all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anti-Aging: Q&D, IF, what else?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@AyBu you mentioned reading Ori's book; if you are a reader, go to Why We Sleep by Matt Walker next. Builds on everything he discusses on Rogan.
I'm reading it (around half of it). It is great, even scary sometimes... I stopped drinking caffeine, it's been a week now. I feel that I sleep better, maybe it's placebo.
Thanks

Anti-aging is basically exercise, and enough of it without it getting to be causing too many aches and pains and certainly not injuries!
It would need to build and maintain muscle mass (so not JUST walking, for example!) and heart strength.
Too many people when they get older and their muscles start to atrophy just accept it and wither. But some think "what if I build my muscles back up?" and their results are spectacular! I've seen guys in their 80s with 6 pack abs and things like that. My dad is nearly 80 and before COVID he was training about every day or two at the gym and could lift some things that I can't!
It would seem the trick is to not start too heavy, because you have to be careful not to make yourself too sore or get injured! So, you choose a low weight to start with and gradually build it up.
A doctor who lived to 93 said that anti-aging and longevity is two things: exercise and water. He told me that a lot of people don't know about the water part. If you don't drink a lot of water it's very hard on your body and you'll wither away younger.
Thank you. Good point about drinking a lot of water!
Lifting heavy seems also an important thing to do to build or keep muscle mass.

A game-changer for me this year has been daily "youth-restoring calisthenics" - Super Joints, Great Gama Protocol, and have just added Original Strength Resets into the mix. Pre- and post-training plus random 10 - 15-minute mini-sessions throughout the week must add up to an effortless 6 or so hours very-well invested...
Thank you it looks like an important thing to do. I rapidly checked the Super joints book and it looks like something that help a lot. Are you doing the Super Joints morning routine?

Great thread.

I haven’t posted much in the last year but I should probably weigh in since I am 71 and still plugging away.

A lot has been said about mobility, recovery and hydration and I want to share my experience regarding those three over the past year.

About a year ago I had virtually given up on my training because of poor recovery. No matter how much I scaled back my training I was always exhausted. My Garmin device was showing such disturbed sleep that I figured it was not working right. Only one thing kept me from complete inactivity and that was my daily Original Strength regimen including rolling and rocking. That kept me from stoving up completely.

During a routine doctor’s check-up I mentined my perpetual exhaustion and he suggested that I do a sleep study for sleep apnea. I thought that sounded absurd but I agreed to do it. The result showed that I had moderate sleep apnea that was in danger of damaging my heart function if not addressed.

So I started using a CPAP machine. What a pain in the derrièr. But I was committed to making it work and after a few months my sleep began to improve dramatically. This was reflected in my Garmin numbrs. Now I am getting an hour or more of deep sleep almost every night and at least 7 total hours of sleep. I have returned to my regular KB training. What a blessing!

About the hydration. A few weeks ago I started using a product called “Liquid IV”. I did this because I had read how geezers like me often don’t absorb water like we should. It’s too early to make any great pronouncements but I do feel better using the stuff.

I think the take-away for others might be to not forget about how sleep can become disturbed as you age. I still hate the hassle of the CPAP machine but you won’t catch me sleeping without it.

I hope this helps someone.
Hello Jim, thank you for sharing this important post. I'm very happy that you were able to fix this. That corroborate the importance of sleep.

Lift weights in two ways: high weights and low reps; moderate weight and reps moved explosively.
Walk (or jog) relaxedly
Eat well, be OK with being hungry sometimes

-S-
Nicely summarised thanks.
Looks like it is good to alternate or mix "Power to the People" (high weights/low reps) with Q&D / S&S (moderate weight / moved explosively)?

Thank you it looks like an important thing to do. I rapidly checked the Super joints book and it looks like something that help a lot. Are you doing the Super Joints morning routine?
I have a morning mobility routine that always starts with the Three Plane Neck Movements and The Egyptian from Super Joints.

Caffeine can be a problem for causing indigestion. This is not a problem everyone faces though.

Nicely summarised thanks.
Looks like it is good to alternate or mix "Power to the People" (high weights/low reps) with Q&D / S&S (moderate weight / moved explosively)?
Yes.

-S-

One major thing I recommend doing beyond many of those already mentioned (like prioritizing sleep, exercise, and clean eating) is to work with a functional medicine doctor to do all the necessary screens (a physical, prostate exam, colonoscopy, comprehensive metabolic panel + Cardio IQ lipid panel, carotid ultrasound, coronary artery calcium scan if needed, etc.). She/he can then customize an approach that's specific to you, with routine assessments/tests to gauge progress.

It's one of the best things I've done, and I'm pretty convinced it will pay the highest dividends vs. spending hundreds of dollars on supplements I don't even know are helping. I also see a holistic/integrative dentist for the same reason, and it was the first time I've actually had the bacteria in my mouth examined for specific treatment options.

Consider using a continuous glucose monitor, DNA analysis, an Oura ring or Whoop for sleep and activity, a home BP monitor, etc. for more tracking options for yourself and for your care team.

The hard data is just super important - of course, we're learning more every day, so it's important to find a forward-thinking, longevity-focused functional medicine or naturopathic doc who is up on the latest research and will adjust your plan as needed.

Consider using a continuous glucose monitor, DNA analysis, an Oura ring or Whoop for sleep and activity, a home BP monitor, etc. for more tracking options for yourself and for your care team.
That would stress me out to no end and defeat the purpose ? we’re all different I guess

That would stress me out to no end and defeat the purpose ? we’re all different I guess
Haha, I get that. I didn’t mean forever though, just long enough to see how your body reacts to different foods, alcohol, supplements, etc. I’ve found it super interesting to see what effects my sleep, blood sugar, etc. and what doesn’t.

In England at least, with many showers the coldest possible setting is actually around room temperature (giver or take - disclaimer didn't measure it). It can feel cold at first but most I think get used to it very rapidly (couple of weeks or so).

Connecting a shower head directly to the cold tap of a bathtub could be a different story...

I've got the Oura as well and for sleeping data is the best I believe... sadly it does not work as a continuous HR monitor or Temp monitor.

Lots of crazy good information in this thread.
The one thing I would add is to listen to Dr Peter Attia's podcast. He is one of the foremost longevity physicians.
Indeed if he keeps going that way he will arrive to 200 years!

+1 on Dr. Peter Attia's podcast, it's the best one out there. If you become a member, the show notes are incredibly comprehensive with hundreds of links from every episode.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom