all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anti Glycolytic Training for Combat Sports

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone used Anti Glycolytic protocols for Mma/boxing. My brother is fighting in a White Collar MMA event. He's been training for 4 months but he seems to be overtrained. On top of sparring he's doing 100's of burpees and general smoker drills. He's dropping weight as he then walks 12 miles a day as a postman. He seems fried. I mentioned giving him a hand over the next few weeks as I was talking to him about SF and anti G protocols.

Last edited:
*I have never trained any fighter. Ever.* <---- important point

I would ASSUME that the protocols you suggest would be highly beneficial. Depending on the intensity of sparring, that would likely cover much of the conditioning needed. Rounds are highly glycolytic in nature. Save the competition for competition.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-MMA-Conditioning-Joel-Jamieson/dp/B007THMNXY

An expensive book, but I'd say it's worth the cost. It was to me, and I don't have any intention of fighting. He just has a great ability to explain the different types of "conditioning" in your training and how to get the adaptations you want.

One of his main points is that you can't get very far with any conditioning without a well developed aerobic base, because this is what carries you through a fight. The aerobic base is developed over time with lots LOW intensity cardio.

Great.. I 'll look at that. My brother has boxed before but he is over compensating for pre fight anxiety by training at every opportunity and that's normally "traditional conditioning" high rep body weight stuff. I'll check out those links.

If he's doing MMA training, to include sparring/rolling, and walking 10-12 miles a day with a mailbag he should be just fine. All the extra junk is harming, not helping. If he wants something else he be better served with S&S with a slightly smaller bell.

One of his main points is that you can't get very far with any conditioning without a well developed aerobic base, because this is what carries you through a fight. The aerobic base is developed over time with lots LOW intensity cardio.
+1
In my opinion this concept cannot be overstated enough...

It's an area I'm interested in. Have coached a few young boxers but MMA is different. He has no real background in KB but I think an S/S type programme along with maybe pull up and deadlift would be effective. I remember reading an article by M Perry and he seems to advocate this type of approach.
He probably needs more rest now given his job, he's training 6 days a week. Thanks for the feedback folks

I would think he needs more rest. A 12 mile hike/day is going to do a lot for his conditioning but also make it harder to recuperate if he's overdoing it. While undertraining is no good, training harder/longer cannot guarantee victory. Overtraining to some extent is common, but tough to prevent.

Limited strength work at 3-6 rep max and lots of mat/ring time. With exception of swings, I would limit the higher volume or eliminate it entirely and replace it with isometrics for speed.

I cannot imagine any need to add burpees and other metabolic smoking drills on top of jumping rope for rounds or just hitting the mits/pads and ground work.

Also, including some meditation practice might be priceless.

Disclaimer - I have never competed in the ring aside from boxing matches on my street as a kid and wrestling in HS. But I have friends that have, some I helped prepare (though I was NOT "training" them) and have attended a few amateur bouts where I took a lot of notes. On average, the biggest killer winds up being loss of focus or awareness and inability to execute with good timing, rather than a collapse of conditioning.

@North Coast Miller I totally agree with the meditation element. I have him using the headspace app and its a game changer. I think the difficulty is that there are different coaches coming in doing their own thing and the cumulative effect is he is training hard all the time and not taking enough rest.
I boxed in a competitive bout a few years ago and I trained incessantly but if was to do it again I would spend much more time drilling and sparring. It's a lurking fear that you will gass out but you are right energy leakage, poor breathing patterns are as much to blame. Sparring is key although KB's have a lot to offer in this area.

I trained for a boxing match a couple summers ago. I got with my coach and he wanted my input for training. I presented what I thought was the greatest plan for S&C ever. He asked where I would find the time to train. I told him Id be fine. He let me run with it and after about the 3rd day I tucked my tail between my legs and admitted I was wrong. Nothing prepares you for a combat sport better than training your sport. The best conditioning for BJJ is more rolling. For boxing, more pad drills, foot work and LSD cardio. This is just my opinion. The off season is for gains. Pre-fight is for fight prep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom