all posts post new thread

Nutrition Anti stress foods

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

We all know too much stress isn't good. So I am wondering if there are certain foods we could eat that would help lower stress. An example of my stress is I just worked a twelve hour shift, commuted almost two hours home, got home just after eight and the boss calls at just before noon wondering if i could come in tonight again? Of course I said yes. He said he'll pay me overtime from when I leave my house till I get home again. But there is a major lack of sleep and obvious stress

If it’s a single situation, any carbs and calorie surplus will help you relax a bit and reduce cortisol.

Long term it’s tricky. Resilient healthy stable diet that works for you is the general answer. Fasting makes you more stress resilient, but only as a long term strategy that is planned well to you schedule, avoid it on most demanding days or two often.

Hello,

First, to reduce stress and anxiety, I'd use breathing technique:
- Box breathing (4s inhale, 4s hold, 4s exhale, 4s hold)
- 478 (4s inhale, 7s hold, 8s exhale)

Regarding the original post, I notice I manage better stress when I chew longer, with closed eyes, and deep nasal breathing. Basically, I focus on what I feel in my mouth (texture, taste, etc...)

Otherwise, considering food per se, I enjoy eating a banana (with long chew, close eyes, etc...) before sleep if necessary. Usually, in kind of "slow carb" would likely get the job done.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I find my food most pleasant and most anti-stress when I pay attention to my food when I am eating and am not multi-tasking. No looking at my phone, no reading, no work, no watching movies/TV. The only exception to this no multi-tasking while eating rule is that I allow myself to have conversations if I am eating with someone.

That stress food choice. Difficult isn't it? An issue for many, eating too much due to stress. And eating carby, fatty, salty foods is the best way, for many, to alleviate that stress. Perfect comfort food. Well, whatever your comfort food is, really. Carby, fatty and salty is good for me but comfort foods vary.
Over many weeks, months and years, the inevitable consequences cause greater stress. And expanding that out, the desire to eat such a way is due to stress for many, many people, given our lifestyles and the need to earn a crust.

Just stuff your face. Enjoy it. Manage the short term stress, chill out when it passes and don't worry about it. That's what I do. Bit weird, I know. Get back to less carby, less fatty, less salty tomorrow.

Foods for Stress Relief:

Avocado and Banana
Tea
Swiss Chard
Fatty Fish
Whole-Wheat Pretzels

all these foods to erase frustration, but you can get some stress relief by exercising and including more of these foods in your diet.

I used to work in 12 hour shifts for 14 years. No, there's no food against stress. A lot of rest, fresh air (breathing is a good advice here), quality sleep, amap good emotions. Make your everything enjoyable - nice served table for the meal, clean car, good music. Everything should project positiveness. A glass of good red wine with your steak after the shift will do some job though ;-)

Personally there are foods that make me feel fresh, like Kefir, cucumber or melons.

And then there are foods that make me tired, like cakes and sometimes meats. And potatoes and salads make me feel good.

So there is definitely a difference with regards to energy levels and, as Dilbert author Scott Adams points out, that is probably the most important personal "metric" to keep an eye on.

However, it is somewhat individual and context dependent.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom