all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anterior pelvic tilt during swing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coolrunnings

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all

I am new to S&S and just working my way up to 10x10 one arm swings with 16kg. I have a question about the hip hinge. Before I do my sets of swings, I stand one foot away from the wall and practice my unloaded hip hinges. It seems like there are two main different ways for me to get my a#@ back touching the wall (without bending the knees significantly):

- Simply hinging at the hips and pressing my butt back
- Doing the above combined with an anterior pelvic tilt (what an SFG coach described to me as "headlights down")

How much of the hinge and the swing movement should be this pelvic tilt? Should it lead the movement, should it be a conscious consideration, or should it just happen naturally as a result of a proper hinge?

Thank you!

don't know what you have been told but think those cues are generally to get you to put your hips into the correct position to hold a neutral spine throughout

So you guys wouldn't recommend the 'headlights up' or 'headlights down' coaching cues at all?

Sometimes, cues are not inherently good or bad, it is how you interpret it. If this cue has been causing you to use an anterior pelvic tilt strategy rather than keeping a neutral spine, then it may not be the best cue for you.

One of the best analogies I have heard for the neutral spine comes from Brett Jones - I am going to paraphrase slightly, but the rib cage should sit on the "box" of the pelvis. This keeps you in a cylinder - ideal for spinal stability. If you anteriorly (or posteriorly) tilt the pelvis, the rib cage would be unable sit comfortably on the box below and would fall off.

[] rib cage
_ pelvis

you can see tilting the pelvis would affect how the rib cage sits.

Keeping that cylinder will allow you spinal stability. Think of the hinge as coming almost exclusively from the hip socket - in the backswing, the hips go back to "load up" for the power of the swing by rotating over top of the femur.

Hopefully this makes a little sense to you

Lot of different cues and info out there on this, which makes it harder for people like me to figure out what is "right". And to make it worse, "right" probably isn't exactly same for everyone. Really had almost given up on swings, due to back pain and awkwardness, until I figured out how to brace with neutral spine instead of arch. Had been taught to lift with arch, and wasted years lifting that way. Huge difference. For me, Supple Leopard book was the resource that really imprinted how to maintain neutral spine during activity. Game changer. For me, and I would theorize most, a braced neutral spine is safest once learned and implemented correctly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom