all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anti-Aging: Q&D, IF, what else?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AyBu

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to come up with some kind of lifestyle / program that I could do for years to stay healthy, looks not to bad on the beach and improve longevity. I'm wondering of other people are looking for the same thing and would like to discuss here?
I watched recently Joe Rogan and David Sinclair an that made me think about Q&D, IF, stress,...

So here is more or less what I'm planning to try:

Training:
- Quick and Dead 3 times a week (seems a good program to improve mitochondria health)
- Running 3 times a week, around 45min, slow pace (running or walking seems important, they say 7km per day...)

Diet:
- kind of intermittent fasting / warrior diet, only coffee in the morning, doing Q&D or running fasted
- eating clean

Supplement:
- vitamin D3, omega-3 and all-in-one vitamins (to cover the bases)
(thinking about NMN and resveratol, not sure about them)

Cold exposure:
- at least finish showers with cold water (not going full Wim Hof but trying as much as possible)

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to come up with some kind of lifestyle / program that I could do for years to stay healthy, looks not to bad on the beach and improve longevity. I'm wondering of other people are looking for the same thing and would like to discuss here?
I watched recently Joe Rogan and David Sinclair an that made me think about Q&D, IF, stress,...

So here is more or less what I'm planning to try:

Training:
- Quick and Dead 3 times a week (seems a good program to improve mitochondria health)
- Running 3 times a week, around 45min, slow pace (running or walking seems important, they say 7km per day...)

Diet:
- kind of intermittent fasting / warrior diet, only coffee in the morning, doing Q&D or running fasted
- eating clean

Supplement:
- vitamin D3, omega-3 and all-in-one vitamins (to cover the bases)
(thinking about NMN and resveratol, not sure about them)

Cold exposure:
- at least finish showers with cold water (not going full Wim Hof but trying as much as possible)

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.
I've done a fair amount of research/interviews on this subject. Mostly with Steve Maxwell and Ori Hofmekler.
  • Training
    • Proper Strength Training is key. Every modality works, but it's how you use that modality that matters. Avoiding movements that are risky or weights that are just simply not necessary.
    • Keeping your goals intrinsic. Focusing on perfect practice instead of number of reps.
    • Leave the bravado and ego somewhere else. After all strength training is what a human is supposed to do, nothing hardcore about it.
    • Plenty of walking, relaxed breathing and joint mobility.
  • Diet
    • I am a proponent of the Warrior Diet style of eating. The most important part is sustainability and consistency. Not getting too locked into a specific time frame. Being able to enjoy a piece of cake without losing your mind.
    • The main reason Intermittent Fasting works is calorie restriction, so I'd say every diet works provided it's sustainable and enjoyable.
  • Supplements
    • I take a page from Ori Hofmekler's stress response complex. All these are kind of iffy science but having spoken with Ori, I sorta understand it.
    • Supplements I take
      • Morning
        • Green Tea Extract
        • Probiotic
        • Salicin
        • Creatine
      • Nighttime
        • Resveratrol
        • MutiVitamin
        • Fish Oil
        • Turmeric/Curcumin w/bioperine
        • Berberine
  • Cold-Exposure
    • Maybe a cold shower here and there but I frankly don't think pushing the limit on this is good for longevity. Just not necessary to go that far.
Above all else, I'd say controlling your thoughts is very important. Keeping a positive attitude regardless of circumstances.

intermitment fasting + jumping rope + cold showers.

For the sake of being healthy I would suggest not just finish but a full shower with a cold water. But there is a problem with it. It is cold. So, to not give too much of a damn about it I simply use the jump rope to get all hot and sweaty, and then go to the shower. Just try it, somehow that combo is the best in terms of how you feel afterwards.

And strength training. But that is a separate event.

I love IF. The other stuff you said sounds good too. I’d throw in to REALLY prioritize sleep and family/community. I talk to some people on a daily basis that make me laugh so hard that I want to cry and I feel like that will ultimately play a roll in the long run.

I do IF and have tons of coffee on a daily basis (except on sunday) and was reading about some products but I don't have any reviews about :
Q10
PQQ
Shilajit

Do anyone have some clues about those products?

Train with variety. Not overmuch, and not if your practice feels progressive, but do not be afraid to try new modes, approaches, etc. As I've aged I find it increasingly true that you get the adaptations you train for and stuff that doesn't get trained will atrophy. If you want to be capable of sprinting after a bad frisbee toss, you need to do some sprinting - basic strength won't cut it. Want to be capable of throwing fast hands at a heavy bag - ditto.

Basic strength will anchor other attributes but it won't provide them. Likewise, strength is very specific to the means used to acquire it, the best way to have good carryover is to try new things from time to time. Try a session of HIIT without ever using it and you'll feel like death. Go for a long run without ever working up to it - your feet will be burning and you'll feel like garbage. Esp as one ages, what you don't train gets left behind. You might get it back fairly quickly, but it doesn't stick around waiting to be used. Make a list of desired attributes and add them to the mix.

Diet: whatever works using mostly whole foods. I am 100% unconvinced that there is some underlying truth to timed meals, fasting schedules, huge macro imbalances etc. Variation in individual gut microbiome means what works for the next person might give you gas and constipation. Limit processed foods and find your way. Realize also that pretty much everything you eat is exposed to environmental insult specific to it and how it made it to your plate. Might be wishful thinking, but variety probably the best insurance against over accumulation or reaction of manufactured or harmful substances in your body. They're unavoidable in a general sense.

Cold shower/bath: IDK. I used to finish every post exercise shower with about 5 minutes full bore cold water. I don't think it had any effect except I could get dressed faster and not still be sweating due to residual heat from my workout. If you feel it to be a help - fire (soak) away.

Reduce stress, use care in day to day movements - for many years now I suffer more pulls and strains in my day to day than I have from all my sessions. Learn some form of breath relaxation/meditation - there is real benefit here that you can and will feel almost immediately.

Include some isometrics using movement patterns based on normal everyday movement if possible. This has been a recent revelation, but I now view most of my resistance training as the creation of strength and mass, and isometrics as more effective in learning to apply that strength. Most resistance trained movement patterns where you can insert yourself in line with gravity or the path of most resistance are not very applicable to day to day. Its the best way to make the hardware, but the software doesn't lend to flexibility in use. YMMV

I've done a fair amount of research/interviews on this subject. Mostly with Steve Maxwell and Ori Hofmekler.
  • Training
    • Proper Strength Training is key. Every modality works, but it's how you use that modality that matters. Avoiding movements that are risky or weights that are just simply not necessary.
    • Keeping your goals intrinsic. Focusing on perfect practice instead of number of reps.
    • Leave the bravado and ego somewhere else. After all strength training is what a human is supposed to do, nothing hardcore about it.
    • Plenty of walking, relaxed breathing and joint mobility.
  • Diet
    • I am a proponent of the Warrior Diet style of eating. The most important part is sustainability and consistency. Not getting too locked into a specific time frame. Being able to enjoy a piece of cake without losing your mind.
    • The main reason Intermittent Fasting works is calorie restriction, so I'd say every diet works provided it's sustainable and enjoyable.
  • Supplements
    • I take a page from Ori Hofmekler's stress response complex. All these are kind of iffy science but having spoken with Ori, I sorta understand it.
    • Supplements I take
      • Morning
        • Green Tea Extract
        • Probiotic
        • Salicin
        • Creatine
      • Nighttime
        • Resveratrol
        • MutiVitamin
        • Fish Oil
        • Turmeric/Curcumin w/bioperine
        • Berberine
  • Cold-Exposure
    • Maybe a cold shower here and there but I frankly don't think pushing the limit on this is good for longevity. Just not necessary to go that far.
Above all else, I'd say controlling your thoughts is very important. Keeping a positive attitude regardless of circumstances.
Thank you. Seems very good. I've also read Ori's books. I like the 7 principles of stress. If I understand it right, if your body feels that you are in a scarcity / dangerous situation, it will try to help you survive so you can live longer and reach a better period.
In the last youtube video Ori was looking tired, I hope he is fine.
Regarding the thoughts, I completely agree with you. Right now I'm settling on "stoicism" and reading Epictetus Handbook (finally some philosophy that I can understand).
Do you take or plan to take NMN?

intermitment fasting + jumping rope + cold showers.

For the sake of being healthy I would suggest not just finish but a full shower with a cold water. But there is a problem with it. It is cold. So, to not give too much of a damn about it I simply use the jump rope to get all hot and sweaty, and then go to the shower. Just try it, somehow that combo is the best in terms of how you feel afterwards.

And strength training. But that is a separate event.
Yes I also find that it is easier to train and after it go to the shower. I still start with warm and finish with cold. Best would be sauna and then cold....

