all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Kids sports are nearing their ends... I can see the horse out in the distance, but it's not quite close enough to hop back on yet. Had a light day at work, so that offered me a little extra time.

10/17 07:00

Mobility work
30min treadmill run/walk 2.2m

10/17 16:45

WGS sequence
SQT 3x5 225#
OP 3x5 100#

GTG x3
- HRP x15
- Pull-ups x3

I did my mobility sequence Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, along with sone very light GTG. I'm really surprised how much residual fatigue I'm feeling just from the mobility work. Just shows that there is no free lunch- anything that challenges you costs recovery time.

10/18 17:15

WGS sequence
SQT 4x5 225#
OP 4x5 100#
TGU 6x1 32

Felt really good. I'm definitely detrained , but getting a little of it back.

10/31 12:30

Mobility sequence

10/31 15:45

WGS sequence
SQT 4x5 225#
OP 4x5 100#
TGU 8x1 32

Fall baseball season is over - we lost a heartbreaker on Saturday, had a very strong start but just couldn't maintain it. So, a bunch of my schedule has reopened for training, at least for the time being. Now the trick will be keep rebuilding slowly and staying healthy. Of course, somehow or other I tweaked my wrist on Sunday, no idea how/when it happened. Sometimes it seems like nothing can ever be easy. ROFL

Volleyball on Wednesday. I think the league we're in is getting younger/better... every team we've played this session has out-defensed us by quite a bit. And, of course, we just seem to keep getting older. ROFL

11/3 17:30

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 225#
HRP 5x8
OP 5x5 100#
Pull-ups 5x2
Chop wood carry water x5

Knees were pretty creaky today - I suspect some residual fatigue from the first return to ballistics on Tuesday.

11/8 14:45

WGS sequence
KB snatch 2/4/14 x 5 28/32/28

Had to keep it short, bunch of family stuff in the evening.

I noticed in the first couple of snatch sessions as I'm getting back into it that I really had to focus on keeping my core tight. Today it felt like it was happening more naturally/reflexively.

11/11 17:00

WGS sequence
KB snatch 2/6/12 x5 28/32/28
Samurai getups x10

Since I've been trying to get back into squatting (over the last couple years, not just this last couple weeks), I notice that when I get sore, it's always in the inner thigh, rather than the glues or quads - I was really feeling that during this session. That certainly wasn't true back in college... I guess that's where the limiting factor is for this older version of the body. Kept the getups unloaded to avoid aggravating it.

11/12 09:00

Turkey trot 2m run ~25min

Normally I would do the 10k... but I'm in no shape for running right now. Heck, a year ago that would have been a 10k pace for me, but 2 miles was plenty for today. ROFL

Volleyball on Wednesday. I am struggling a little, because I'm getting tired of how lousy some of my teammates are... but, this is supposed to be fun, it shouldn't matter that we suck. But that's not how the energy of the team is going.

11/17 17:00

WGS sequence
SQT 4x5 270#
HRP x12,13,13,12
OP 4x5 120#
Pull-ups x3,4,3,3
HLR 3x5
Chop wood carry water x5

My little finisher isn't spiking my HR as I'd like... time to change that up.

11/18 08:00

22min treadmill run/walk 1.5m

11/18 16:45

WGS sequence
KB snatch 2/10/8 x5 28/32/28
TGU 10x1 32

It’s a tough call Dr. Banner…
Some people might tell you that you can get great satisfaction from working with, and helping to bring up your teammates up to a higher level of play. Both you and the team will experience growth and reward.
Others would tell you to switch teams, and play (and train) with people that are as motivated and as good as (or even better than) you are.

I have been in similar situations over the years, and used both approaches.

It’s a tough call Dr. Banner…
Some people might tell you that you can get great satisfaction from working with, and helping to bring up your teammates up to a higher level of play. Both you and the team will experience growth and reward.
Others would tell you to switch teams, and play (and train) with people that are as motivated and as good as (or even better than) you are.

I have been in similar situations over the years, and used both approaches.

Quite true, quite true... my problem right now is the attitude. It's one thing to be lousy, and kind of laugh it off: "ha ha, they're picking on me." It's another thing entirely to be lousy, and then spread the blame to your teammates: "well, maybe if somebody could pass to me..."

One of my teammates is my wife, I still like playing with her, fortunately... but the other two are really starting to get on both of our nerves. We want to keep playing, it's something we really enjoy doing together... but we'd be a lot happier with 2 new partners. And that gets complicated because we've been playing with one of these ladies for 15 years... she's fun some years. Some years, not so much.

In the end, I probably need to just work harder at not giving a #%$!. First world problems.

11/21 08:30

22min treadmill run/walk 1.6m
Trifecta

11/21 16:00

WGS sequence
SQT 4x5 270#
HRP x12,13,13,12
OP 4x5 120#
Pull-ups x3,4,3,3
Ab wheel 3x5
Mace turns 6x5

Even that pathetically short run in the morning made squatting a lot tougher- knees were really groaning
Is HRP some kind of pushup?

Back
Top Bottom