all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Anti-glycolytic Push-up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi, StrongFirst family!
I'm working on increasing my Push-up RM, which would be endurance, and the best method I think could work is AGT. I read some articles regarding this type of training, and I think got the idea how it works, quick powerful burs that lasts 5-30 seconds, then rest appropriately to recover ATP. Repeat multiple times.

Q 1: How to apply this approach to Push-up?
Bodyweight regular Push-up seems insufficient in this case, unless Power Push-up are considered. If so, how many should be performed?

Q 2: How long such session should last?
Let's say I chose Power Push-up, should I work for 100 total rep, as it recommended, or can I go longer?

Q 3: Weighted Push-up as an alternative?
Could weighted Push-up be an alternative to Power version with appropriate weight?

Q 3: How many times a week AGT can be performed?

The standards:
1. 40RM
2. Have to perform at least 316 reps per day.

Thx for your answers in advance.

Mike.

Did you consider other methods for increasing your pushup endurance? The one described in Naked warrior (at the end of the book, if I am correct) is to determine how many reps you can do, and then do half of that number during day, GTG style.
Another one is to perform super-slow reps, as described in "Should you train your slow twitch fibers?" articles on SF site.
If you are 100% sure you want to go AGT, then:
Q 1: How to apply this approach to Push-up?
Regular pushup are indeed suboptimal for this. I can't give you exact numbers for power pushups, but perhaps as many, as you can do in 5-15 seconds? Depending on how fast you can deplete ATP... I believe Pavel provides exact guidelines in Q&D, which I have not read yet. But I am going to fix this.
Q 2: How long such session should last?
100 total reps is too little in my opinion. 100 power pushups in 5 or 10 minutes EMOM won't build serious endurance. I'd recommend doing 150 and more and cycling the volume from session to session. But it's up to you to find your exact number.
Q 3: Weighted Push-up as an alternative?
One requirement of a good AGT exercise is that it's easy to set up. Do you have weighted vest? Or somebody who will put plates on your back? If you want to train this in a more strength-oriented way. try to pick up something from between regular pushup and one arm pushup.

The forum site (or my ISP) is misbehaving and I lost last part of my answer. So here it is.
Q 3: How many times a week AGT can be performed?
Two is safe. If you cycle sessions properly (heavy-light-medium), then you perhaps can go up to 5? You can even try controlled overtraining if you dare. Many dare, but it often turns into uncontrolled overtraining and stupid injury :D

@jozko
Did you consider other methods for increasing your pushup endurance? The one described in Naked warrior (at the end of the book, if I am correct) is to determine how many reps you can do, and then do half of that number during day, GTG style.
Another one is to perform super-slow reps, as described in "Should you train your slow twitch fibers?"
Yes I did. I was thinking about doing Power Push-ups in the morning, then GTG for the remaining part of a day until daily goal is met. I'm varying the daily number with Delta 20 principle. As far as super-slow reps are concerned, well, I did not think about it.
as many, as you can do in 5-15 seconds?
Most of the time when I do them I do 10 reps in 10 seconds.
100 total reps is too little in my opinion. 100 power pushups in 5 or 10 minutes EMOM won't build serious endurance. I'd recommend doing 150 and more and cycling the volume from session to session
I think that too, thus I will try to hit as many sets as possible while staying fresh, and with good for. For instance, today I did 15 sets resting 90 seconds between them.
Do you have weighted vest? Or somebody who will put plates on your back? If you want to train this in a more strength-oriented way. try to pick up something from between regular pushup and one arm pushup
Yes I have. The weight can be adjusted from 6 to 10 kg. Also consider OAPU.
Two is safe. If you cycle sessions properly (heavy-light-medium), then you perhaps can go up to 5?
I thought that 2-3 would be optimal. I do Push-ups every day, the total number are vary, from 316 to 700. So far, after 70 straight days there were no injuries or any issues.

@mikhael because it discusses the pushup and ATG training, may I ask if you’ve read Q&D? I don’t think it addresses your questions specifically but it would be good background reading.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom