all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

02/19 06:00

Trifecta + rows
40min treadmill run/walk 2.7m

No volleyball this evening, so got in a little conditioning.

02/19 21:00

Circuit x3
- Jump rope x50
- Shoulder dislocates x8
Circuit x20
- Burpees x3
- Agility drill (jump rope, side shuffle or front/back shuffle)
Grip circuit x3

Easy pace today, no clock. Really shows how poor my footwork is. I've been continuing to integrate jump roping as active rest, but it'll take a while to show benefits, I expect.

A bit fatigued in GTG work today. Probably the recent step up in volume, might also be that it feels like another cold is coming on.

Pushups: 6x12
Close squats: 6x13
EOD stretching sequence x1
RAGS: 23

EDIT: 20x on burpees, not x10

Last edited:
Have been knocked out for a couple days with a nasty cold. Not as disruptive to sleep as the last one, but really taken a toll on the body - just feeling worn out. Finally getting back on the horse today, but still recovering.

RAGS: 23

On the road. Now, I know I said no heavy stuff... but, I passed by a crossfit box about 1/4 mile away from my hotel, and I really wasn't in the mood for a pathetic hotel gym session with a treadmill and a 50# dumbbell.. plus I was eagar to get back into deadlifting. So:

02/25 18:30

DB GSQT 2x5 100#
Shoulder dislocates 2x8
DL 15x1 315#
KB snatch 20x4 32
Pullups 3,2,1 +8, 4,3,2,1 BW
Plate pinch farmer's carry x3 45#×2

Starting off with some vodka and pickles to ramp back into things. Lots of jump roping sprinkled between sets, and some 1 arm bar hanging, which is much easier when everything is covered in chalk (as in a crossfit box).

GTG will be a little light over the next couple days due to travel and work meetings.

Pushups: 4x12
Close squats: 4x12
RAGS: 24

02/26 17:30

45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m

Fun accidental discovery from today while doing pushups in a hotel room: want to know how much belly fat you have? Take your shirt off and do a plank in front of a mirror. Gravity gets a hold of it and stretches it out nicely for you. ?

Pushups: 3x12
Close squats: 3x12

EDIT: fix date

Last edited:
02/27 17:00

GSQT 2x5 56
Shoulder dislocates 2x8
DL 15x1 340#
KB1HS 10x5 56
KB snatch 10x5 32
Pullups 5,4,3,2,1
+ rows to total of 6 reps every set
Waiter carry x3 32
1 arm ring hangs x3
DB jar carry x3 35#
Plate pinch hold 45#
FSPM

Had the evening all to myself, went for a long session. Crossfit box didn't have a 48 KB... but it had a 56 (and a 64). I figured, how many times will I have a chance to swing a 56? Wasn't to chest height, but good stuff. Taxing day for the hands.

Close squats: 6x12
RAGS: 25

EDIT: fix date

Last edited:
KB1HS 10x5 56

[...]

Had the evening all to myself, went for a long session. Crossfit box didn't have a 48 KB... but it had a 56 (and a 64).
Wow!
Beastly Swings @WhatWouldHulkDo !

But also... They must have some amazing athletes at this CrossFit box that they are using 56 and 64kg kettlebells without ever having touched a 48kg.

Thanks @Phil12 and @Kiacek . I kind of felt like Pavel M... except he's half my size and does double the volume ?

They must have some amazing athletes at this CrossFit box that they are using 56 and 64kg kettlebells without ever having touched a 48kg.

Ha! From the couple of classes I saw going on while I was there, I don't think swinging kettlebells is really their thing. Seems like those bells mostly get used for carries.

Not much training over the weekend. Friday was a flight back home, which, coupled with being a little worn out from Thursday, left me in a poor state.

02/28
Pushups 6x12
Close squats 6x13

02/29
Pushups 6x12
Close squats 6x13

On Sunday, spent most of the day doing cold tempering - stood outside for 3 hours or so in 30-40 degree weather watching my daughter's practice softball tournament. Fun to watch... but, left me feeling pretty wiped out.

EDIT: Fixed incomplete sentence... looks like my brain shut off before.

Last edited:
03/02 06:00

Trifecta + rows
EYFS

Slow going this morning. Hamstrings have been pretty tight the last few days, probably from firing up deadlifts again.

03/02 21:00

GSQT 2x5 48
Shoulder dislocates 2x8
DL 12x1 365#
KB snatch 16x5 36
Circuit
- Pullups 5,4,3,2,2
- Rows 1,2,3,4,4
- KB C&P x1 36, x2 36, x3 32, x4 32, x5 28
Grip circuit x2

Deadlifting on carpet feels weird and wrong. But it feels better than not doing it, so here I am.

Cracked out a new member of the KB family today, the 36. Snatches felt comfortable. But at the same time, my initial target was 20 sets, but I had to cut it off because it felt like power was dropping. Didn't leave much in the tank for grip work later.

Pushups: 8x12
Close squats: 8x13
RAGS: 26

Ever have one of those days where the alarm goes off in the morning, but you were right in the deepest part of your sleep cycle, and it feels like if you got up you'd just collapse in a heap on the floor? That happened today. So I opted for a rest day.

Volleyball in the evening, went our standard 1-2. Haven't played in a while, so I was definitely rusty, but I was hitting well - me and a kid on the other team got a pretty good hitting/ blocking battle going, it was fun.

For GTG work, I've been thinking that close squats are starting to get "easy", so it's time to go to another progression. But next step is some form of single leg work, and I'm worried that I'm just not strong enough to get good ROM on a single leg yet. I thought about going back to some kind of barbell squat... but realized that the thing I like most about bodyweight squat modalities is that they are easy on the back - leaves plenty of room for deadlifting and swinging kettlebells. Figure I'll test my partial- depth uneven squat on Saturday, and transition to those for a while. Thinking I might move pullups over into GTG work too - need to rack up more volume, and limit the time of my max strength sessions.

next step is some form of single leg work, and I'm worried that I'm just not strong enough to get good ROM on a single leg yet
No way man; you're a beast.
There is just no way that strength is the issue, you are far too strong for that to be the problem @WhatWouldHulkDo .
I could see ankle or quad flexibility restricting you so that you were fighting your own movement restrictions, or maybe your adductors not being patterned to fire to keep your alignment, but it just can't be strength that's the issue.

@Kiacek , @offwidth , thanks for the kind words. But... isn't the answer to all of life's problems that you must get stronger? ?

I'm sure you're right, though... it's more a matter of some weak link in the stabilizer chain, as opposed to a matter of raw "stand the $#%* up" strength. So all the barbell squatting in the world probably wouldn't get me to a single-leg squat, at some point I just gotta start practicing it. What better time than now, right?

03/05 05:45

5min samurai getups
Trifecta + rows
EYFS

Slow going this morning - took 80+ minutes. Didn't feel like I was wasting a lot of time... but, I was dang fatigued at the end. Did a set of pushups afterwards, and hips/groin were really groaning in the plank.

Going to have to trim these sessions back to an hour, somehow or other.

03/05 21:00

GSQT 2x5 48
Shoulder dislocates 2x8
DL 8x1 390#
KB1HS 10x7 48
Grip circuit x3

Fatigue continued into the evening session - was a definite grind.

All double overhand grip on the deadlifts, that's encouraging. Felt pretty good all around, despite fatigue - good leg drive, keeping the tension where I wanted it.

Tried a few snatches after the swings, but the hands just weren't having it. Grip was already pretty worn out by the time grip circuit came around. Got just one more session on this cycle, then will be switching to alternating between DL and swings in each strength session.

I was planning to move pullups into GTG work today. I got to work, and discovered that headquarters had ordered all on-site cafeterias and gyms closed due to coronavirus concerns. ? Who cares if you have virus-free employees if none of them can do pullups?

Pushups: 8x12
Close squats: 8x13
Pullups: 6x3
RAGS: 27

Lazy day on Friday. Up too late last night, opted not to wake up early to run, and didn't make it up later despite ample opportunity. My zeal for LSD is at a low point at the moment - need to pick it back up or I'll really be hating myself at my first 10k in May.

03/06 18:00

Trifecta + rows
Short grip circuit x3

Pullups: 6x3
RAGS: 28

03/07 10:00

GTG tests
- Pushups x26
- Box pistols 19"
-- Left x6
-- Right x8
- Pullups x5

Well, gaining a couple reps a month would be solid progress, I'll take it.

I developed a knot in my neck right after testing pushups. I think it actually came from going to the batting cages for the first time in a long while, but somehow pushups set it off. I think that affected my pullup test too... though also, I'm doing these a lot more strict than TSC pullups - dead stop at the bottom, touching neck to bar as low as possible and holding for a second. Someday hopefully just 1 rep of that will actually feel easy someday...

03/07 16:00

GSQT 2x5 48
Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x8
- Inspired by the Ronda Rousey video on Barbell training as mobility work?
KB snatch 20x5 36
TGU 5x1 x side 28, 32x4

Haven't done a TGU in a while due to the pec strain from back in August. Still feeling it a little, but time to get back on the horse.

Was supposed to be a high volume GTG day, but just to busy with family stuff.

Pushups 4x13
Box pistols 4x4 x side
Pullups 4x3

No training on Sunday, just some light mobility while watching softball.

Back
Top Bottom