all posts post new thread

training to support bjj

it's been 3-4 times a week, lately, depending on my capacity. That seems to be about right for now.

PTTP #20
  • bridge press 120x5, 110x5.
  • DL 235x5, 210.
  • curl 65x5, 55x5
After a few weeks of my shoulder feeling 100%, it's been getting a bit sore the last few days. Seems like it's a little early to be getting heavy on the bridge press, so I'll switch back to overhead pressing for now.

PTTP #21
  • press 70x5, 65x5.
  • back squat 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 95x5
  • curl 65x5, 55x5
Break since the last session, due to illness and a little project: setting up a half rack in my garage gym. Almost done installing it, still need to borrow a hammer drill to get it properly anchored.

Planning to switch things up in a few weeks to run the Tactical Barbell mass template, so figured I'd reacquaint myself with the back squat, as it's been 2+ years. Will bump up the weight once I have the rack installed and don't have to clean & push press the bar into position.

PTTP #22
  • press 75x5, 65x5.
  • back squat 105x5, 95x5
  • curl 70x4, 65x5
Finished installing the rack. It is nice to have. Squats feeling a little funky on my sometimes touchy knee, a good reminder to ease back into squatting any amount of weight.

PTTP #23
  • press 80x5, 70x5.
  • back squat 110x5, 100x5
  • curl 70x3, 60x5
Thought I had this cold beat, but it make a comeback over the weekend. Squat still a challenge for my knee, so I guess this is about the right load for now.

PTTP #24
  • press 85x5, 75x5.
  • back squat 115x5, 105x5
  • curl 55x5, 50x5
Knee has been a little sore on and off. I'm not sure that it's connected to the squatting, though. Felt fine while doing squats this session, probably best it's felt of the last 4.

How's your squat feeling? Sometimes it could be just a minor tweak to technique that may help. Maybe doing some goblet squats with just a plate sometimes can help engraving your ideal squatting stance. Do you stretch or do any loosening drills after lifting? Mobility before? It can help really ease the joints and lubricate them. Is it soreness of the muscle or joint pain? One is acceptable train under with load while the other is a sign to back intensity. Hope it feels better!

PTTP #25
  • press 75x5, 65x5.
  • back squat 120x5, 110x5
  • curl 55x5, 50x5
Thanks for the thoughts, Philippe. The squats feel pretty good overall. I do get a bit of crackling in that knee some reps, and if I'm lax on preventing valgus collapse, it doesn't feel great. When it does bug me, it feels like a joint issue. Have had some trouble on and off with this knee for years, likely related to an ankle injury I sustained 10 years ago. The ankle seems to be 100% now, at least.

I like the goblet squat reminder. I've been doing them on and off, and they usually feel fine. Tried throwing some light ones in as a warmup today, I think I'll run with that for a while. Usually I do a few minutes of Original Strength type movements to warm up (rolls, rocking, some crawling). Then I do a few more of those after training. I'm not aware of being particularly tight, so I don't have a regular static stretching routine.

The knee has felt just fine since yesterday's session, so I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track with these. I think the PTTP approach of lifting often with minimal load increases is a good fit for where I'm at right now.

I've returned to PTTP too. Every time when I finish my two 5-rep set I feel more energetic, and powerful. It's a great program for deadlift. How is it goes with Squats?

PTTP #28
  • press 90x4, 80x5
  • back squat 120x5, 110x5
  • curl 60x5, 55x5
woke up with my knee a bit sore, so decided I might as well wave back the squats. Felt solid at 120#. Looks like my pressing strength is right where I left it last time around. Will do one more wave this cycle & maybe see what 95# feels like.

PTTP #29
  • press 80x5, 70x5
  • back squat 125x5, 110x5
  • curl 60x5, 55x5
had a doubleheader of ultimate games over the weekend, and was feeling pretty banged up, wasn't sure how much I'd be able to do. Did a few warmup sets to be safe. Fortunately, all the lifts went fine.

Back
Top Bottom