all posts post new thread

Old Forum Any good strenght gains from you guys with KB Strong?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It's here.  Time to get to work.  I'm looking forward to buying heavier KBs.

Thanks, Geoff!

Jon

I couldn't take all the conversation. Just purchased the program and cannot wait. I have improved my thoracic mobility, and healed both of my shoulders in a way that I never thought was possible. I have gotten so much from the ROP program and I am eager to learn the secrets of the double kettlebell.

Thanks for all the shares, and congratulations to all of you on your success and progress. I am inspired and look forward to sharing a story sooner than later.

Charlton,

I just finished the first DVD - you won't be disappointed.  There's a ton of information - I'm just trying to figure out my best plan of attack for the next few months as I'm getting married Oct. 1.

Right now I plan on practicing the movements for a few weeks, as suggested.

Jon

Damn you guys. Now I went ahead and order it. You had me at best doubles guide... geez...

Now I'm gonna sit and wait for it to be shipped to sweden...

You won't be sorry!

I did a 10 x 1  Clean and Press sets with the double 24kg and it has me sore in all the right places.

Front Squats with 2x24kg is no joke either.

I can't really talk about strength gains yet, but certainly can talk about the cues and how they make my LCCJ light. I just got a pair of 16kg comp bells and did three ladders ROTK style (2,4,6,8,10) with them. I also did 5 min. straight with them (want to get 10 min.) Really feel confident and strong. The lessons on the clean are really invaluable, as it sets the rest of your lift up properly. I seriously need to get heavier bells (already), as the 16s feel like toys.

To those that have finished the program, and Geoff, I have roughly 12 weeks until my wedding in the Caribbean.  I'm currently around 11% BF (just lost around 12 pounds). I would like to get to single digit  BF as well as gain/preserve lean mass.

So, my question is, how would you schedule your 12 weeks?  The Strong program will take about 8 of those.  Should I proceed right to the Short Course or hop over to something like Extreme for the last month?

Thanks,
Jon

Extreme is INCREDIBLE!!!  (You can read on other posts about my experience with it.  Geoff uses numbers from my testimonial in his emails all the time)  Whatever you do make sure your diet is dialed in.  I've done extreme a few times and the best results were when I was watching my eating like a hawk.

If you want to do the short course (eat right, I got HUNGRY and ate everything in sight) you can jump right in.  It takes 4 weeks and you'll be able to hit the presses in Extreme with a heavier pair of bells.  Get tolerable (not exactly comfortable) doing sets of 3 front squats in good form with your press bell and you'll get great results from Extreme.

I'd go:  Short course -> Week off/Evaluate for goal -> Extreme -> Complexes from MKM or something from Ultra

Jon - Connor has some great suggestions. (And yeah, he KILLED it on "EXTREME!.")

Of course, the answer really depends on what size bells you have and your current capabilities.

Whatever you choose, I would put "EXTREME!" in there. The cool thing about that is you could actually train right up until your wedding day (ok, probably a couple of days before) then relax in on your honeymoon with some bodyweight training and still keep getting leaner.

Or you could finish it the week before your wedding and do a week of MKM work or even bodyweight work - just something that seriously contrasts what you just did and "peak" in time for your wedding day.

Just some thoughts....

Connor/Geoff,

Thanks so much for your insight.   EXTREME will be in the mix... I'll figure out just when in a few weeks when I re-assess.

As for my diet being dialed in, it's been working a bit too well!  I'm doing the Ultimate Fat Loss Blueprint right now.  I started with a strict slow carb diet then naturally transitioned back to IF followed by UFLB - this feels very natural to me and has been going great. I feel I'm dropping too much weight so I'm going to add some post-workout carbs. After that, I may fast from dinner to dinner instead of the full 38/39 hours or so I'm doing now.  Any thoughts on this?  I hope I didn't take this thread too far off track.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all the input and ideas.

Jon

I am doing the "split" Strong/One program. Just did the first ONE workout. Holy crap. The progression looks smooth but 15 seconds of double 24kg's for reps was a killer workout. I can only imagine how strong I will be in Aug when I hit the 45 seconds work. :)

Reading this thread has really inspired me to order this book and DVD but I've only just started the ROP with a 16kg so quite a way before I can attempt this workout. Tempted to get my copy now though in case it's not available when I get to it.

@Faisal.

It is a great reference book and video. The insight on the video is amazing. It is almost as good as being with an SFG in person.

"I feel I’m dropping too much weight so I’m going to add some post-workout carbs. After that, I may fast from dinner to dinner instead of the full 38/39 hours or so I’m doing now.  Any thoughts on this?"

Since this post I added PW oatmeal and modified the fast day from dinner to dinner.  I dropped another 2lbs, noticeably leaner (around 10% or slightly less while getting stronger).  To maintain this weight and possibly add a little muscle, would you a) add more carbs post-training or b) drop the fast day entirely.

Thanks,
Jon

Okay I have been on the Strong/One split for about 3 weeks now.

Today I did a heavy bag workout and I beat that thing like it owed me money.

I may have to send Geoff a bill for a new heavy bag....

I'd love to try that if I'm by a heavy bag in the near future.  I'm doing the aforementioned split right now using 28kg's in my clean and press.  I simply feel like a monster now.  I'm more of an athlete than I was during my entire high school swim team career.

Kettlebell Strong has continued to be good to me.  I started it around late February.  First time through I completed strong (phase 1) then followed it up with the short course, I used double 88s for both. When I tested my military press max I pressed double beast for 6 reps.  I restarted KB Strong and did phase 1 again but this time went through with double 106s.  I tested again and got 7 reps.  The truth is I feel like I may have had 8 reps but didnt feel 100% confident in getting it so I just took 7.  After ending this I did feel a little tired and sore, so I have taken the last week and half off and plan on starting phase 2(slow and steady) this week.   Great program.

Has anyone tried to use the STRONG program to progress to heavier bells?  If one starts with 24s with the goal of eventually moving to the 32s, rather than moving to hypertrophy and then to conditioning with the 24s, would it be reasonable to expect to progress to 32s after a certain amount of time on the program?  After the strength phase?  After the hypertrophy phase?

I bought the book and DVDs, but I did not see any discussion of how to progress the weight, which seems a little odd for a program called "STRONG".

So far I am only practicing the first few drills, and I am very impressed with the materials.  Well worth the cost to me, even if I never use the programs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom