all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Another weight increase question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Didn't want to hijack Ali's thread as this is a bit different question:

My TGU is a 1/2 TGU then stand, clean, press, squat.

I have the 16 kg bell down and have been working on the 24 for TGU's and swings. Can do 10X10 swings one handed now. The 1/2 TGU's I can do all 10 though I am grinding hard but no "issues".

The problem is after 2 handed clean of the 24, I can NOT get it to budge off my shoulder. I can squat no problem but even push-press or jerk it is almost as if glued. So the question is--what would be best regression?

I have started doing that part w/ the 16 again and adding in several presses/push-presses with super slow lowering back to rack (3-5 seconds maybe), working up the volume. But I could probably do some sort of two handed/assisted press with the 24 and control the lowering (i.e. yielding press), at least on single rep sets.

Which is likely to give faster, more solid progress-multiple presses w/ slow lowering with the 16 kg, or singles of only yielding press with the 24 kg

@GeoffreyLevens perhaps some instruction in the jerk or push-press would help you.

Please post a video of your version of the getup (1/2 tgu then stand, clean, squat).

-S-

What is your reason for not completing a full TGU?
Instead of the clean, press, squat part you could do a clean -> windmill -> lunge (with KB overhead) or squat (racked or goblet). The windmill replicates some of the movements of the TGU much better than the press. For the last part i'd go for the lunge, because it's closer to a full TGU, but you might not be able to do them.
For the windmill and the lunge you could easily do a two handed push press and then don't have to worry about slow negatives or using higher eps with a lighter weight

Steve, I will see what I can do about a video. No camera, only $20 flip phone. I have friend w/ phone that might do it but they are out of town until Sunday.

KbElephant, good idea. Will try some of that tomorrow. I would like to get more "work" on my quads as that does seem to be helping my knees quite a bit and lunge would be a way to focus the weight on one then the other. I can do sets of 10 goblet squats w/ the 24 though it is pretty intense on upper body, respiration, and CNS (could be the breathing but I feel a tad delirious for a bit after each set). Racked lunges might ease the breathing a bit.

The reason I changed the TGU a bit is that kneeling causes a lot of pain at leading edge of tibia; doubt there is much cartilage left there. But lunges I could do...touch and go like kissing a baby, not putting weight on it.

proceed with 1/2 TGUs with the 24, then use an ROP ladders program for presses with the 16 and you will be pressing the 24 in no time.

Nice idea newbie. Have to decide if I want to focus on locked out hold strength or pressing strength since they do seem to be different with some overlap

@GeoffreyLevens the reason I ask for a video is to see what you're doing - your description isn't completely clear to me.

If - _if_ - you can get a 24 overhead by some means with confidence, then you can use the Yielding Press to help build your pressing strength with it.

-S-

Steve, thanks, that's it then? faster progress that way than pressing the 16 for reps? I can "cheat" the 24 up there and do that. I two hand press from floor at start of 1/2 get up then feel pretty good holding the 24 locked out while I work through to high bridge position then back down. Then I two hand it back down to the floor and park it, stand up, have been clean/press/squating mostly w/ the 16 but want to work up to the 24. Might try lunges instead of the squats to make it more TGU like

Do both, press the 16 and yielding press the 24. Do bottoms up work with the 16 as well.

-S-

Thanks Steve, will do. Though I will need to work into it gradually. Right now am up to 3 reps push press and slow return each TGU w/ the 16 and that is about maxing me out.

Of course, take your time. Just keep in the back of your mind that _anything_ you do with a weight you want to press held over your head will help you achieve that press. Stiff-arming it up there, like you do in a getup, is a great way to start, then you start getting up there in other ways and eventually you press it.

Good luck to you!

-S-

Thanks Steve, good reminder to someone who is still working on tendency to always push everything to the limit.

Managed 3 sets of 1 neg press (24kg) each followed by 2 push presses w/ the 16kg. That felt like plenty.
Rack feels "not strong" w/ the 24 and interesting that it seems much harder to do front squat w/ racked bell than goblet squat w/ same weight; reckon it is the asymmetrical loading.

interesting that it seems much harder to do front squat w/ racked bell than goblet squat w/ same weight
The racked position is harder for most because the bell is closer to your body and therefore cannot serve as well as a counterbalance to the tendency to fall backwards. A good way to work up to a racked squat (our kettlebell front squat) is simply to try to hold the kettlebell in your goblet squat closer to your body.

-S-

Goblet squat I have bell nearly touching chest, shins vertical, spin vertical or near to it... Feels to me rather than counterbalance being an issue it is more shoulder and upper back strength and stability issue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom