all posts post new thread

Barbell Another Bench Press versus Floor Press versus Weighted Dips Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
Sorry everyone who believes this topic has been beaten to death. I'm here to beat it some more.

For several years, I've taken great pride in my moral superiority in not bench pressing, believing the bench is responsible for destroyed rotator cuffs, the decline of western civilization and the disappearance of endangered species world wide. I was comfortable with my moral preeening and insufferable bench less bubble.

Then I read Pavel's article on which press is best and I'm depressed. And though I'm depressed I'm also lazy. So, given I have a barbell for deadlifts and a floor and an aversion to drastic muscle hypertrophy that will cause me big payments to my Italian tailor. (I like him, but not enough to bankroll his retirement fund *all* *by* *myself*) I am being tempted by the darkside to do floor presses. If I buy any equipment, it would be dipping bars to do dips. So, here are my questions:

(1) Is there a screening progression for when one is ready to bench or floor press with a barbell?

(2) Given the bench or floor fixes your scapula in place, is a winging scapula a problem for the bench or floor press?

(3) I seem to remember Pavel writing awhile ago that Russia's lack of bench press mavens in the past meant that rotator cuff injuries were unknown unless someone had been shot or fell off a cliff (which is really just a large bench carved out of stone). Just curious if there's a little nuance to that opinion.

(4) If picking the weighted bar dip as a substitute for the bench or floor press, is there a screen for whether your shoulders are ready and some type of guidelines for the proper width for the bars based on shoulder width?

I should point out I was content doing deadlifts on the daily dose deadlift plan and TGU's the same number of days and patting myself on the back for my good sense in avoiding the bench, but after reading Pavel's article I am second guessing that decision. Feel free to talk me out of my indecision and get me off the cliff any way you think best.

Kirk out.

I hear you about the bench less bubble. I did the same thing for a year or so. But floor presses are old school and awesome, so it's okay. ;)

One tip: I made a pair of wooden blocks for the plates to rest on at the bottom of the rep, their height being just enough to let me get my forearms under the bar. This saved me from having to do a pullover to start each set.

I hear you about the bench less bubble. I did the same thing for a year or so. But floor presses are old school and awesome, so it's okay. ;)

One tip: I made a pair of wooden blocks for the plates to rest on at the bottom of the rep, their height being just enough to let me get my forearms under the bar. This saved me from having to do a pullover to start each set.

This would certainly be cheaper than excavating a body sized hole in my basement floor 5'10" in length that I could lay in, vampire style, while flooring my press.

You could always perform neutral grip bench presses with your bells. One of my biggest issues was not properly warming up before bench, once I did I have been fine when I bench, 15 years injury free while benching. Dips are great until people allow form to deteriorate for added weight. If you perform movements correctly no one should be injured. I don't care what the movement is, there is always a chance for injury if not performed correctly.

Bench for a 6-8 week cycle. With a proper warm up and stretch you should be fine.

@Benedictine Monk I'm sorry. I don't mean to be disrespectful. Maybe be you are over cautious and over analyze lifting. You may be the type to make things more complicated than they need to be. Just lift and see how it goes. You are cautious enough to not progress to fast and do something you are not ready for.

I have been lifting so long I find it hard to empathize with beginners. I have a different approach and mindset than most here. Again I don't mean any disrespect.

Last edited:
@Benedictine Monk I'm sorry. I don't mean to be disrespectful. Maybe be you are over cautious and over analyze lifting. You may be the type to make things more complicated than they need to be. Just lift and see how it goes. You are cautious enough to not progress to fast and do something you are not ready for.

I have been lifting so long I find it hard to empathize with beginners. Again I don't mean any disrespect.

No offense taken. I suffered nerve damage back in 2010 from my winging scapula and the experience still haunts me.

A buddy of mine used to use jack stands, for the same reason. If I get a barbell again, I'll probably do that as well.

I love the Floor Press, especially when paired with the DL. That's how I did my PTTP. Since the FP utilizes a total stop at the bottom, I've heard it likened to an "Upper Body Deadlift". I agree with that assessment, and thus the synergy with the DL.

No offense taken. I suffered nerve damage back in 2010 from my winging scapula and the experience still haunts me.

I've never had a scapula injury, so I am hardly an expert, but I've never had any scapular concerns from either the FP or the BP. But the FP was a lot easier on my RC, if that is an issue.

I prefer to hip thrust the barbell into position, and I can rest my triceps on the floor while touching my chest. Paused and chain loaded floor presses are two very good press assistance exercises. Also, Kettlebell one armed floor press and bent arm bar presses are good as warmup exercises.

A buddy of mine used to use jack stands, for the same reason. If I get a barbell again, I'll probably do that as well.

I love the Floor Press, especially when paired with the DL. That's how I did my PTTP. Since the FP utilizes a total stop at the bottom, I've heard it likened to an "Upper Body Deadlift". I agree with that assessment, and thus the synergy with the DL.

What set and rep scheme did you use?

Sorry. Let me qualify that. I'm using the Daily Dose Deadlift rep and set scheme for the deadlift so I was curious how you hacked the Floor Press for set and rep scheme and whether you did it before or after the deadlift.

I did it with PTTP with the 5, 3, 2 variation, usually after the Deadlift.

Does the kb floor press, as in the get up, compare to a barbell floor press? is it a same but different thing? Or a different thing entirely?

Sorry. Let me qualify that. I'm using the Daily Dose Deadlift rep and set scheme for the deadlift so I was curious how you hacked the Floor Press for set and rep scheme and whether you did it before or after the deadlift.
You know.... I don't see any reason you couldn't do the FP with the same percentages/rep scheme as DDD. Except possible shift it a day or two so you don't have both >75% lifts on the same day. It would be very similar to PTTP.
I'd also do FP first these days.

Does the kb floor press, as in the get up, compare to a barbell floor press? is it a same but different thing? Or a different thing entirely?
It's pretty much the same, or at least as similar as the Barbell Press is to a KB Press. So obviously some differences, but not a completely different animal. I do however prefer a barbell for the FP. I think the extra weight is beneficial for the FP.

I prefer to hip thrust the barbell into position, and I can rest my triceps on the floor while touching my chest. Paused and chain loaded floor presses are two very good press assistance exercises. Also, Kettlebell one armed floor press and bent arm bar presses are good as warmup exercises.

Would be interesting to compare the various methods people use for floor press by survey - hip thrust; wood blocks; partner assisted; car jacks (partial to the car jacks and wood blocks, though I like the completely minimalist approach of hip thrusts which you could do on a dirt floor or laying down in a field).

Hello,

@Benedictine Monk
I don't do bench press. I think it can be dangerous if done alone and if a problem occures (grip, fatigue, too heavy or whatever). I prefer weighted dips. The require torso stabilization and are also quite challenging (even if they do not really build "big pecs")

May this option interest you ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Benedictine Monk
I don't do bench press. I think it can be dangerous if done alone and if a problem occures (grip, fatigue, too heavy or whatever). I prefer weighted dips. The require torso stabilization and are also quite challenging (even if they do not really build "big pecs")

May this option interest you ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

It would - my only questions are: equipment preference? Ideal spacing of dipping bars? How to screen to see if shoulders can handle it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom