Any older guys on easy strength?

Discussion in 'Barbell' started by 01tj, May 9, 2019.

1. 01tj

01tj Still New to StrongFirst Forum

The traditional deadlift has always felt more like a squat variation than an hinge to me but I know it's more of a hinge. I suck at overhead squats though so Im thinking of putting those in instead.

vegpedlr likes this.
  2. vegpedlr

vegpedlr More than 500 posts

OH squats make for an interesting variation. If you go this route, check back with updates.

3. GeoffreyLevens

GeoffreyLevens More than 500 posts

Seems to me it depends on how you set up. I've doing cleanse which really start with low hips, very squatty deadlift. But I also do Romanian DL's and start by regular DL from the floor (don't have racks). I do that last with hips much higher and it feels mostly like a hinge.

I find OH head squats very challenging to my mobility limitations so I've been working them w/ just PVC pipe which has been doing really good things for my posture and I think, most other lifts.

Speaking of "older guys" I'm 69

4. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Quadruple-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

what age qualifies as "old" ? :)

5. 01tj

I found this video which is pretty helpful

6. 01tj

I switched it up this week and will do the following for the next few weeks.

Warmup-dumbell swings (don't have kettle bells, goblet squats both until I feel warm

Deadlifts
    Incline dumbbell bench
    Overhead squats
    Pull ups
    Waiter carries and/or farmers walks

I did this Monday and eneded up feeling like I was 80 by the end of the day. Today I tried to really concentrate on form and take care of my back.