all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Alternating? I like it
Yes. I'm probably violating A+A principles by throwing in something "lower-power", but it's a good way to accumulate volume, and doesn't interfere with the snatches. I've been alternating chin-ups, dips and goblet squats on snatch days. Took the idea from the 10k swing challenge.

Though, I will admit that after snatch/chin-up day, my hands feel a low more "raw" than on dips or GSQT days.

Last edited:
Yes. I'm probably violating A+A principles by throwing in something "lower-power", but it's a good way to accumulate volume, and doesn't interfere with the snatches. I've been alternating chin-ups, dips and goblet squats on snatch days. Took the idea from the 10k swing challenge.

Though, I will admit that after snatch/chin-up day, my hands feel a low more "raw" than on dips or GSQT days.
1 chin rep isn't much TUT, and it's a good way to get some GTG chins completed without blocking out time for them.. win win

Had volleyball on Wednesday. I played well, just not as awesome as last week. But to be fair, we played a much better team - their best hitter was really good at finding a way around the block. They beat us, but it was fun.

Thursday I did nothing... for no reason. Completely a missed opportunity, I should have gotten off my lazy arse in the morning and got my jog in, but I didn't. I at least ran a few suicides with my boys at basketball practice, but that was it.

So, Friday, I was determined to get the jog in.

1/14 08:00

Daily mobility
45min treadmill run/walk 3.3m
- 1W 35E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6

It was actually a really good jog - didn't have to reduce pace until 30+ minutes in.

1/14 16:45

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 245#
Push-ups 5x12
OP 5x5 115#
Ab wheel 5x7
Assorted grip pull-ups 3x(4,3,3,4)
Grip work

That was a really tough session - I had to keep the pace pretty slow, and had a lot of complaints from my knee and inner thigh, as well as some signs of lower back fatigue. I figure that's a result of trying to put the heavy grinds on the same day as the "longer" run. Of course, that run is pathetic in terms of actual long runs, but I'm definitely finding that right now, even at a low HR, I just don't have the tolerance to mix some aerobic base work and strength work on the same day. I suspect this is very much a function of carrying an extra #15 right now, even if a good chunk of that is muscle. As brother @offwidth says, you have to carry your engine. Low HR does not mean zero recovery cost.

I'm debating inserting a deload week next week... we'll see what the Saturday session feels like, and play it from there.

On a largely-unrelated note; I have always wanted to increase my push-up numbers, but had very little luck with it - have always felt like there's a bit of a wall to get over at 20. Part of my current daily mobility sequence is an "easy" max rep set of push-ups; go till I can't do any more without a lot of struggle. Lately I've been hitting 24 or 25 pretty consistently, even after doing a bunch of other shoulder mobility drills, which is encouraging. And I'd say doing ~10 push-ups has never felt as easy as it does right now. Part of that is probably just a result of doing a little more regular push-up volume in my strength work, but I suspect that a larger portion is actually due to the more regular ab wheel work. I think developing the capability to hold core tension longer is doing good things for push-up numbers.

Last edited:
So are those numbers; 1w(1 walk) 35e (35 easy). Is that what they stand for? How about the decimal point at the end?

So are those numbers; 1w(1 walk) 35e (35 easy). Is that what they stand for? How about the decimal point at the end?
You got it. 0.33ST means 20-second "strides" - fast, but not a sprint.

It's loosely the notation from Daniels' Running Formula. A while back I was trying to follow one of his training templates, which would involve some periodic tempo running, but I just don't have the energy for any tempo running alongside the other stuff I'm doing right now.

Feels like your in a good training groove right now.
Funny you should say that, I was just thinking about this.

I have been feeling pretty good lately - feeling like I'm on the "crest" of the wave, so to speak. Steady progress, recovering from the work rather than accumulating fatigue, staying consistent. But at the same time, every so often I feel like I'm getting hints of the edge of the wave being close - some sessions ending feeling wiped out, not "refreshed". Which may be the indicator that it's time to take a rest, step back a little and build up again. I had wanted to try to ride the wave until I hit 5x5 with 265# in the SQT, then was thinking to hit reset and switch to some new movements - probably focus around DL and burpees for a while. But I was playing it by ear.

The decision may have been made for me; this week I picked up my yearly head cold. Doesn't seem to be the big C, at least according to the test, but it's affecting my sleep and making my muscles feel pretty sore over the last day or two.

So, looks like I'll be backing off for a few days. Ce la vie, the weights will be there when I get back.

Funny you should say that, I was just thinking about this.

I have been feeling pretty good lately - feeling like I'm on the "crest" of the wave, so to speak. Steady progress, recovering from the work rather than accumulating fatigue, staying consistent. But at the same time, every so often I feel like I'm getting hints of the edge of the wave being close - some sessions ending feeling wiped out, not "refreshed". Which may be the indicator that it's time to take a rest, step back a little and build up again. I had wanted to try to ride the wave until I hit 5x5 with 265# in the SQT, then was thinking to hit reset and switch to some new movements - probably focus around DL and burpees for a while. But I was playing it by ear.

The decision may have been made for me; this week I picked up my yearly head cold. Doesn't seem to be the big C, at least according to the test, but it's affecting my sleep and making my muscles feel pretty sore over the last day or two.

So, looks like I'll be backing off for a few days. Ce la vie, the weights will be there when I get back.
It's tougher to get your groove on in winter, I never get full on sick anymore, just enough to feel it a little bit is the norm. High dose C makes things go smoother, having said that, less is more may apply to training at times.
I fast ~16 hrs daily, thinking maybe plugging in a ~24-36 hr fast now and then could be beneficial for some extra metabolic cleanup and overall better health.

So, this weekend I officially joined the COVID club. I'm fine/lucky, was pretty mild stuff for me. Wednesday night I didn't sleep well, and when I woke up on Thursday I had Darth Vader voice. Nothing else, so I didn't think much of it. On Friday, Darth Vader voice was gone, but my hips got sore. Could have been from sitting too long, but I started to wonder. Saturday morning, hip soreness was gone, but I woke up with a mild headache. Hmm. Then I got a text from one of my assistant coaches, says he tested positive, and based on timing he thinks he must have picked it up at our last practice. So, figured I'd better go get tested... and sure enough, got me the COVID. Felt a little tired on Sunday, but nothing really to complain about.

Monday rolled around, feeling just fine. I'm isolating for a little while longer, but fortunately I only have to go downstairs to visit the iron. Good time to kick off a new cycle.

1/24 18:45

WGS sequence
DL 5x5 265#
Push-ups 5x12
KB C&P L3x4 28
Pull-ups L3x4
TRX-assisted pistols 5x5
Ab wheel 5x7

Wow, the pistols whupped my arse - quads were barking! Maybe it was the COVID talking, but definitely found a weak point.

1/25 18:00

WGS sequence
Burpees 30x2
Chin-ups 30x1
TGU 10x1 40

I was kind of determined to get to 30 sets of burpees today, just to see where I'm at... but I should definitely step back to ramp up. In the last 6-7 sets the push-ups were getting too loose. Going forward it might be better to burpee as long as I can, then switch over to a squat jump or the like to fill in the gap.

Last edited:
Took a night off from volleyball due to my wife feeling COVIDish (she tested negative). Then missed out on Thursday training due to a case of sniffles. Winter kinda sucks.

1/28 08:00

Daily mobility
30min treadmill run/walk 1.9m
- 10W 5E 15W

1/28 17:00

WGS sequence
DL 5x5 265#
Push-ups 5x12
KB C&P L3x4 28
Pull-ups L3x4
TRX-assisted pistols 5x5
Ab wheel 5x7

Weird day. About 20 seconds in to my warmup I got an abdominal cramp that stopped me cold. And I was left with a mild hamstring knot afterwards that stuck with me for the whole session. DOMS from burpees, I figure. On the plus side, presses and pull-ups felt awesome.

Back
Top Bottom