all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Another Crossroads (Barbell or Kettlebell!)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You have to decide what is really important to you and what is more for variety and entertainment purposes..

There's a reason strong enough is strong enough depending on your needs

You must not have missed heavy snatch yet and had a bad bail where the bar whacks on you on the back of the head / neck. ;)
The heaviest snatch I ever attempted (back in my 20s) was 130, which was just a little over my body weight at the time - and it hit my shin on the way down. To this day I marvel that it didn't just snap my shin bone in half.

But then, I'd never suggest that anyone make an attempt to snatch their body weight for their health!

IMO, a well-lived life in the iron game demands the right kind of consistency and the right kind of variety to achieve both progress and longevity. I say this not just to make a grand statement of philosophy, but also to say that what you decide to do next doesn't mean you're committing the rest of your life to it - it's just what's next. As the years go by, you'll find what you like to compete in, what you like for off-season training, what you need to keep in your program most of the time and what you can visit less often, etc.

-S-

@Steve Freides @Geoff Neupert @Anna C @watchnerd @WhatWouldHulkDo @Mark Limbaga Thank you very much for your input and my apologies if it seemed like I dropped the ball on this thread! My family and I were away in the Northern part of the Adirondacks for almost 2 weeks and I didn't have access to a computer. I read through this thread carefully several times, learned a lot and reflected on it. I think I'm going to do another round of kettlebells and work my way into testing the waters with integrating some barbell work. I do want to wait until the knee is completely good before I work any O lifts back into the rotation. After thinking about it, I think it was the pull from the floor that really fired up the tendonitis, so if/when I work back into the O lifts I will probably focus on the lifts from the hang position, and if the knee gets testy again I'll know that it's probably another portion of the lift that's doing a number on it.

Wyanokie, it sounds like you've had a stretch of bad outcomes with tendonitis. Is there something behind that this that is somewhat independent of what tool is being used that could be addressed, opening things up more for you?

@Steve A , according to the PT, my right glute is either not firing correctly or slightly weaker, leading to the quadricep tendonitis in the right knee. I suspect that there is more to it that is exacerbating it, including the fact that I have significant arthritis in my right knee, and I also suspect that the tendon does not track properly based on some rubbing that I feel (and have been feeling for some time). Not suggesting that either of these things caused the tendonitis, but I think it increases the discomfort.

Thank you again to everyone, all of this is much appreciated!

Similar thoughts to my use of KB & BW... Though some are better off with a barbell, some are ready for the change. Coming from JW is no small statement.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom