all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anterior Pelvic Tilt with S&S

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TYNL

First Post
Hello everybody,

In my search for exercises & stretches to correct my posture from APT I have found the most frequent answer is to stretch the hip flexors and low back while strengthening abs, hamstrings, and glutes.

Do you guys think S&S will help with this?

Yes. If you've never done KB exercises before, begin with hip flexor stretches then the bridges as described in S&S. Start with deadlifts before you start swinging, focusing on pushing the hips forward at the top to achieve the "plank" position (neutral spine, ribs on pelvis) at the top of the deadlift.

Hello everybody,

In my search for exercises & stretches to correct my posture from APT I have found the most frequent answer is to stretch the hip flexors and low back while strengthening abs, hamstrings, and glutes.

Short answer: yes!

Long(er) answer: Kettlebell swings strengthen glutes and abs (which are weak in ATP) which relieves the low back. Hip flexor stretching and activation loosens it up, also taking the pressure off the low back.

S&S has certainly worked for me. My gait is stronger, I get uncomfortable sooner if sitting too long (which I see as a good thing, meaning my former posture was too patterned for sitting), and I don't get low back soreness doing everyday things like long walks, etc.

Definitely! The hip bridge from S&S will stretch the hip flexors, as will the TGU, and a correctly performed swing will strengthen the entire posterior chain.
Welcome to the forum :)

Do you seriously use the hip bridge from S&S for stretching? I could never be in the position long enough for it to stretch. I thought it was included in the S&S as a mobility drill. I also don't remember there to be any hip flexor stretches in the book, but maybe I'm being an idiot once again.

I have found the lunge stretch to be a good one for hip flexors.

Do you seriously use the hip bridge from S&S for stretching? I could never be in the position long enough for it to stretch. I thought it was included in the S&S as a mobility drill. I also don't remember there to be any hip flexor stretches in the book, but maybe I'm being an idiot once again.
The hip bridge is not meant to be a stretch, it is merely meant to activate the glutes and inhibit the hip flexors in preparation for swings. It also helps "warm up" the hip hinge motor pattern.

Like @rickyw said, I understand it and use it as a drill to "wake up" the necessary muscles for the hinge movement.

I do the kneeling hip flexor stretch in addition or in place of the hip bridge, especially on days when I've been sitting all day at the office or driving.

The hip bridge is not meant to be a stretch, it is merely meant to activate the glutes and inhibit the hip flexors in preparation for swings. It also helps "warm up" the hip hinge motor pattern.

Like @rickyw said, I understand it and use it as a drill to "wake up" the necessary muscles for the hinge movement.

I do the kneeling hip flexor stretch in addition or in place of the hip bridge, especially on days when I've been sitting all day at the office or driving.

Yes, this is how I see it as well. I was just a bit puzzled about other interpretations of the S&S practice.

If you have anterior pelvic tilt which is causing you trouble see a physio/physical therapist. I had been ignoring mine for years assuming my glutes were strong enough and that all I needed was some stretching. Then I was told my glute medius was weak and with some easy correcitves (clamshells) my pelvic tilt has all but gone. S&S is great, but it might not find your exact issue.
Good luck.

If you define stretching as putting a tendon or muscle under tension in its most stretched part for an extended period of time, then no. However, I do think that mobility drills will also aid in flexibility, and the other way around.

Sorry to renew an old thread, but this was right on point. In addition to some of the aforementioned ideas, what about a pelvic exercise using a strong elastic band? Attach to a fixed point, then standing upright away from the attachment, with tension in the band, wrap the band around the waist but below the belt loop. You can then tilt the pelvis forward with resistance. Thoughts? Been trying this and it feels better so far, but time will tell. Thinking to do a series of long holds lasting a few minutes plus pulses. Expert diagram enclosed ;-)

Screenshot 2018-10-06 at 10.39.10 AM.png

Sorry to renew an old thread, but this was right on point. In addition to some of the aforementioned ideas, what about a pelvic exercise using a strong elastic band? Attach to a fixed point, then standing upright away from the attachment, with tension in the band, wrap the band around the waist but below the belt loop. You can then tilt the pelvis forward with resistance. Thoughts? Been trying this and it feels better so far, but time will tell. Thinking to do a series of long holds lasting a few minutes plus pulses. Expert diagram enclosed ;-)

View attachment 6528

I think you might find it difficult to get the correct leverage with the band. I’d suggest sticking with S&S and the warmups. Make sure you aren’t thrusting your hips forward at the end of your swing. This happens with a lazy hip snap and will exaggerate your APT - great way to get hurt on a deadlift lockout as well. Remember to fire the gun and keep your arm connected to your body until you lock your knees and clench your glutes (driving your pelvis into PPT). Do not allow your rib cage to move behind your pelvis or your pelvis ahead of your feet.

Hello everybody,

For as a long as I remember, I had a horrible APT. To the point, where I couldn't do any routine ab exercises. Low back pain would build up super quick and I had to abandon the exercise long before I felt any ab activation. I had to eventually search up and use ab exercises that do not activate the hip flexors. Did not stick to them long, though.

After ignoring my APT for at least two years, today I discovered that 16 months of kettlebell work have completely corrected my APT!!! I have to deliberately deform my posture now to recreate how I used to look like. During those 16 months, I did some S&S. However, the main workouts were three rounds of ROP and, since late October, ROTK. Did very little stretching and no supplemental ab work either.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom