all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Am I helping or hurting?!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoelH

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

Long story short- if you are overweight, out of shape and weak are you better off using S&S to get in shape and gain strength or should you get in moderate shape first? (That was not an easy sentence to write)

Long story long- Im 35, 5'10', 220lbs (was 260). Im in contruction and play on rec team sports. Im focused on three things:

1) losing weight with a goal of 199
2) getting healthier (no current illness but very susceptible to diabetes)
3) get strong

My dilemma- I know my form isnt perfect but its improving. My strength is weak but im getting stronger. The problem is I know that my hinge is not proper and i often to swings wrong (some really good ones but some wont pop or ill bend my knees, etc)

Currently I work out 5x a week doing the proper warm up, 50 swings, TGUs with a shoe and I added rows, cleans and curls since an unloaded TGU doesn't work my arms/shoulders.

Lastly, I've talked to my local instructor who I found on this site I just havent met him yet- spending money for him to say Im too fat and stiff to do it seems like a waste...

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate the help. Im addicted to kettlebells/S&S and I will get there one way or another!

Welcome to the forum @JoelH

Congratulations on making the choice to take control of your health.

Maybe start a training log and post a vid of anything you need help with. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that won't judge you on your size and give you constructive criticism to get your form corrected. Personally I think anyone that judges someone they've never met on their size has a serious character flaw but hey, that's just me.

Take the plunge and go & visit the instructor you've found. I can only assume he/she is Strongfirst certified seeing you found them here. You'll learn more in 20minutes face to face with a good coach than you will in a month on the Internet.

Keep up the hard work and watch your eating habits and I'm sure you'll do well.

Long story short- if you are overweight, out of shape and weak are you better off using S&S to get in shape and gain strength or should you get in moderate shape first?

S&S is for everyone. Let us know how it goes with the instructor! That's a good step to take. Not only can they instruct and correct your form, they can recommend modifications if you need them. Modifications are included in every instructor certification and are a much overlooked but crucial part of why StrongFirst systems work for all types of people. An instructor can also guide your progression, helping you know when to challenge yourself with more sets, weight, etc., and when to back off on making things harder and just and practice.

Welcome aboard, and keep us posted!

spending money for him to say Im too fat and stiff to do it seems like a waste...
I'm pretty certain they won't if they are an SFG. I went on the KB user course earlier this year and there were people of all levels and body shape on it. Everyone came away with a lot to work on.
With regards to your mobility a well done goblet squat, swing and TGU (even unweighted) can do a vast amount for your mobility. I had pretty tight hips before the course, and my swings weren't helping. With a couple of corrections I was training pain free.
Even if you don't see a trainer regularly having someone being able to check and prompt your form make all the difference.

rows, cleans and curls since an unloaded TGU doesn't work my arms/shoulders
With proper instruction the arm that is on the ground gets a good amount of work.

Good luck on your journey. Keep us updated.

@JoelH

1. Have a thorough physical examination if you haven't had one recently. During the exam, ask the doctor if you are cleared to exercise without restrictions or if there are things you shouldn't be doing yet (or ever).

2. Have a movement screen and ask the same questions.

3. See that instructor - he/she may be able to help with #2 above but likely not with #1.

In the meantime, do what you feel is safe and effective for you. Walking is wonderful exercise with few requirements. I recommend walking for maximum ease and relaxation while maintaining basic good posture. Breath only through your nose - this will help keep you from pushing yourself too hard. Enjoy the scenery. Start moderately, perhaps a few minutes every other day, and build up gradually from there. If you have the opportunity to do things like walk a mile to a coffee shop with a spouse, or to meet a friend, take it whenever possible.

4. Eat well and simply. Unfortunately, good food costs more than processed crap - do whatever you can in this regard. As but one very simple example, the chips in our house aren't big brand potato chips, they're from Whole Foods, and they're organic, blue corn, stone ground. They manage to taste salty while having very little salt in them. I believe strongly that the quality of one's food makes a huge difference in the quality of one's life, and healthy eating certainly doesn't hurt one's efforts at strength training and improving body composition.

-S-

you've taken some strong steps so far- focus on your successes, start thinking strong and visualize a good, productive, session with your local SFG- get the forms down perfectly, and ditch the supplemental exercises you've added. S&S by the book, together with your sports is plenty for a long time. Add in the walking as Steve suggested, and you're well on the way- then just stay the course and enjoy it!

Thanks for all the input. I just emailed my local instructor and will see him this week & I will book a physical with my family doctor.

I have lost 45lbs so far strictly with diet. Im very comfortable and confident in the nutrition aspect of weight loss.

I will re read S&S and continue with my routine until I see the instructor.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Joel

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom