all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Got in some skiing with the family over Thanksgiving break. Pretty nice conditions - good snow, reasonably warm - but none of us had skiied for 2 years, so we were all rusty. Good stuff.

11/27 09:00

30min treadmill run/walk 2.0m
Trifecta

11/28 15:30

WGS sequence
SQT 3x3 300#
HRP 3x15
OP 3x3 135#
Pull-ups 3x3

I am trying to go back on some calorie restrictions, since I've packed on a bunch of weight over the last 6 months. Really felt it during this session - got a little "fuzzy" in the head, despite pretty low volume. Sucks. Cut it short to go do family stuff.

12/1 17:30

WGS sequence
SQT 3x3 300#
HRP 3x15
OP 3x3 135#
Pull-ups 3x3
HLR 3x5
1min treadmill run x4
KB snatch 6x10 24

Snatches as a finisher = not a good idea, things just get too sloppy.

12/2 16:00

WGS sequence
KB snatch 2/16/2 x5 28/32/28
TGU 6x1 32,40,32

Had to cut this one short to get to our first indoor baseball practice of the winter.

12/3 11:00

32min treadmill run/walk 2.2m
Trifecta

12/4 11:00

32min treadmill run/walk 2.1m
Trifecta

Hectic week, complete with a family emergency... but I'm still at it.

12/6 17:30

WGS sequence
KB snatch 2/18 x5 28/32
TGU 5x1 32,40,32x3
Heavy bag tabata

12/9 16:30

WGS sequence
SQT 5x5 250#
HRP 5x10
OP 5x5 115#
Pull-ups 5x2
Ab wheel 3x5

12/10 10:00

3m walk with family

12/12 18:30

WGS sequence
SQT 4x5 270#
HRP x12,13,13,12
OP 4x5 120#
Pull-ups x2,3,3,2
HLR 2x5

12/13 18:30

WGS sequence
2x KB snatch 16x5 45#
25min treadmill run/walk 2.2m

That last season was in a rec center gym. 45# was the heaviest KB they had... but there were 2 off them, so I figured, what the heck. First time I've ever done a double snatch... about as awkward as I thought it would be, but it got the job done.

Last Wednesday we played in a volleyball tournament, with a sub replacing our weakest player. It was the best we've played in a long time - we ended up taking 3rd. It was awesome - but it was a long night, double the number of games we normally play. Afterwards, my wife and I were both just wrecked - achy hips, creaky knees, sore shoulders, the whole 9 yards. Ended up taking the next two days off to recover.

12/17 12:30

WGS sequence
SQT 4x5 270#
HRP x12,13,13,12
OP 4x5 120#
Pull-ups x2,3,3,2
Ab wheel 3x5
Run, carry, swing x4
- hard treadmill run until HR in Z4, KB suitcase carry 48, mace turns

Hey StrongFirst. We gotta talk.

I'm not going to be on here for the foreseeable future. It's not you, it's me - for real. I'm just posting my training, but I'm not contributing. I'm not adding to the discussion, I'm not reading other peoples logs the way I used to. I've just got too much else going on right now... and it's only going to get worse as we get into basketball and baseball seasons for my boy. Anybody who knows me knows, that's always priority #1... and as he's gotten older, supporting what he's doing takes more and more of my time.

Y'all are great - this is far and away the best corner of the internet, and I've always taken more from this place than I've put in.

Stay strong. Maybe see some of you at a TSC someday - I'm still gonna be out there lifting heavy s#@^, even if I'm not posting about it.

Hey StrongFirst. We gotta talk.

I'm not going to be on here for the foreseeable future. It's not you, it's me - for real. I'm just posting my training, but I'm not contributing. I'm not adding to the discussion, I'm not reading other peoples logs the way I used to. I've just got too much else going on right now... and it's only going to get worse as we get into basketball and baseball seasons for my boy. Anybody who knows me knows, that's always priority #1... and as he's gotten older, supporting what he's doing takes more and more of my time.

Y'all are great - this is far and away the best corner of the internet, and I've always taken more from this place than I've put in.

Stay strong. Maybe see some of you at a TSC someday - I'm still gonna be out there lifting heavy s#@^, even if I'm not posting about it.
Completely understood my man. I thought those commitments would die off when my kids were out of school. Now it's my grandson's flag football, soccer, and planning next trip to other grandson's h.s. graduation. Plus there's a new g.s. that is already playing baseball. Our suv usually has fold-up chairs in it all the time. Enjoy your time away. We'll still be makin up $_it when you get back.

Hips/groin were definitely a bit creaky from yesterday's squats.
Hope you are still well and strong, Hulk.

Question on squats for you sir.. do you feel like they give more than they take from you? Seems as trainers age we gravitate away from them, I know many of my aging iron friends have ditched them for more body friendly movements..?..

Hope you are still well and strong, Hulk.
Back at you, sir - glad to see you are back to operational levels

Question on squats for you sir.. do you feel like they give more than they take from you? Seems as trainers age we gravitate away from them, I know many of my aging iron friends have ditched them for more body friendly movements..?..
There's is a delicate balancing act there. I definitely feel more powerful when I'm incorporating a heavier squat pattern - I find the leg drive translates well into jumping and even snatching. But, re-introducing the loaded squat a year or two ago is also what made me fall off the wagon in terms of running - it was just too much to ask from my legs.

So, when I started to re-introduce running, I dropped loaded squats - and I think that was definitely the right choice to start off. Now I've re-re-introduced the squat lately on the advice of my PT - she says that loading the patellar tendon can help runners avoid long-term knee pain. So I think it's definitely a "poison is in the dose" kind of scenario. I'm trying to set things up so that locomotion gets priority now, and squats get whatever is left (e.g. rest day comes before long run day, not before squat day).

I have had a few conversations with my ego recently that I need to accept that I will probably never put up anything close to the kind of weight I used to squat when I was young. But honestly, my ego still isn't 100% convinced. ROFL

glad to see you are back to operational levels
Thank you, can't complain about recovery pace. It's going better than I thought it would, aside from some TBI effects.
I have had a few conversations with my ego recently that I need to accept that I will probably never put up anything close to the kind of weight I used to squat when I was young. But honestly, my ego still isn't 100% convinced. ROFL
Lol, that train pulled out of the station a long time ago for me. I peaked in my 20's going for limit strength, after that it wasn't a good mix with karate training.

I find that running, snatching, high pull, swings, jumps etc are all the leg work I need. Have you tried sprint intervals, A+A style? Al Ciampa has said that's the best use of A+A if I remember correctly.

I'm currently reading the "Easy Interval Method" book, it's an older book yet beneficial for older runners when it comes to strengthening legs. Aerobically, I can run much longer than legs will allow, I aim to get legs strengthened. Guess you can say it's a beacon to make progress on this year.

Heavy 2 hand swings seem to load the patellar tendon pretty well for me, in fact, I have to be careful with them due to an old injury sustained as a 20 yo.

Back
Top Bottom