all posts post new thread

Andrew's Training Log

acutaiar12

Level 7 Valued Member
Background: Lifelong athlete, 1,000+ point basketball career and a 1,000+ pound powerlifting total. My previous training log was called One Man, One Bell: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/one-man-one-bell.19672/ .

Goals: My long-term goal is to achieve the Timed Sinister standard, whenever that happens. I have achieved the Timed Simple standard (a video can be found on my old training log), but I do not own it. My shorter-term goal is to own Timeless Solid and Timed Simple. From there, I may continue with S&S, or take a detour with ROP or maybe snatch and bent press, then return to S&S. I haven't decided yet.

Right now: Life has been crazy over the past three months. Outside stress and lifting heavier than I should have has left me burned out. This is why I started a new log, to start fresh.

I am going to deload for a short time with some timeless simple sessions, and then continue towards the goal.

Last edited:
Today’s Practice: Timeless Simple

•3 rounds movement prep
•10x10 two arm swings x 32kg
•10x1 get ups x 32kg

Powerful. Tired though, end of the school year. Played some pick-up basketball with some of my seventh graders as well.

Cold shower and stretching session in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Today’s Practice:

Easy stretching with a focus on the gymnastic bridge in the morning, followed by some o2 apnea training, 3:15 minute breath hold to finish.

Some more easy stretching and co2 apnea training in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Today’s Practice:

StrongFirst Resilient drills 16kg and 24kg: bent arm-bars, arm-bars, sos get ups, hack squats, j-curls, hockey deadlifts, gymnastic bridges, neck bridges, and hanging drills

•Hill Workout #17: 42 hills (16 hills were with a 10kg weighted vest)

•o2 apnea training, 3:15 minute breath hold and easy co2 apnea training

Followed by a great nap. Great morning!

579A5B5A-7920-462F-96E3-CD9042213697.jpeg

My current courage corner. Going along with the theme of fresh starts, I may change up my S&S programming for Monday. Excited!

Last edited:
Today’s Practice: Pry Your Way Into Side Splits

•squats, cossacks, tactical frogs, kneeling hip flexor stretches, isometric seated straddle, split switches, waiting out the tension seated straddle, and my first attempt at road kill splits

I feel great! Great Sunday practice. I also followed that up with some easy o2 apnea training, 2 minutes 30 seconds final breath hold.

Last edited:
Today’s Practice: Road to Solid, Tactical Periodization, Cycle 1, Week 1

•3x5 goblet squats: 28, 36, 28
•8x10 one arm swings: 28, 36, 28, 28
•6x1 get ups: 24, 32, 24

I also did some SFG skill practice, apnea training, a lot of walking, and some stretching.

Easy day in terms of lifting, but a good one!

Today’s Practice: Road to Solid, Tactical Periodization, Cycle 1, Week 1

•3x5 goblet squats: 24, 32, 24
•10x10 swings: 24, 32, 24, 24, 24
•12x1 get ups: 32, 40, 32, 32, 32, 32

Swings felt super light and explosive. Get ups with the bulldog were alright.

Wednesday’s Practice:

•StrongFirst Resilient drills, 16kg
•Hill workout #18: 26 hills

Thursday’s Practice: S&S

•3 rounds movement prep
•10x10 one arm swings: 32, 40, 40, 32, 32
•10x1 get ups: 32, 40, 40, 32, 32
•stretching

Friday’s Practice: S&S

•3 rounds movement prep
•10x10 two arm swings: 32, 40, 40, 32, 32
•10x1 get ups: 32, 40, 40, 32, 32
•stretching

Today’s Practice:

•StrongFirst Resilient drills, 16kg
•Hill Workout #19: 70 hills, barefoot, PR

Simple is better.

Today’s Practice: Road to Timeless Solid, Week 1
  • 3x5 goblet squats: 24, 32, 24
  • 12x10 one arm swings: 24, 24, 32, 24, 24, 24
  • 10x1 get ups: 24, 24, 32, 24, 24
Super easy practice this morning. And it was a much needed one too!

Light stretching and apnea training in the afternoon. Still recovering from Saturday’s practice.

Last edited:
Today’s Practice: Road to Timeless Solid, Week 1

•3x5 goblet squats: 32, 40, 32
•10x10 one arm swings: 32, 32, 40, 32, 32
•12x1 get ups: 28, 28, 36, 28, 28, 28

This was the best one arm swings with the 40 has felt. Happy.

Today’s Practice: Active Recovery

•3 rounds each of bent arm-bars, arm-bars, hack squats, j-curls, and hockey deadlifts; all with 16kg
•3 rounds each of hanging drills, gymnastic bridges, and neck bridges
•o2 apnea training, 3:45 min breath hold
•co2 apnea training, 4/6 rounds finished, 2:05 min breath hold on 5th round
•splits practice

Today’s Practice: Timed Simple
  • 3 rounds movement prep
  • 10x10 one arm swings x 32kg (10 reps every 30 sec); 100 total swings in 5 min
  • 10x1 get ups x 32kg (1 rep every min); 10 total get ups in 10 min
  • stretching
The swings are really tough, not gonna lie. But, challenge is good. The get ups aren’t bad. By the time they’re done, I can pass the talk test.

Today’s Practice: Timed Simple
  • 3 rounds movement prep
  • 10x10 one arm swings x 32kg (10 reps every 30 sec); 100 total swings in 5 min
  • 10x1 get ups x 32kg (1 rep every min); 10 total get ups in 10 min
  • stretching
The swings are really tough, not gonna lie. But, challenge is good. The get ups aren’t bad. By the time they’re done, I can pass the talk test.
Looking good. Thing I found about doing Timed Simple is once you through the first couple GUs your HR is in back Z3 range and now you just move into the meditative portion of the session. Flow.

Looking good. Thing I found about doing Timed Simple is once you through the first couple GUs your HR is in back Z3 range and now you just move into the meditative portion of the session. Flow.
I’ve definitely noticed that. For me, if I get through the swings, then I know I’ll achieve the timed standard.

An interesting WTH effect I forgot to mention: yesterday, I broad jumped over 8 feet, cold and full!

Today’s Practice:

Hill Workout #20: 50 hills, barefoot

-20 forward
-4 side to sides, switch every 5
-4 side to sides, switch every 4
-2 side to sides, switch every 3
-8 backward
-4 zig zags, switch every 4
-2 zig zags, switch every 2
-4 bear crawls
-2 fence to fences

The hill workouts are feeling really good! I’m enjoying them a lot! I may need to cut the weight back on my S&S practice while the hill workouts get more intense. I will build up again slowly.

I also did some apnea training with a 3:45 minute breath hold!

Looks like you've figured out a few things! What do you recommend forpnea training? I've dabbled with some free-diving apps, but I am interested in the how and why of your apnea training.

Today’s Practice: Rest

5 sets of bent arm-bars with 16kg and 5 sets of split switches in the morning along with some o2 and co2 focused apnea training. A ton of walking throughout the day and an evening stretching session!

Looks like you've figured out a few things! What do you recommend forpnea training? I've dabbled with some free-diving apps, but I am interested in the how and why of your apnea training.
I’ve been using the same app called STAmina for over 5 years now. I started it mostly because I have asthma and was trying to find ways to feel better. The app generates tables based on your max hold time, so I just do those. I like to keep it simple. Fast forward five years, my best hold is 4.5 minutes and I don’t have any asthma symptoms anymore!

Back
Top Bottom