I love IF. The other stuff you said sounds good too. I’d throw in to REALLY prioritize sleep and family/community. I talk to some people on a daily basis that make me laugh so hard that I want to cry and I feel like that will ultimately play a roll in the long run.
Oh yes! You are right I forget. I watched Joe Rogan with the "sleep doctor" Matthew Walker. He has some very strong arguments and it seems that a lot of our civilisation problems could be related to the lack of sleep. We lost a few hours in the recent decades.

I do IF and have tons of coffee on a daily basis (except on sunday) and was reading about some products but I don't have any reviews about :
Q10
PQQ
Shilajit

Do anyone have some clues about those products?
Me too I drink a lot of coffee, but I try to stop it after lunch. I do not have any clues about these products, maybe someone will.

Train with variety. Not overmuch, and not if your practice feels progressive, but do not be afraid to try new modes, approaches, etc. As I've aged I find it increasingly true that you get the adaptations you train for and stuff that doesn't get trained will atrophy. If you want to be capable of sprinting after a bad frisbee toss, you need to do some sprinting - basic strength won't cut it. Want to be capable of throwing fast hands at a heavy bag - ditto.

Basic strength will anchor other attributes but it won't provide them. Likewise, strength is very specific to the means used to acquire it, the best way to have good carryover is to try new things from time to time. Try a session of HIIT without ever using it and you'll feel like death. Go for a long run without ever working up to it - your feet will be burning and you'll feel like garbage. Esp as one ages, what you don't train gets left behind. You might get it back fairly quickly, but it doesn't stick around waiting to be used. Make a list of desired attributes and add them to the mix.

Diet: whatever works using mostly whole foods. I am 100% unconvinced that there is some underlying truth to timed meals, fasting schedules, huge macro imbalances etc. Variation in individual gut microbiome means what works for the next person might give you gas and constipation. Limit processed foods and find your way. Realize also that pretty much everything you eat is exposed to environmental insult specific to it and how it made it to your plate. Might be wishful thinking, but variety probably the best insurance against over accumulation or reaction of manufactured or harmful substances in your body. They're unavoidable in a general sense.

Cold shower/bath: IDK. I used to finish every post exercise shower with about 5 minutes full bore cold water. I don't think it had any effect except I could get dressed faster and not still be sweating due to residual heat from my workout. If you feel it to be a help - fire (soak) away.

Reduce stress, use care in day to day movements - for many years now I suffer more pulls and strains in my day to day than I have from all my sessions. Learn some form of breath relaxation/meditation - there is real benefit here that you can and will feel almost immediately.

Include some isometrics using movement patterns based on normal everyday movement if possible. This has been a recent revelation, but I now view most of my resistance training as the creation of strength and mass, and isometrics as more effective in learning to apply that strength. Most resistance trained movement patterns where you can insert yourself in line with gravity or the path of most resistance are not very applicable to day to day. Its the best way to make the hardware, but the software doesn't lend to flexibility in use. YMMV
Great advices thank you.
Regarding the thing that we loose if we do not train, I think Pavel said in Q&D that we lose speed first then strength. Training power movements could be a good think.
Really funny the thing about cold water :)
Are you doing a lot of isometrics? Do you use a particular device? Some say it is very good and that you "fire" much more muscle cells, so that could explain maybe your recent revelation.
Do you think Yoga is worth doing?

@AyBu you mentioned reading Ori's book; if you are a reader, go to Why We Sleep by Matt Walker next. Builds on everything he discusses on Rogan.

I totally get the different modalities that turn on the "anti aging pathway" and won't repeat things already posted... but I think adequate sleep, breathing, and stress management skills are far better longevity "hacks" than any pill you'll find.

I'd suggest doing anything that involves getting up and down off the floor. TGU, crawling, break falls, whatever. That's a good place to shuffle in some variety too, you're get-up/down training doesn't always have to be the same thing. I think that helps create a level of body awareness/control that helps you "feel" young, and also helps point you to what needs work/care.

Also, working on a physical skill. General consensus is that continuing to learn helps people maintain mental acuity as we age. I suspect that the same may be true of developing new neuro-muscular pathways. Learn a martial art, work on a free handstand, practice pitching a baseball... whatever.

Great advices thank you.
Regarding the thing that we loose if we do not train, I think Pavel said in Q&D that we lose speed first then strength. Training power movements could be a good think.
Really funny the thing about cold water :)
Are you doing a lot of isometrics? Do you use a particular device? Some say it is very good and that you "fire" much more muscle cells, so that could explain maybe your recent revelation.
Do you think Yoga is worth doing?

I cannot speak to yoga as I don't use it. But, stretching and mobility are important, so yoga cannot possibly be a hindrance. If time is tight and you have to choose between it and resistance or some other form of training, that's different.

Have used isometrics over the years off and on, recently (last two years) with a lot more thought and for whole body - just a doorframe, a stool, a length of canvas or an old top sheet. Has led to some interesting insights probably beyond the scope of this thread. Enough to say it has more value than I imagined (although is no replacement for other forms of strength training entirely!).

Anti-aging is basically exercise, and enough of it without it getting to be causing too many aches and pains and certainly not injuries!
It would need to build and maintain muscle mass (so not JUST walking, for example!) and heart strength.
Too many people when they get older and their muscles start to atrophy just accept it and wither. But some think "what if I build my muscles back up?" and their results are spectacular! I've seen guys in their 80s with 6 pack abs and things like that. My dad is nearly 80 and before COVID he was training about every day or two at the gym and could lift some things that I can't!
It would seem the trick is to not start too heavy, because you have to be careful not to make yourself too sore or get injured! So, you choose a low weight to start with and gradually build it up.
A doctor who lived to 93 said that anti-aging and longevity is two things: exercise and water. He told me that a lot of people don't know about the water part. If you don't drink a lot of water it's very hard on your body and you'll wither away younger.

Small habits that become routine I'm trusting have big cumulative effects long-term...

For example, last-thing-at-night and first-thing-in-the-morning rituals:
p.m. evening stroll, magnesium supplement/ZMA and probiotic with yogurt or kefir
a.m. glass of lukewarm water and ACV, morning walk, coffee
A good night's sleep then regular elimination gets every day off to a good start.

A game-changer for me this year has been daily "youth-restoring calisthenics" - Super Joints, Great Gama Protocol, and have just added Original Strength Resets into the mix. Pre- and post-training plus random 10 - 15-minute mini-sessions throughout the week must add up to an effortless 6 or so hours very-well invested...

Edit - forgot to mention this small habit for anyone lacking the ascetic-masochistic bent for fully immersing oneself into cold exposure:

Art deVany, eminence grise of the Paleo life way, recommends finishing a hot shower with several minutes of cold water applied to the lower legs - something to do with venous return I suppose, but this does actually feel good both at the time and afterwards [in Aussie-surfing parlance - a bit of spanner (as-in-wrench) -water without having your nuts get tightened]...

Last edited:
Great thread.

I haven’t posted much in the last year but I should probably weigh in since I am 71 and still plugging away.

A lot has been said about mobility, recovery and hydration and I want to share my experience regarding those three over the past year.

About a year ago I had virtually given up on my training because of poor recovery. No matter how much I scaled back my training I was always exhausted. My Garmin device was showing such disturbed sleep that I figured it was not working right. Only one thing kept me from complete inactivity and that was my daily Original Strength regimen including rolling and rocking. That kept me from stoving up completely.

During a routine doctor’s check-up I mentined my perpetual exhaustion and he suggested that I do a sleep study for sleep apnea. I thought that sounded absurd but I agreed to do it. The result showed that I had moderate sleep apnea that was in danger of damaging my heart function if not addressed.

So I started using a CPAP machine. What a pain in the derrièr. But I was committed to making it work and after a few months my sleep began to improve dramatically. This was reflected in my Garmin numbrs. Now I am getting an hour or more of deep sleep almost every night and at least 7 total hours of sleep. I have returned to my regular KB training. What a blessing!

About the hydration. A few weeks ago I started using a product called “Liquid IV”. I did this because I had read how geezers like me often don’t absorb water like we should. It’s too early to make any great pronouncements but I do feel better using the stuff.

I think the take-away for others might be to not forget about how sleep can become disturbed as you age. I still hate the hassle of the CPAP machine but you won’t catch me sleeping without it.

I hope this helps someone.

I'm trying to come up with some kind of lifestyle / program that I could do for years to stay healthy, looks not to bad on the beach and improve longevity.
Lift weights in two ways: high weights and low reps; moderate weight and reps moved explosively.
Walk (or jog) relaxedly
Eat well, be OK with being hungry sometimes

-S-

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom