all posts post new thread

And We Were Swingin'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Running, 1 mile.
Swings, 24 kg, two-handed, 10x10.
Get-ups, 12 kg, 10x1.
Walking, 3.4 miles.

First full set of get-ups in about seven weeks (only 12 kg, but I'm excited nonetheless). Exaggerated packing of my shoulders, and starting with my non-kettlebell arm at about 70 degrees to my spine instead of 45, finally allows me to do get-ups without the pain in (what I think is) my left rhomboid muscle (major or minor, I'm not sure which).

Last edited:
(No practice yesterday. My back was sore.)

Swings, 24 kg, 10x10 2H.
Get-ups, 12 kg, 10x1.

I feel like my two-handed swings are becoming more "hard style". I'm exploding more at the start of the swing, and I'm able to tighten my glutes and trunk better at the top. Just two-handed swings for now, while waiting for my tennis elbow to heal.

While experimenting with get-ups, I discovered that the role-to-elbow is pain free if I make sure not to raise both shoulders off the ground at the same time. I have to keep the lower shoulder on the ground until the upper shoulder is a few inches off the ground. This seems to help more than trying to "super pack" my shoulders.

Last edited:
Run, 1 mile.
Swings, 24 kg, 10x10 2H.
Get-ups, 16 kg, 10x1.

First 16-kg get-ups in two months. Felt good.

Last edited:
Martial arts, 45 minutes.
Military presses, 24 kg, 1-8 ladders.
Swimming, 25 minutes.

Last edited:
Run, 1 mile.
Swings, 24 kg, 10x10 2H.
Get-ups, 12 kg, 10x1.
Walking, 3.3 miles.

Last edited:
Run, 1 mile.
Swings, 24 kg, 6x10 2H, 4x10 1H.
Get-ups, 12 kg, 10x1.
Cook carries, 12 kg, 6 minutes.

Last edited:
Run, 1 mile.
Swimming, 25 minutes.
Get-ups, six 12 kg, four 16 kg.
Walk, 3.9 miles.

Loving the results of my improved understand of rolling onto the elbow at the start of the get-up. My left rhomboid/scapula doesn't hurt for the first time since I started get-ups. Wearing water shoes helps, too.

Last edited:
It is amazing how a minor tweak to your form makes a big difference in your performance. It is good to see that you can now perform them without pain. Keep up the good work!

Loving the results of my improved understand of rolling onto the elbow at the start of the get-up. My left rhomboid/scapula doesn't hurt for the first time since I started get-ups. Wearing water shoes helps, too.

Sprints, 7x100 yds.
Swimming, 20 minutes.
Get-ups, 16 kg, 10x1.

First time doing sprints since early April. The weather was hot and I'm just easing back into them, but they're fun.

Last edited:
Swings, 16 kg, 10x10, 1H.
Get-ups, 12 kg, 10x1.
Military presses, 24 kg, ladder, 1-7.

Light day.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing.

I'm taking it easy on my hips for while. I started experiencing some pain in or near my hips when I started doing swings with better technique a few weeks ago. I think the problem is that the tendons and ligaments around my hips have such poor flexibility that when I do hard-style swings, it strains the connective tissue too much. I'm going to work on flexibility for a while before slowly reintroducing swings.

I recommend kettlebell deadlifts instead, so that you keep working the movement pattern without any ballistic strain. Just a thought...

I recommend kettlebell deadlifts instead, so that you keep working the movement pattern without any ballistic strain. Just a thought...
Good idea. I had thought about doing really slow swings, but I guess deadlifts are about the slowest swings possible. Thanks.

[Addendum] I just completed a series of 10x10 deadlifts. It's not the same as a similar number of swings, but it was a better workout than I expected.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom