all posts post new thread

Bodyweight An Amosov inspired routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cwheeler33

Level 6 Valued Member
The base Amosov routine covers a lot of ground, but I feel like some stuff is missing. What do you think of the following? Have your own ideas, share them.

The following is for a martial artist that incorporates other RKC/StrongFirst routines and principles. Small joints such as hands, feet, and neck would normally be covered in a martial arts class warm up so do not need to be here. For similar reasons I don't need to push very high numbers for any one exercise here, invariably instructors love squats, crunches, and push-ups....

I had a previous routine very similar to this one that worked well for me. In that one I used Warrior3 for reps instead of time and the other in that small sequence didn't exist. In the beginning it helped my balance and throws, but eventually become a problem because I didn't open the hips enough for my throws... So standing half moon and the others needed to be included.

Rep or TimeExerciseNotes
25Hindu Squat
25 / 25Five Point Lunge
50sec L / 50sec RStanding Side Bend Pose
25Straight Arm Circles
25Deep Squat
25 / 25Cossack Squat
25 secForward Bend Stretch*don't stand back up, start walking your hands out to the push-up
25Push-ups
25Cat / Camel
25Hindu Push-up
50sec L / 50sec RWarrior 3*or do Warrior 3 to Half Moon as a sequence, 10 sec each position and repeat 5 times
50sec L / 50sec RWarrior 1*or do Warrior 3 to Half Moon as a sequence, 10 sec each position and repeat 5 times
50sec L / 50sec RLord of the Dance*or do Warrior 3 to Half Moon as a sequence, 10 sec each position and repeat 5 times
50sec L / 50sec RExtended Side Angle Pose*or do Warrior 3 to Half Moon as a sequence, 10 sec each position and repeat 5 times
50sec L / 50sec RHalf Moon*or do Warrior 3 to Half Moon as a sequence, 10 sec each position and repeat 5 times
25Reverse Table
25 / 25Shin Box
25Superman
25 / 25Egyptian Shoulder Roll
25 / 25Torso Twist
50sec L / 50sec RWild Thing
25 / 25Dead Bug
25Lying Leg/Hip Raises
50sec L / 50sec RHalf Lord of Fish stretch
25Stomach Vacuum

besides this, at the moment I am also doing the following to recover from Covid19:
Lunch I have my 30min walks
Evenings I have my solo martial art technique work (think mixing kosen Judo, Karate, Aikido )
throughout the day GtG (6 sets of OAP, Pistols, Pullups for very low reps)

Once my base health (breath) is back up to "normal" then I can get back to S&S and other heavier goals...

Again, if other people worked on their own routines, I'd love to see them and hear why they chose what they chose including their numbers...

@cwheeler33, for me, the operating principle is to do the mobility and flexibility work I need. I have a limited amount of time in which to train, and I prefer that my focus be on getting my strength training accomplished - the rest is on an "as-needed" basis.

-S-

@cwheeler33, for me, the operating principle is to do the mobility and flexibility work I need. I have a limited amount of time in which to train, and I prefer that my focus be on getting my strength training accomplished - the rest is on an "as-needed" basis.

-S-

I'm curious about a brief example about both your mobility work and "as needed basis". In your case what would your abbreviated version look like?

Egyptian for my shoulders every day. My shoulders have issues so they get lots of attention, and lots of strength training as well. I usually also hang from my rings before I do my presses and I try to always have a pressing program going. Some days, instead of a hang, I'll go in and out of hollow position in my hang, and some days I'll go all the way up to a pullup/chinup. For me, if things are lined up correctly, I can move from a dead hang to hollow, packed shoulders slowly and carefully and without pain. If things are lined up wrong, it hurts. So doing this is good prep for pressing for me.

Cossack sequence once every few days. Hamstring stretch by putting my leg up on the porch railing (roughly counter height) every time I get up from my chair. I can put my straight leg on the ground or almost with an occasional Cossack so that's what I do - more isn't necessary for me. For the hamstring stretch, I try to touch both hands to the outstretched foot with minimal spine flexion.

-S-

Last edited:
I did the "escape your fighting stance" sequence from Flexible Steel for a long time, it's pretty good. But it's hard for me to think of that as a morning "recharge" per se, because for me it takes 1 hour + to get through it. I've been recently trying to shift mobility focus to trying to work specifically on things I know I'm bad at, as opposed to trying to bulletproof everything head-to-toe. I have pretty poor rotational mobility, so I still work on the bretzel.

I like the Trifecta from Convict Conditioning; bridge, L sit, seated twist. I like this as a means of strengthening the core from all angles, with minimal movements.

50sec L / 50sec RHalf Lord of Fish stretch

I had to Google that one - turns out that's what I've been calling the seated twist. I suppose a book selling it self as "tough guy calisthenics" can't go advertising the "lord of fish" ?. But I love that one, really attacks my poor hip flexor mobility. I'm definitely am trying to be a fish lord.

Past that, I have pretty poor shoulder mobility, so at the moment I work on T-spine extension, shoulder dislocates, and behind-the-back reaches. And then dips and rows to fill some shoulder strength gaps.

It would seem that my long time use of Scott Sonnon's Warrior Wellness is well suited. Just maybe add a couple of exercises at the end...

@Adam R Mundorf
Nice list, covers a lot of ground without looking complex. Curious, what the difference between "Qi Gong Hip Circles" and "Hip Circles"? Do you have a video link for either?
Also, roughly how much do you do? Timed, reps, or feeling?

@WhatWouldHulkDo
I never looked at CC's Trifecta in that light, I tied it too much to the rest of the program. My Wild Thing is a type of bridge, and yup a seated twist. The Reverse Table is done in the same manner as the 5 Tibetan Rites, nice and dynamic. It has that L-Sit at the bottom... So very similar work to you. I agree about the time sync being heavy on the "escape your fighter stance", especially if you include the joint warm up before hand. But for now I'll be content to work on only the splits at night...

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I'll keep doing what I'm doing while I think about the feedback.

Nice list, covers a lot of ground without looking complex. Curious, what the difference between "Qi Gong Hip Circles" and "Hip Circles"? Do you have a video link for either?
Also, roughly how much do you do? Timed, reps, or feeling?
These are the Qi Gong Hip Circles :

Normal hip Circles are like hula hoops.

I just go by feeling in a flow of sorts.

These are the Qi Gong Hip Circles :
Cool - these are very similar to what is done in Scott Sonon's Warrior Wellness advanced routine. The difference is that with WW you will do 3 different figure eights where this Qi Gong is the third exercise of the set. Sonon does it a little quicker and his legs are slightly wider apart.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom