all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Another Ruckin' Question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Coyote

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey folks, I think I have read everything available here on rucking, but I have some questions on specifics;

1) What pack are you using? Frameless or with a frame?

2) What weight are you using, and do you ruck for time or mileage?

3)Do you ruck by heart rate?

4) What adaptations are you working towards?

I am a runner, but every winter my fitness suffers because of weather and a holiday diet. I think I have my diet under control, but I have been considering that rucking might be better on these icy roads. I honestly do a lot of walking on my mainly MAF based runs.

I see a lot of recommendations of go-ruck packs, but do they have a frame? They are also a hell of an investment. I have rucked some with 20-30 pounds and it's hard to get my HR up to maf levels. I am afraid to load my current pack any heavier.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Runner turned Rucker here. I didn’t get it until I tried it. Relocating helped. I used to run for about 10 min to a park with trails, then run home. Why ruck? I didn’t get, especially as I have done a fair bit of trail races and off road triathlon. Well now I live in the woods, down a steep gravel road. Running not really convenient, so I tried rucking with my HRM. Just walking the hill didn’t really get my HR up enough, but running is too much. Even my Div 1 XC runner niece doesn’t like the steep road as it interferes with her coach’s workouts. So I put a KB in a soft pack and hiked it. It beat up my traps for awhile, but now I don’t even notice it.

So I use a 16K bell in a soft pack, per many folks recommendations, though I will soon move up to the 20K. I’ve been using the 16 since the start of summer. Dan John recommences adding weight to your hands and feet rather than the pack. I’ll try ankle weights but the heavy hands style stuff won’t work because I always have the dogs with me. I go for 30-60 min at a time. I go after lifting, or after some swings and carries. Due to the hill and the weight, there’s quite a bit of muscle endurance going on. It’s reminiscent of climbing on the bike, and has surprisingly maintained some bike fitness. I don’t wear my HRM, but I might start again. I use a soft pack my niece gave me that was padded well enough and big enough to swallow a KB. I would like to add poles, but that might tangle the dogs.

Just give it a go.

Hey folks, I think I have read everything available here on rucking, but I have some questions on specifics;

I am a runner, but every winter my fitness suffers because of weather and a holiday diet. I think I have my diet under control, but I have been considering that rucking might be better on these icy roads. I honestly do a lot of walking on my mainly MAF based runs.

I see a lot of recommendations of go-ruck packs, but do they have a frame? They are also a hell of an investment. I have rucked some with 20-30 pounds and it's hard to get my HR up to maf levels. I am afraid to load my current pack any heavier.

Thanks!

I will answer your questions in reverse order...

4) I ruck only when I am training for upcoming alpine climbing trips. (Fewer these days due to Covid) Adaptations expected are to mimic load carrying in the mountains. I usually start about 8-10 weeks out.

3) Yes, I use an HRM and I always (almost) stay at or below my AeT. I do not ruck for any aerobic considerations. If any occur that’s a bonus. I get my ‘cardio’ elsewhere.

2) I most likely go way lighter than most. I aim for approximately no more than 10% of what I would carry on the climbing trip. I try to stay under 12kg for most 2-3 day trips. So I would normally aim for about 13kg more or less. I typically go for time. These days if I have to carry more than that in the mountains I will: (in no particular order, and sometimes in combination) Reevaluate my objectives, dump-out my pack and start again, use pack animals, use fixed-wing or helicopter support.

1) I use the exact pack I will be carrying in the mountains, which will always be an internal frame soft pack for most trips of this nature. (Black Diamond Speed, Patagonia Ascentionist, Wild Things Andinista)

Not in your list of questions but...

I wear stiff-soled mountain boots; again the exact pair I will be wearing in the mountains.

I typically will ruck on rugged, uneven terrain, with a mix of both uphill and downhill sections.

Hi,

1) Goruck GR1. They’re great for rucking but expensive for what they are. They’re not that great for other stuff in my opinion- they make sense with a heavy load but better packs are available for travel, daily carry etc (if that matters to you).

2) 16-20 kg. I’ve tried heavier (up to 32 kg) and don’t like it- the biomechanics/dynamics change and I’m not sure that sort of load is the point. I weigh around 80 kg. I ruck for time, normally 60-90 minutes.

3) I wear a HRM but don’t look at my heart rate until after (if at all). I never seem to exceed my AeT rucking and spend most of my time with my HR quite a bit below it. It’s certainly more of a Z1 than a z2 activity for me.

4) GPP for life and outdoor stuff. Rucking is convenient if you have a dog to walk (who doesn’t like to run) and when it’s muddy/icy/slippy/dark. I’ve found it carries a low injury risk. I’ve experienced good carryover to mountain biking and running, though once I started running I wondered why I’d bothered rucking for so long (before straining my calf!) - my subjective opinion is running seems better for building an aerobic base, but at higher risk of injury. I can’t ruck walk fast enough to get close to AeT.

My "race" pack is a medium ALICE pack. People can say what they want, but it works for me.

Currently, 20+ pounds of sand, plus the weight of the pack. I ruck for time as I've only been doing this a month.

No, not at this time.

At this time, I ruck for time, but I have the goal of doing 12 miles in 3 hours with 35 pounds plus water, sometime next spring.

1) Atlas Trainer frame and plate bracket.

2) I am at 45lbs right now. When I can cover 6 miles, in under 90 minutes, nose-breathing only, I will add 5-10 lbs.

3) It's my LISS/LSD/LED work.

Hello,

I use my regular hiking bag which has a frame, a waist belt, etc...
Proper packing is important. A well distributed weight can make you ruck pretty far under heavy load. Otherwise...it can be a a simple torture.

It depends. If the terrain is "relatively" even, I may ruck for 3h+ with 32kg (I usually simply put my bell in the pack).

On a "regular" ruck, which I use for maintenance, I ruck for time (from 45 to 90 minutes) with 40kg, regardless the terrain This fits more or less my schedule because I am lucky enough to see the forest from my home.

No. I only use nasal breathing to be sure maintaining a sustainable pace. I enjoy trusting my body. I know I will not really "exploit" the HR data anyway.

This is another way to train my working capacity / GPP, alongside with trailing and sprinting. It also works a little more on the upper body.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The old-school way of training for thru-hikes was to load your hiking pack up with books. That's how the old guys I used to work with did it. Except it wasn't called "training." It was called "getting used to it."

I ruck in beat up trainers, but I’m not doing it for hours. I suppose for specificity’s sake I should do it in my bike shoes. Which means I should also be pushing my bike, as happens a lot at Leadville.

Dave Wiens shared at the training camp that he actually trained that during his stretch of wins.

Hill People Gear Decker at the moment. Framed. I train with the ruck I use in the field. Frames transfer weight to hips and are much better, frameless might be fine up to 30-40lbs.

2) What weight are you using, and do you ruck for time or mileage? Sandbag. Sometimes for time sometimes for mileage, usually a combo. I rarely have a “I have to hit this pace” tho.

3)Do you ruck by heart rate? No. Nasal breathing normally.

4) What adaptations are you working towards? Be better for what I do or want to do. Aerobic improvements.

Thanks!

1, I'll use a WAS Pegasus 28ltr assualt pack for lighter yomps and I'll use an SF airborne 150ltr bergen for my heavier yomps.

2, Weight will vary depending on goals I am working on. The Bismarck Challenge has been canned because of covid but before that I was training between 15-25kg for a variety of distances but always over the hills of Brecon for a minimum of 5 miles.

3, No.

4, At getting so used to the suck of travelling at speed with weight on my back for a sustained period of time. I already yomp to a high standard, now it is about pushing the limits.

However since the challenge has been canned my training has gone back to the Pete's Plan lunchtime program 3 days a week, A+A Snatched 4 days a week for various time frames with a 36kg bell (as of this week), some easy runs and learning some new movements. I've recently found out that learning new movements increases brain plasticity, so I'm going to adjust my regular strength training sessions with the progressing for muscle ups, planche and handstand push ups.

Or try go rucking with lil kids around....you will see your HR up and down like a roller coaster hahahah

Or use more weight. 20lbs is just lunch.;)
Well, I need a pack that can handle it. Thus my post.. I still am pretty unclear on what to buy. Alice packs are going for $100 on Ebay, and they are all 60 years old. I cant see a unframed pack able to handle 40+lbs. I just can not justify spending $200 on something to use occasionally.
I think this may be a hobby idea that I have to drop.

@Coyote, please share some numbers. I tell you why I ask - I have found the benefits of easy walking to be many, but I don't hit my target, I'm about 20 bpm below it. It's still beneficial and, at least for me, I'm not feeling the need to hit my number.

I'm 65 years old, so my understanding is my number is 115 + 5 - 180 minus my age, plus 5. I average around 100 when walking.

-S-

Well, I need a pack that can handle it. Thus my post.. I still am pretty unclear on what to buy. Alice packs are going for $100 on Ebay, and they are all 60 years old. I cant see a unframed pack able to handle 40+lbs. I just can not justify spending $200 on something to use occasionally.
I think this may be a hobby idea that I have to drop.
Check out Rothco brand ALICE packs, or more specifically, US Patriot Tactical. You can have a complete new medium pack for $125. Their shipping is fast! Ordered a complete large ALICE Friday morning and it arrived Saturday.

The other thing you can do is pump light hand weights, ala Heavy Hands, it works, and it spreads the load.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom