all posts post new thread

Barbell Andy Bolton Deadlift Shin Positioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Garage Warrior

Level 1 Valued Member
I bought Deadlift Dynamite by Pavel and Andy Bolton. Some things i need clarified, well one thing i suppose. On walking up to the bar he says the bar should be touching the shins. Most people i've read like Rippetoe in 'Starting Strength' etc say the bar should be mid foot and then as you bend down to the bar to take your grip then the shins, which initially would be around an inch away from the bar, come forward to touch the bar. The shins being against the bar right from the start means there's very little bend in the knee. Maybe that's the point though i don't know

It probably varies depending on your body and your leverages.
For my body I get the most out of keeping my shins vertical... which means touching the bar with the shins at the bottom and not really moving the tibia as the bar goes up. This forces my butt way back when I reach down for the bar and loads the posterior chain.
For sumo, my shins are vertical and touching the bar at the start of the pull, it feels like I'm pulling the bar back into my shins as I initiate the pull. I'm not dragging it up my leg but I would fall back on my butt if the barbell wasn't counterbalancing me.

I’m just guessing, but I think Rippetoe‘s set-up helps to avoid pushing and rolling the bar away. Rippetoe seems to advocate pulling with a higher hip position than what Pavel promotes. I‘m not sure being an inch from the bar helps to set your hips higher.

Let us know what Andy says, it took a week but he answered my email.

mrdave100 Thanks for reply. Yeah i'm gonna email him in the next couple of days. Deadlift is my fave lift. Just a real test of brute strength. There's a lot of stuff in Andy and Pavel's book. Lot of techniques and stuff to think about.

Well i tried emailing Andy but the message was sent back to me as not delivered. I'm wondering if the email he gives in the book is not live anymore? Maybe Pavel can answer does he ever come on here?

Hi guys emailed Andy through that link Geoffrey kindly provided and he got back to me straight away. Basically he is almost touching the bar with his shins right from the initial address of the bar because he explained his shin doesn't come forward at all unlike say Rip and others methods of initially having the bar mid foot and then after the hands are placed the shins come forward to the bar before bracing the back and getting everything tight and initiating the pull. Top man for getting back to me so quickly. :cool:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom