all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Having trouble getting the engine going again. In the last week the kids started up school, and we started fall baseball practices - a bunch of free time suddenly disappeared. Have to adjust my training plan accordingly. Maybe a good time to work on some snatch/swing endurance.

8/23 21:30

Random squat/press warmup
KB snatch 14x1 32
Chin-ups 14x1

8/27 07:30

32min treadmill run/walk 2.4m
FSPM + front splits

Proud dad moment; this weekend my daughter's high school softball team was playing in a small tournament. In the game she pitched there was a girl on the other team who was a beast; played shortstop, looked like a MLB'er scooping up ground balls on the run and zinging them to first without stopping. We heard she's already committed to a D1 college. First at bat, my daughter threw a curve ball that didn't curve enough, and this other girl knocked it waaaay over the fence. But the next two times that girl was up, my daughter got her chasing junk, easy ground outs both time. My daughter was just beaming about getting her after the game. Good stuff.

8/28 06:30

34min treadmill run/walk 2.5m
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

Dr. Banner… how is that Hangboard treating you?

Dave has a bunch of Hangboard videos. They are all pretty good

It's good, though I'm definitely back at square 1 since I took such a long layoff from it. I decided I needed a break from pull-ups training because it felt like I was just burning out instead of improving, so hangboard seemed a natural replacement for a while. Will check out the video, thanks.

Getting priority on training continues to be problematic - too much other stuff going on. And unfortunately that seems to be reflecting on the scale.

9/10 09:45

WGS sequence
KB snatch 18x5 32
SQT 225#x5,3,2
BP 180#x5,3,1
Hangboard

This weekend we had our first baseball games of the fall season. My poor son, after pitching two great innings, got hit by a pitch and probably broke him thumb. I'm heartbroken for him - this is the third season in a row where he's starting off with an injury.

Haven't been completely slack, just haven't been online much

9/15 06:15

31min treadmill run/walk 2.4m

9/16 08:30

32min treadmill run/walk 2.3m
Trifecta

9/16 14:30

WGS sequence
KB snatch 18x5 32
SQT 235#x5,3,2
BP 185#x5,3,2
Mace turns 12x5
Hangboard

My shoulders were killing me after training on Friday, which got me all freaked out wondering what I had done wrong... then I remembered on Thursday I had gotten a COVID booster in one shoulder, and a flu shot in the other. Dummy.

Sunday for the next couple months is baseball time. My son being injured means we lost our best pitcher, 2nd-best catcher, and a strong batter... we already knew we were going to be a weak team, that definitely doesn't help. 2 games into the season, we're already at 15 team errors, and a -38 point differential. ROFL:oops: Now, in addition to getting them to clean that up, I gotta figure out how to keep the kids from getting depressed/discouraged.

9/18 17:45

WGS sequence
DL 1x5 335#
OP 3x5 120#
SQT 3x5 225#
BP 3x5 185#

9/20 05:45

40min treadmill run/walk 2.5m

9/21 06:00

34min treadmill run/walk 2.1m

Definitely adrift right now - just feeling like I don't have enough time/energy to put together a real program. But, anything is better than nothing.

Found out yesterday that our baseball team probably just lost another pitcher, this time to a broken foot - kid fouled a ball off his foot really hard on Sunday, and apparently on Monday he could barely walk. Off to an auspicious start...

Found out yesterday that our baseball team probably just lost another pitcher, this time to a broken foot - kid fouled a ball off his foot really hard on Sunday, and apparently on Monday he could barely walk. Off to an auspicious start...
I feel for the kids.. think well on how to make lemonade here, it could be an opportunity to teach a bigger lesson.. micro-wins and all that. A stronger defense would be good, though that's a tall order with young kids.

I would make their bats as hot as possible, short swings from close in to the plate. We did that with one team where pitching injuries took a toll. The kids were a scoring machine after drills to strengthen inside pitch batting. The strategy rattles even good teams as they struggle with the ball constantly being put in play.. over and over, the pressure mounts and the kids panic. We won several games by slaughter rule that season. :)

Energy & time continue to be at a high premium - trying to just stick to basics, finding that trying to jam in any barbell sessions just isn't going to happen right now.

9/24 17:00

WGS sequence
KB snatch 20x5 32
TGU 10x1 32

9/26 17:30

WGS sequence
KB snatch 16x5 32
TGU 10x1 32

Definitely feeling some fatigue from the Saturday session, cut the snatch off earlier than I would have liked.

Aside from that, gotten in a few morning walks, but just haven't felt the energy for a run. Figure things are probably going to continue at this pace until November.

Training is still having to take a back seat to real life, but I've been keeping busy. Aside from baseball practice and volleyball, here's the highlights:

Over the prior weekend, my wife and I took a mini vacation to New Orleans. Walked about 5 miles every day. But, also consumed about 6 miles worth of gumbo and rum every day.

On Friday, spent 3 hours helping move my wife's physical therapy clinic- in particular a big desk, and treadmill and a refrigerator. I definitely demonstrated what strong is to the couple of younger guys who were there to help... but, the pec spasm I had afterwards told me I had used up all my juice for the day.

On Saturday, I spent 4 hours assembling furniture, which is like doing continuous unloaded getups.

I'll get back to the weights someday, I promise...

Back
Top Bottom