all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

9/18 08:45

CerusLuv OCR

An obstacle course race - been a while since one of those! Course was around 3 miles I think, with 20 obstacles.

Pretty good day, I only failed two obstacles. One was a sort of giant wooden spool balancing obstacle, which definitely was more difficult if, like myself, you weigh more than the spool. Unfortunately spending a bunch of time trying to negotiate that obstacle wiped out my calves, and they ended up cramping on the next obstacle.

The other failure was a massive ropes rig right at the end. I had actually completed that obstacle last time I did this race 2 years ago, but this time there were a few more grip challenges earlier in the race, so my grip was already a little wiped by the time I got there. And... I'm carrying about 10 extra pounds of pandemic weight right now ?, definitely makes climbing obstacles tougher.

Came away with a few bruises and scrapes, but all in all a good time.

9/21 07:30

Trifecta

I've been having a tough time lately with... time. I just haven't been able to get going early enough in the morning to train and also get in all my dad duties. On the plus side, the extra rest/laziness seems to have left a lot of extra energy for volleyball. We played on Wednesday, and I was hammering the ball.

9/23 21:00

Burpees 10x2
SQT 250#x5, 280#x3, 315#x4
TGU 10x1 32,40x2,32x2
Tabata heavy bag

9/25 17:00

KB snatch 10x5 32,36x2,32x2
OP 100#x5, 115#x5, 130#x7
Pull-ups 6,5,4,4,3
Grip work
Hangboard

I have a theory that putting heavy things over your head - be it a snatch, press, TGU, whatever - is the key to longevity. It involves a level of trust that all parts of your body will respond when you call on them. When you lose that trust... that might be when you get "old".

Figure I'll try it out for the next 30 years, see if it works.

I have a theory that putting heavy things over your head - be it a snatch, press, TGU, whatever - is the key to longevity. It involves a level of trust that all parts of your body will respond when you call on them. When you lose that trust... that might be when you get "old".

Figure I'll try it out for the next 30 years, see if it works.
You could be onto something there.. grip strength is also a good indicator of how the body is doing. I think being mindful of our overall condition both internally and externally is paramount, on top of that taking care of your posture and getting enough sleep cannot be overstated in my humble opinion.

Back twinge has kept me out of the gym for a few days. It's not the worst I've had, but I'm determined to "not be dumb" with this one, and just give it time to heal. Played volleyball on Wednesday, and it definitely affected my mobility.

I think the lesson I'm taking from this one is that I probably need to have 2 light days between heavy lifting days - which really means I should probably stick to heavy lifting just 2 days a week. I think this is a result of the Monday snatches being too close to the Saturday squats.

Back twinge has kept me out of the gym for a few days. It's not the worst I've had, but I'm determined to "not be dumb" with this one, and just give it time to heal. Played volleyball on Wednesday, and it definitely affected my mobility.

I think the lesson I'm taking from this one is that I probably need to have 2 light days between heavy lifting days - which really means I should probably stick to heavy lifting just 2 days a week. I think this is a result of the Monday snatches being too close to the Saturday squats.
I'm almost convinced seasonal change has something to do with injuries, seems to be a pattern with me, though you make a good point on separating heavy days with more time in between sessions.

Back
Top Bottom