all posts post new thread

Old Forum Any good strenght gains from you guys with KB Strong?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
And suddenly double front squats are easier.

Double swings folks.  Double swings.  The squats used to be my weakest link but I have a new found confidence in them now.  I'm calling the One/Strong hybrid program "Badass Protocol" for reasons you'll understand very quickly if you do it.  I haven't even touched the lifts near the last half of the progression and I'm already making enormous strides.  The basics drilled to perfection will make a master out of you.

Yeah @Conner Peterson that is where I am at too!

I bought this to help me with my Longcycle and I am sure it will eventually but I am enjoying the journey on the Strong/One Program with my 24kg's right now.

I also wonder how to progress from here. If I can get 8 reps with the 24kg's on test day is time to move onto the 32's ? (I only have 16's,24's,32 right now)

I am still burning the waist down and have lost more inches. I may be able to pass the ROP easier later on as my BW will drop down that I can use a 40-44kg instead of the 48kg!

Awesome.

I worked imagine that mileage may vary for everyone. That being said, once you complete the STRONG program take a day and test your single presses and see if you improved.

My press went up once I did the short course for sure.

@Matt604  I'm rocking a heavier set of bells on it now that I've done the short course.  It's based on a weight you can lift for 5 hard yet solid reps.  If you can get that with half/a whole bell size up, you can do the program with the new weight.  Both times I've done this the newer size starts to feel how the previous size used to.

Geoff,

What do you consider to be the prerequisites to begin the KM program?

@mike moran & connor peterson, hearing about your success on " strong/one" hybrid program makes me excited to start it.  I think my plan is to begin it after I go through the "slow& steady" phase.

@matt604, I feel the answer is yes. If you complete  the "strong" program with a given set of bells, and then complete either the "short course" or " slow steady" course with the same set of bells I would be  very surprised if after this you were not able to clean & press a heavier set of bells fairly easy.

A few thoughts/suggestions I would have are the following. Maybe Geoff can chime in as well.

1. During the "Strong" phase take your time between your sets. Do not be in a hurry or anxious to get to the next set. This is the Phase that I think some of your best practice should happen.

2. If your goal is to press a heavier set of bells, don't let other stuff get in the way. It has been my experience that a lot of people, including myself, over estimate what all can be done without interfering with the main goal at hand.  If one doesn't go through the program at least once  with out throwing in a bunch of other stuff it can be hard to tell what gains you might have had if you would have kept things pure.

Just my two cents..good luck.

@Jeffrey Tabb

I believe the byline is to have at least 1 year experience with singles. The material is very detailed and very easy to learn the cues. Amazing video instruction full of the "nuggets" that will make your technique better.

Geoff Neupert and anyone else who has ideas,

I am running the "Strong" program right now 3 days per week and after that I plan to run the 2 day a week "Short Course" with 2 day a week "One" program.

The real goal of this to build the strength and conditioning to do Kettlebell Muscle with as heavy of KBs as possible.  I am very good with my form on double KB cleans, presses, and front squats, but I need work on my double high pulls and snatches.   I do not want to add to the program and mess things up, but is there a way work in some practice for these lifts?  If so how much and where?

@ Ben Bogard.

You could do the "ONE" with just that. High Pulls.

I would maybe between programs do a variety week or 2 where you just "practice" High Pulls with some lighter bells. Like he has TIM do in the video.

That is what I take from the material. Geoff or someone may have much better ideas.

@Ben - Sure, you could swap out the Swings for High Pulls in the "One" program. You could also just play a little with the lifts as a warm up on the "One" program. Or even play a little on your off days. The key point to remember is that "play" means staying away from anything remotely heavy or tiring. Think "variety day" in the RoP.

@Jeffrey - I'd make sure I was VERY comfortable with a single bell before starting with doubles. Many people use the Rite of Passage from "Enter the Kettlebell" as the marker. I think that's a good idea, although not absolutely necessary.

@Matt604 - I'd take it through the "Short Course" before going with the next size KBs. You want to build some volume up. When you look at the numbers required to complete that portion, and, once you've actually done it, you'll know whether you're ready for a bigger set of bells.

Already at workout 23 of the Slow and Steady, been adding some "play" to it but nothing too exhausting.. I'm slowly seeing strength gains..

Just remember guys, this program is cumulative so be patient with it.. I guarantee you'll love the results

Just got my copy. Mind is blown. DVD is by far the best kettlebell material I have seen. The programs seems so simple, logical so they probably work wonders.

Amazing work Geoff, I understood things I have'nt before.

@Rickard

Yup. The first thing I did was look at the "programs" and I thought. Wow. So simple it has to work. Then I watched the videos and I was floored.

I'm a tad bummed I didn't get the DVD's but just the manual now.  (The backend upselling from MKM worked or else I probably wouldn't have ever studied this stuff)

I started over with 28kg bells on "One" seeing that strength is the first priority for SFG prep and swinging 24's for just a few sessions did amazing things for me.  Amazing that I could handle 15:45 no problem. The heat of the sun was the worst factor in all of it.

I'll be doing 20:40 tomorrow.
You know you're becoming seasoned when you can train HARD and feel relatively fresh later on the same day.

Geoff and Guys who have  done KB Strong,

Have you guys seen good carry over from Double KB Presses to your 1A Press?

@Ben Bogard

Have not tested myself. I am using 2x24kg right now and hope that it will help me to press the 32kg in a one arm press later.

In my own protocols for the Philly Cert I've been adding in the ONE program for some Swing Volume to build up strength for the cert weekend. I've done the ONE previously with 20's and loved the feel of moving the 24s easily.

Tonight I restart the ONE with the 28's for my Swings sessions. Programs like this have really prepped me mentally just as much as physically for things like the Snatch test and I love the feeling of completing each session and finishing strong on that last rep.

Good job Mike!  Nail that cycle to the wall and you'll rock the SFG.  I certified today and finished the snatch test around 4:40 having never passed it in training.  I also set the bell down twice, but not out of necessity.  Grip was the last thing on my mind and I was able to recover quickly with a few deep breaths.  Get some good front squat practice in and you've got a VERY good program for SFG prep.  The weekend beats you up HARD in a hurry but it sounds like you're definitely on the right track.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom