all posts post new thread

And We Were Swingin'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi Brett, Ive read you are struggling with the roll to elbow, have you seen this video by Zar Horton? It really helped me, the imaginary handle trick.

Hi Brett, Ive read you are struggling with the roll to elbow
My difficulty with the roll to elbow is because I sometimes get a really sharp pain near my left shoulder blade, like a needle or icepick being stuck into the muscle. I can do the movement, but I'm sore afterwards. I'll try some of the suggestions in the video. Thanks.

Last edited:
Swings, 16 kg, 10x10.
Cook Carry Drill, 16 kg, 8 minutes. I used a heavier bell this time, but i had to quit the right-arm suitcase carry early because my arm fell asleep--go figure.

Last edited:
Swimming. Just messing around with short bursts of freestyle swimming at the neighborhood pool. Fun, but more tiring than it was ten years ago.

Running, 1 mile. Running in the morning is a lot easier, especially compared to running in 94-degree temperatures in the evening.

Running, 1 mile.
Swings, 16 kg, 10x10.
Military Presses, 24 kg, 1-7 ladder.

I think my swings are improving. I'm keeping my shoulders packed better, my hinge is much later, and I feel like I'm exploding more when I "straighten up" after the bottom of the swing. When my videographers return home, I'll post a video.

I'm still doing swings only every other day (and no getups at all). I have some tennis elbow in my right arm (which is manageable), along with a few other aches and pains, but skipping a day between workouts allows me to maintain my strength and skills while also giving me a little more time to recover between workouts (maybe that's more important at my age than it is for younger folks, at least until I build my strength a little more). My left trapezius continues to feel a little better--not perfect, but it's getting there. When it feels strong, I'll try to ease back into getups again.

Last edited:
Military press, 24 kg, 1-8 ladder.
Swimming, 6 laps.
Getups, 12 kg, 8x1.

FYI, swimming laps is more tiring at age 53 than age 11.

I finally figured out to do getups without hurting my upper left back. By squeezing my shoulder blades together and down (so much so that it feels like I'm trying to touch my elbows together behind my back at waist level), I can do the roll to elbow on my left side without feeling the stabbing pain near the edge of my left scapula that is closest to my spine. My right side doesn't need this extreme treatment, but my left side benefits from it. I also think the pain occurs near where one of the rhomboid muscles (major or minor) attaches to the scapula.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom