all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anaerobic capacity test

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shawnjm23

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm looking to log some bench marks to keep track of my fitness levels throughout the year. Are there any reliable alternatives to the Wingate test to calculate anaerobic capacity/30 secs? I have a access to a Concept 2 rower and some basic gym equipment.

Thanks

You could set-up on the rower, pick a moderate resistance level and after a standard warmup go for 30 seconds all out. Track number of reps, HR start and stop rate and how long it takes HR to return to baseline. You need to be thoroughly familiar with the rower so skill factor is minimized.

There are a lot of ways to informally test this, but basically amount of work done for a given unit of time and HR. Wingate is a more accurate test, but for most applications work and HR are going to tell you a lot. You can monkey with the test duration as well.

I would, as an amateur with zero science to back me up here, suggest the tests done in Q&D as valuable metrics. While they wouldn't give you absolute values, they would enable measure progress.

-S-

It's been a long time since I used a rowing machine but the Concept 2 website used to have a couple of tests that you could do - don't know if they are still available.

I used the C2 rower a lot in a past life, at that time we regarded a PB 5k piece at a constant pace as being indicative of anaerobic threshold that would usually be between 16' and 20ish' depending upon age, mass and ability. That was along time ago and ideas may have changed today.
The old C2 forums were great with lots and lots of technical information and knowledgeable people, it would be well worth doing some searches on the forums to see what useful information you could dig up from the current forums.
The old C2 training manual was fabulous and is still available on the wayback machine - google it. I might have a copy - will have a look.

This is their current advice about anaerobic work The Anaerobic Threshold. There may be other useful information if you have a look around that site.

Be careful with high damper settings. This will be very well discussed/explained on the C2 forums and website.
Worth understanding damper setting and drag factor and effect of accumulated dust in a neglected machine before doing any serious testing.
For example I was a heavyweight and would have a drag factor of 100 to 130 ie less than setting 3 on a clean well maintained machine. It is all about how quickly and efficiently you can apply power to the spinning flywheel without hurting yourself.

Am curious, if kettlebells are going to be your training method could you do some sort of step test with swings or snatches rather than do tests on a piece of equipment you may not use very often or have access to like the Wingate Test Bike ie Warmup then swing or snatch for 30 seconds change to a 4kg heavier bell do another 30 seconds change to a 4kg heavier bell do another 30 seconds. Compare HR and number of swings at 3month intervals maybe add a diy video to check/compare overall vigour and technique ?

Are you asking a method to differentiate aerobic capacity from anaerobic capacity?
That is, rule out any aerobic input.....

Or anaerobic threshold, as has been discussed?

Your anaerobic capacity will improve due to an enhanced aerobic system, as discussed...so are you seeking to improve anaerobic function separate from aerobic? And if by measuring 'something' how will you know those markers are only anaerobic? Because by working the anaerobic system, you improve the aerobic system.....

Chicken and egg, really isn't it?

Thing is to get better and more efficient and skilled in your pursuit....making you better at the thing.

Faster. Faster for longer. More work, less effort. More power for less energy. More reps in less time. Less fatigue. What was once hard now isn't as hard, or even easy.
All those things are trackable, measurable however you choose to do it.

And then there's specificity....and efficient biomechanics....
Better snatch technique improves anaerobic capacity as you require less energy to do the thing than you did with crappy technique....so you can do more ie improve capacity.
Or slog it out huffing and a puffing...if you see what I mean. Likewise, being stronger makes stuff easier....improving capacity.

It's difficult to parse out as everything is connected, one way or another.

Competition. Testing sporadically using hr/reps/set/time....strength to weight ratio if bodyweight is a thing....in turn, fat loss as that too will improve capacity.

It all bounces off each other....

Or go to a lab. Have bloods, muscle biopsies and breath analysed.

For anaerobic capacity. Run a 400 all out. Clock time. Train for a bit...do it again to beat your time.

Or a 200. At max. Must be all out

A 400 will involve some aerobic input, a 200 less so. You may or may not use full anaerobic capacity in the 100, depending on condition/age/training history.

Sprinting and into mid distances are pretty good markers for where anaerobic capacity is the limiting factor for the event. So how deep is your pain cave?

A thought experiment that could have been a real time study in physiology.....a 400m race between sprinter Bolt and 800m champ Rushida.
One anaerobic power and capacity v aerobic power. The world's best clashing and testing at the threshold of cellular function, in a sense.

So that's why a 400 is a good measure of anaerobic function.

Some would argue anyway....

1) Push your car. Max meters in 30s. I recommend having a driver and an empty, closed road for safety reasons.

2) C2 rower, max meters in 30's.

3) Find a hill 100-200m length. Max distance run uphill in 30s. Drop a marker when the timer beeps.

(another option, a piggy back a friend , run up the hill, see how far you get)

4) If you manage to find an air bike - same test.

They are all disgusting and horrible, I guess you have to pick your poison :)

30 seconds on the C2 rower isn't bad to compare against yourself, however you might find the 1 minute test being better for benchmarking since the C2 site has that as a "ranked" piece so you can see your percentile results in comparison to your age/weight class, etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom