all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Interesting observation over the weekend; running seems to be bothering my back more than lifting. Sunday (after Saturday's run) I was feeling a lot more tightness than I felt on Friday after lifting - doing some evening stretches, it was really hard to touch my toes. Probably not unique by any means, but something I haven't observed before.

10/25 12:00

Daily mobility

10/25 16:30

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 205, 225, 205#x3
Pushups x10, x11, 3x10
OP 5x5 95, 105, 95#x3
Ab wheel x5, x6, 3x5
Pull-ups 7,6,5,5,4
Grip work

So hard to stay patient. My back was feeling much better today, so my lizard brain was shouting, "Let's lift heavier! This light stuff is wasting time!" But, plan is to take several weeks doing this kind of "general toughening" work, with a slow ramp up. Stick to the plan, lizard brain.

10/26 12:00

Daily mobility

10/27 7:30

Daily mobility

Volleyball in the evening. Not a bad night - I felt like I was hitting really well, including one where I jumped with the intent to hit it with my right hand, but changed my mind in the air and smacked it left-handed. Putting one down left-handed just feel good.

[Insert Inigo Montoya meme here]

10/28 7:30

Daily mobility
Trifecta

Well... at least I'm hitting the daily mobility pretty regularly.

In addition to the back strain (which feels like it's pretty well healed up now), I've also been trying to figure out how to deal with my schedule. Got 1 kid in high school, 1 in middle school, and somehow helping them get running in the morning has really just fouled up my morning schedule. Combine that with fall baseball practices... training has just not been making it to the top of the priority list, sadly.

Baseball ends this week... so I'll have a solid month to hit the training hard again... then basketball starts. Coach Dad's work is never done.

10/29 08:00

Daily mobility
32min treadmill run/walk 2.3m
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

10/30 10:00

TSC (with visiting champ @LoriLifts )

DL 455, 475, no 3rd attempt (PR 500)
Pull-ups x11 (PR 13)
KB snatch 32 x78 (PR 84)

Very good day, particularly considering I hadn't deadlifted or snatched in almost a month. Goal for today was not to aggravate my back, and mission accomplished on that.

Both deadlifts went up pretty easy. I'm confident I could have pulled 495... but at 475 I felt little more rounding in the top of my back than I wanted, so decided to leave some in the tank and forgo a 3rd attempt. Have to admit, I had to fight back a lot of ego to make that happen, particularly since this kid who was there pulled 495 for his 3rd attempt. The lizard brain was shouting at me "we can do that too, go show them!"

Pull-ups were surprisingly good - particularly given that I'm about 15# heavier than I'd like to be right now. Didn't increase my numbers, but I think those were the strictest pull-ups I've ever done. The judge was calling them very tight - as he should. He also insisted that we use thumbless grip (is that in the rules now?), which I've never done before - maybe that was part of it, who knows.

Pleased with the snatches too - no bad at all considering I didn't do any snatch test prep ahead of this. @LoriLifts was going at the same time, and any time I thought about slowing down, the judge would yell out her count, reminding me how far ahead of me she was, so I was compelled to keep at it.

Good stuff.

Daily mobility

Pull-ups x11 (PR 13)
KB snatch 32 x78 (PR 84)

Very good day, particularly considering I hadn't deadlifted or snatched in almost a month. Goal for today was not to aggravate my back, and mission accomplished on that.

Both deadlifts went up pretty easy. I'm confident I could have pulled 495... but at 475 I felt little more rounding in the top of my back than I wanted, so decided to leave some in the tank and forgo a 3rd attempt. Have to admit, I had to fight back a lot of ego to make that happen, particularly since this kid who was there pulled 495 for his 3rd attempt. The lizard brain was shouting at me "we can do that too, go show them!"

Pull-ups were surprisingly good - particularly given that I'm about 15# heavier than I'd like to be right now. Didn't increase my numbers, but I think those were the strictest pull-ups I've ever done. The judge was calling them very tight - as he should. He also insisted that we use thumbless grip (is that in the rules now?), which I've never done before - maybe that was part of it, who knows.

Pleased with the snatches too - no bad at all considering I didn't do any snatch test prep ahead of this. @LoriLifts was going at the same time, and any time I thought about slowing down, the judge would yell out her count, reminding me how far ahead of me she was, so I was compelled to keep at it.

Good stuff.
Pretty dang good Hulkster!
I'm especially surprised with those pull-up numbers after gaining 15 lbs. The ST numbers are also phenomenal for not prep training.

Daily mobility

Pull-ups x11 (PR 13)
KB snatch 32 x78 (PR 84)

Good stuff.
Outstanding, considering you just had strep throat! Wow 11 pullups & nice DL's.

Daily mobility

Pull-ups x11 (PR 13)
KB snatch 32 x78 (PR 84)

Good stuff.
Great work Hulkster!

Didn't increase my numbers, but I think those were the strictest pull-ups I've ever done
I hope they send you your video.
Those pull-ups were textbook strict.
Boom, boom, boom, just hammering them out.

I wish I could have watched your snatches but I’m glad you were next to me.
I could see that big bell out of the corner of my eye, floating in the air.

PS...You were smart to ignore your ego on the DL.
However...
We both know you could have tied that kid.

11/1 18:00

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 205, 225, 205#x3
Push-ups x10,x11,3x10
OP 5x5 95,105,95#x3
Ab wheel x5,x6,3x5

Feeling a little bit of strain in the inner thigh, along with a lot of lat fatigue. Not surprising, the TSC is a definite lat smoker. Opted to take the day off from pull-ups.

11/2 08:00

Daily mobility

11/2 18:00

KB snatch 16x5 32
TGU 10x1 32
Jump rope x50 + hammer turns x20 circuit x10

Eeeaasing back into it.

Volleyball in the evening on Wednesday. Again felt like I'm moving and hitting really well, maybe because I haven't been investing so much energy into training (unfortunately).

11/4 08:00

Daily mobility

11/4 18:15

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 205, 225, 205#2 x2
Push-ups x10, 2x11, 2x10
OP 5x5 95, 105x2, 95#x2
Ab wheel x5, 2x6, 2x5
Assorted grip pull-ups 12x3
Grip work

Forum server has been so wonky the last few days, I haven't bothered checking in. Seems to be running again at last...

11/9 17:30

WGS sequence
KB snatch 16x5 32
TGU 10x1 32
Heavy bag tabata

11/10 17:00

Daily mobility

11/11 17:15

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 205, 225x3, 205#
Push-ups x10, 3x11, x10
OP 5x5 95, 105x3, 95#
Ab wheel x5, 3x6, x5
Assorted-grip pull-ups 12x3
Grip work

Morning motivation remains an issue. But on the plus side, the weights are feeling awesome. Squat depth keeps getting lower, and pull-ups are going great - this week has been my first time getting my chin all the way over the bar on close-grip pull-ups.

11/12 07:30

Daily mobility
Trifecta

11/12 16:30

WGS sequence
KB snatch 18x5 32
TGU 10x1 32,40,32x3
Heavy bag tabata

Had a technique revelation today. When I snatch with my right hand, my hike is turned just slightly to the right. When I snatch with my left hand, my hike is also turned just slightly to the right. I think that's the cause of my recent strain: I've been favoring one side. When I noticed and adjusted to even things out (turning to the opposite side feels most natural), things felt a ton better. Always something new to learn.

11/13 09:00

Turkey trot 10k 66min
- Ave HR 155, max 189

Not bad for a thundering rhinoceros. Definitely dipped a ways into the acid for this one.

In the afternoon did a little strongman training in the form of putting up a basketball hoop. Good day.
That's a very nice run , well done!

Back
Top Bottom