all posts post new thread

Nutrition Animal based (aka carnivore): sustainable for you?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
Beings I work in the food industry on a distributor level, I am always studying ways of eating, especially for older folks who are nearing grandparent status and want to maintain their fitness (like me).

I watched several vids yesterday on the carnivore diet. It doesn't seem all that far away from my current paleo-ish way of eating. Appears that dairy is okay in some forms, and veggies are okay on a limited basis. Also strikes me as being really close to Keto.

My question is, can someone eat like this for more than a few months? Would love to hear your take on this.

can someone eat like this for more than a few months?
Dr Shawn Baker

Baker's been on the Carnivor Diet for years.

Baker has some online articles, podcast and a book on amazon; The Carnivor Diet.

Also strikes me as being really close to Keto.
The Differences Bewtween The Carnivor and Ketogenic Diet

As you probably know, the primary difference is with the...

Macro Presentages

1) Ketogenic Diet Macro Percentages

a) Fat: Around 65% plus of Calorie Intake

b) Protein: Less than 25% Caloric Intake

c) Carbohydrates: 5% or less of Caloric Intake; never more than 50 gram per day.

These percentages ensure individuals are in ketosis and remain in ketosis.

2) Carivor Diet

"The Carnivore Diet is a restrictive diet that only includes meat, fish, and other animal foods like eggs and certain dairy products."

The higher intake of protein on the Carnivor...

a) Primarily restricts an individual from getting into ketosis. That because the protein intake is too high; higher than 25% of Macro Calorie Intake kicks individuals out of ketosis.

The higher amount of protein is converted into glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Thus, energy is primarily drive by glucose rather than ketones.

A Carnivor Diet is a High Protein, Low Carbohydrate, Moderate Fat Diet.

Moderate Fat because meats, eggs and dairy are fairly high in fat.

The Fat Intake is not enough for an individual to be in ketosis.

Last edited:
I basically did a fatty steak diet for months and loved it- rare, spiced, with sour cream spread on it. I was down to one meal a day and never tired. It was so simple and easy. My husband though? He couldn't take it anymore and insisted on having more variety. xD

I would have continued but it wasn't financially feasible to buy both steaks and other foods at the time. It is something I do look back on with fondness though. I might just have to do it again...

I've been playing with this concept for the past few weeks. Lots of eggs. I have either beef or pork a few times a week. Tuna and sardines make a quick meal. I implemented cheese as well. So far, so good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom