed a new kata for me, and felt sharp. But the other guy was just really good - very impressive balance. Felt good sparring too, but I remain frustrated with the judged nature of it - feel like a lot of points scored against me were ghost punches. The last one was so bad even the other guy had to shrug his shoulders. Oh well.

Since I didn't get much work at the tournament, had some extra energy for a conditioning session.

11/02 14:30

5min jump rope
Heavy bag 1min on 2min off x6
Burpees 25x3

I would always seem to get lousy draws in every Kendo tournament I was ever in....

Plus when we did Kata for gradings (they are 2 person Katas) I would always get some chucklehead who didn't know their part; which of course can mess your part up...

Plus when we did Kata for gradings (they are 2 person Katas) I would always get some chucklehead who didn't know their part; which of course can mess your part up...

Oof. Arbitrary judging, plus an unknown/unreliable partner. Fun.

I suppose it's more civil than old-school rules, though (first guy to die loses).

Back
Top Bottom