all posts post new thread

An often cited claim about kettlebells...True or False?

Although for further context, heavy is always relative and while a 2 plate squat may not seem like much, I have a friend who was on his deathbed and later on wheelchair bound and is now back to squatting 2 plates.. the fact he told the reaper "not yet" is a huge PR win in my eyes

Completely agree. Achieving anything after a deathbed experience is a win.

For me the best overall dosage has been high intensity LOW volume BB work mixed with moderate intensity HIGH volume KB work. Though my question was about KB strength enhancing BB strength; I noticed that when I do just BB work I may be strong but I move worse and don't feel as good. KB's just make me move well and make me feel like an athlete.

High dose KB + Low dose BB makes me feel unstoppable. Pure synergism.

High dose KB + Low dose BB makes me feel unstoppable. Pure synergism.
It's funny I was just pondering this 'synergism' aspect today.
The A+A crowd (I am one of them) speaks highly of A+A along with LED endurance... the heavy swing/snatch goes right into this
In another thread I noted my current routine (~2 days of A+A of varying exercises, ~2 endurance, 1 day Oly lifts with some backoff strength work OR the power/strength day broken up over 2 days) and I am hitting numbers - in all qualities - I have never done before.
In the last month or so, at ~68 KG
6:17 mile / 9:28 1.5 mile ..... 7:30 min/miles at 80% HR, easy breathing ...... 2.8 watts/kilo on the bike at 80% HR

60 kilo 3x3 power cleans (plus hitting 70 kilo 1RM power clean on a day I felt particularly strong) .... 45 kilo 3x3 power snatch

I only wish I had ability to measure velocity, but I've been jumping through the ROOF lately in my A+A vertical jumps, and my med ball slams seem the most powerful they've ever been. Cannot wait to get on the tennis court to see the transfer. Golf clubhead speed average 112, ball speed 150 for ~260 average carry

Based off my historical training strategy... adding the LED days has been magic.

but I've been jumping through the ROOF lately in my A+A vertical jumps, and my med ball slams seem the most powerful they've ever been.
Interested in your jumps, how do you do them, from quarter or full squat? How do you land? Rep/rest scheme?

I am an avid jumper since my SE event 2018. I feel there is something pretty special about them. WTH...I just feel friggin' froggy haha...

I did a local meet in 2019, squated 150, benched 100 and deadlifted 180 on mostly swings and get up's. Did some barbells in the 4 weeks prior to get a little feeling back. 80 kg boydweight at the time. Two weeks ago, benched 100 again, for the first time since the meet, still mostly kettlebells with some bodyweight exercises (heavy dips).

Interested in your jumps, how do you do them, from quarter or full squat? How do you land? Rep/rest scheme?

I am an avid jumper since my SE event 2018. I feel there is something pretty special about them. WTH...I just feel friggin' froggy haha...
In general I do 5-6 jumps, as if I am going over a high hurdle. I don't measure but I go linearly, maybe 2-3 feet per jump (focus on height, not distance so only 5-6m). Focus on minimal time on the ground, like a true plyometric so I probably am closest to quarter squat

It didn’t work for me a few years ago; I haven’t seen good transfer between single kb <-> double kb <->barbell. I was super bummed out the times I tested because I expected it to be phenomenal but, alas, for me it was not.
I get more carryover to kettlebell pressing when my barbell pressing goes up

I get more carryover to barbell pressing when I get stronger in my pike and handstand push-ups

However, my kettlebell pressing doesn't increase my handstand push-ups

However, my kettlebell pressing doesn't increase my handstand push-ups
Slight tangent, I was never able to do handstand push-ups, and after doing lots of snatches and some (not many at all) presses y surprised myself hitting a couple “easy” reps.
So maybe it does not help increase HSPU but it does help develop it originally, due to kettlebells geometry and extended press ROM?

Back
Top Bottom