all posts post new thread

Nutrition Any former skinny fat guys out there

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm currently on this journey as well, I seem to have lost about 6-8lb in the 5 weeks I've been tracking. I think my food intake is good, I'm not feeling weak but have been progressively losing weight each week. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, as I'm currently working in the 24k from 20k, so I'll keep in mind the need for more calories if I start to notice recovery stall.

5 weeks ago I was 167lb, and this tuesday(weigh day) I was about 161lb, but I also weighed this weekend and showed to be 159. I expect come Tuesday I'll be showing 160lb. Right now, "weight loss" is about the only marker I can use, but I'm fine with my weight staying the same if I can lose some fat around my midsection.

Seconding what @Chrisdavisjr said about Huel, I usually do 1 Huel(2 scoops) with 1 scoop of Protein powder for 500kcal and 50g protein around the afternoon, and then a meal for dinner, and maybe something small a little later depending on how hungry I feel. It keeps me full, and is incredibly convenient. Depending on the day, I will sometimes skip that and have my first meal around 4:30. I'm always really serious about sleep, so my sleep seems mostly on point. So far I'm consistently close to 1lb a week, so that's pretty nice. I expect to go 10 more weeks doing what I've been doing(and this seems to be the timeline for fully integrating the 24k), but I'm tracking food intake to see if I stall or go the other direction. Time will tell.

I'm currently on this journey as well, I seem to have lost about 6-8lb in the 5 weeks I've been tracking. I think my food intake is good, I'm not feeling weak but have been progressively losing weight each week. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, as I'm currently working in the 24k from 20k, so I'll keep in mind the need for more calories if I start to notice recovery stall.

5 weeks ago I was 167lb, and this tuesday(weigh day) I was about 161lb, but I also weighed this weekend and showed to be 159. I expect come Tuesday I'll be showing 160lb. Right now, "weight loss" is about the only marker I can use, but I'm fine with my weight staying the same if I can lose some fat around my midsection.

Seconding what @Chrisdavisjr said about Huel, I usually do 1 Huel(2 scoops) with 1 scoop of Protein powder for 500kcal and 50g protein around the afternoon, and then a meal for dinner, and maybe something small a little later depending on how hungry I feel. It keeps me full, and is incredibly convenient. Depending on the day, I will sometimes skip that and have my first meal around 4:30. I'm always really serious about sleep, so my sleep seems mostly on point. So far I'm consistently close to 1lb a week, so that's pretty nice. I expect to go 10 more weeks doing what I've been doing(and this seems to be the timeline for fully integrating the 24k), but I'm tracking food intake to see if I stall or go the other direction. Time will tell.
Keep me updated for sure. About the scale though. It’s just a number. I looked significantly better going from 185-180 than from 210- 195. When you’re doing strength training and (hopefully) adding muscle it’s hard to really gauge. That being said. I still check in once every week or two just to see where the numbers are hitting. I think my training and diet are getting to the point where if I’m getting stronger I might not be losing weight. But I did drop a pants size from 34-32 so it’ll be interesting to see if the 32 starts to feel loose.
Good job on the 24 by the way. It’s serving me well. I only ordered the 32k because I was afraid it might not be in stock when I’m ready to swing it. I’m really curious how it’s going to feel but I feel like I still have work to do on my form consistency before I start adding any weight. I can use it to make sure the door doesn’t hit my other kettlebells In the meantime

A few things if I may (used to hover above 20% bodyfat after some not so good choices and less than optimal work mixed together)

Focus on getting strong and choosing movements that will put on muscle.

You'll definitely have to play the long game and the smartest approach you can take is to incrementally lower your bodyfat and alter it with strength cycles..

Once you've gotten lean enough (probably between 12-15%)then you can do a bulk phase to add some more muscle

Thanks. I definitely think I could stand to eat another 1/2lb of ribeye a day and still do fine. It’s just so hard to eat that much sometimes. That’s 1 1/2-2lb a day. And that would put me at probably 1500kcal or so. It’s a joke to me that people eat steak as like a “treat”. Haha. It’s just the grind for me these days. God bless my wife for being so understand with this.
Well, it appears you dont enjoy a keto diet that much. You can't even reach the calories you should be eating! If you want to continue losing weight with no regard to performance and muscle, you can keep eating the way you are for a total of 1200 calories, but that doesn't seem to be your plan.

I dont want to mess with your keto diet, that has given you good weight loss results, but if you add some veggies to your meat dishes that would easily add the 600 calories per day you are needing, for a proven "meat and veggies" diet.

Alternatively, if you want to remain keto, you could try to add some fat? Maybe eat some avocados with olive oil? Or meat with more fat? That should be easier than adding one pound of lean meat every day.

I think my BMR is something like 2300kcal.

BMR

What leads your believe that youf BMR is 2300 kcals?

Are you using one of the online BMR Calculators?

If so, you need to realizes that BMR Calculators are incredibly inaccurate.

A more practical method is a...

Three Day Recall

1) Count your caloric intake for three days.

2) One of those days need to be a weekend or a day when you aren't working.

That because your eating plan usually changes.

3) Total you Three Day Calorie Intake and divide by three (3). This will provide you with your average daily calorie intake.

4) If you gaining weight, you are in a calorie surplus.

5) If you are losing weight, you are in a caloric deficit.

6) If you weight remains the same, this is your BMR.

Metabolic Rate

As you know, at some point your body will adjust to a lower calorie diet (The General Adaptation Syndrome).

That in part due to your loss in body mass; your BMR decreases.

Also, once your body has adapted to your new lower calorie intake, weight loss stops.

Jump Starting Your Weight Loss

a) Decreasing your calorie intake even more will get you back on track.

However, that is contraindicated if your calorie intake is already pretty low.

b) A more effective method is to rotate your calorie intake.

(I’m open to adjusting caloric intake) is there any other tools that I can put in my kit to help tone up these love handles/chub/optimize recovery and muscle gain?

MATADOR Weight Loss Study

This is one of the "tools' that will get you to your destination,

Research from this study addresses how to override your body's adapting to lower calorie intake, where weight loss stops.

It determined that the body learn and adapts in approximately two (2) weeks; you're metabolic rate decreases.

When that occurs, you then increase your caloric intake approximately 20% for two (2) weeks. You will likely gain a little weight back.

After that two (2) week period, decrease you calorie intake about 20%. In doing so, you will lose the weight you gained plus more.

Research from this study demonstrated that fat loss occurred while preserving muscle mass occurred.

Research by Dr John Ivy and Layne Norton (independent of each other) came to the same conclusion regarding cutting calories for weight loss. Ivy and Norton found that a 20% reduction in calorie intake preserved muscle mass while decreasing body fat.

Bodybuilding Bulking and Cutting

The MATADOR weight loss method simply supports the protocol Bodybuilder have used for decades to increase muscle mass and then cut body fat.

One of the issues that many Bodybuilders have is that with Bulking they dramatically increase their calorie intake. Doing so increases muscle mass as well as dramatically increasing body fat.

In Cutting, many Bodybuilders end up dramatically decreasing calorie intake. In doing so, they dramatically decreases muscle mass along with body fat.

With that said, a better outcome occurs if you decrease you calorie intake around 20% for losing weight and increase your calorie intake around 20% for gaining weight.

Yo-Yo Dieting

This term is usually related to individual who go on a very low calorie diet. They hit the wall. They up and then go back to their higher calorie diet

In doing so, they gain the weight back, plus even more weight.

The MATADOR Weight Loss Program utilized same Yo-Yo Diet principle for weight loss in a constructive way. Instead of Yo-Yoing your weight up, you Yo-Yo it down; providing you follow the protocol.

I am curious it’s even possible for me to get LEAN again after gaining like 50lbs for 2-3 years.[/QUOTE

Absolutely

As offwidth and Solid Brawn stated, it take time.

My son got up to 220 lbs years ago at 5'8".

He's now around 165 lbs.

Last edited:
BMR

What leads your believe that youf BMR is 2300 kcals?

Are you using one of the online BMR Calculators?

If so, you need to realizes that BMR Calculators are incredibly inaccurate.

A more practical method is a...

Three Day Recall

1) Count your caloric intake for three days.

2) One of those days need to be a weekend or a day when you aren't working.

That because your eating plan usually changes.

3) Total you Three Day Calorie Intake and divide by three (3). This will provide you with your average daily calorie intake.

4) If you gaining weight, you are in a calorie surplus.

5) If you are losing weight, you are in a caloric deficit.

6) If you weight remains the same, this is your BMR.

Metabolic Rate

As you know, at some point your body will adjust to a lower calorie diet (The General Adaptation Syndrome).

That in part due to your loss in body mass; your BMR decreases.

Also, once your body has adapted to your new lower calorie intake, weight loss stops.

Jump Starting Your Weight Loss

a) Decreasing your calorie intake even more will get you back on track.

However, that is contraindicated if your calorie intake is already pretty low.

b) A more effective method is to rotate your calorie intake.

MATADOR Weight Loss Study

This is one of the "tools' that will get you to your destination,

Research from this study addresses how to override your body's adapting to lower calorie intake, where weight loss stops.

It determined that the body learn and adapts in approximately two (2) weeks; you're metabolic rate decreases.

When that occurs, you then increase your caloric intake approximately 20% for two (2) weeks. You will likely gain a little weight back.

After that two (2) week period, decrease you calorie intake about 20%. In doing so, you will lose the weight you gained plus more.

Research from this study demonstrated that fat loss occurred while preserving muscle mass occurred.

Research by Dr John Ivy and Layne Norton (independent of each other) came to the same conclusion regarding cutting calories for weight loss. Ivy and Norton found that a 20% reduction in calorie intake preserved muscle mass while decreasing body fat.

Bodybuilding Bulking and Cutting

The MATADOR weight loss method simply supports the protocol Bodybuilder have used for decades to increase muscle mass and then cut body fat.

One of the issues that many Bodybuilders have is that with Bulking they dramatically increase their calorie intake. Doing so increases muscle mass as well as dramatically increasing body fat.

In Cutting, many Bodybuilders end up dramatically decreasing calorie intake. In doing so, they dramatically decreases muscle mass along with body fat.

With that said, a better outcome occurs if you decrease you calorie intake around 20% for losing weight and increase your calorie intake around 20% for gaining weight.

Yo-Yo Dieting

This term is usually related to individual who go on a very low calorie diet. They hit the wall. They up and then go back to their higher calorie diet

In doing so, they gain the weight back, plus even more weight.

The MATADOR Weight Loss Program utilized same Yo-Yo Diet principle for weight loss in a constructive way. Instead of Yo-Yoing your weight up, you Yo-Yo it down; providing you follow the protocol.
I can say for sure that most days I get 1200 cal from a ribeye, and about 100/ea from however many eggs I eat. Say I eat 4 eggs that’d put me around 1800 I guess. Still losing weight.

I felt like a king for about two weeks. Now it’s just something I gotta do and borderline unenjoyable.
Even though your intake in total calories is fairly low, you could try waving your intake, similar to how it is wise to wave exercise volume/intensity/pace etc. You do not need to match a low/no cal day ( water, coffee, sea salt ) with a low volume training day, and the same in reverse.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom