all posts post new thread

Anatoly Pisarenko, 1980's Weightlifter

Pisarenko is my favorite lifter of all time.

In 1995, Mark Cohen, my first coach, gave me a VHS tape of two championships, one in 1982 and one 1983, both in which Pisarenko lifted. I watched Pisarenko in slo-mo so many times to model my technique after, I lost count.

In my mind, he truly is the greatest super of all time due to his bodyweight to strength ratio and the 37 years it took to beat his C+J.

Thanks for posting this, @Steve Freides .

In my opinion, one of the all-time iconic iron game photos. Two guys casually conversing as Pisarenko squats a ton. They’re obviously used to seeing him under a bent barbell….

View attachment 20837

He always looked much older to me than he was, too.

I don't know if it's the mustache, or some other je ne se quois of hard living that makes him look older than the 20-something he is in most photos.

Of course, it might also have been the cigarettes between sets.

Last edited:
A bit frightening, isn't it, that it would simply state false information as fact?

-S-
Seems to be the challenge of our time -- say whatever you want, believe whatever you want. I can only hope that the skill of discerning the credibility of "facts" is something that both people and AI will seek to get better at as we go forward.

Back
Top Bottom