all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Any opinions on kettle bell design/modification?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've always wondered about a kbell with a thick rotating handle (bearings on both sides of the handle). And the handle would have some mild knurling.

Bottom up presses would be tough!
I thought about that too, would be interesting to feel. Seemed like it could potentially be dangerous though. Lol on the bottom up presses, at least the trade off would be doing smooth curls similar to cable curls.

I get what you're saying on the high spots, essential rotating the handle on the bell 90 degrees or just smoothing out. I played with the bell entering into the handle area a little bit and I'll explore some more too. Have to agree on the aesthetics unfortunately, maybe I can improve them with some texture on the bell coating or only partially covering the bell in the softer material, and other ways. I'll have to do some sketching to work on it. Form definitely has to follow the function on this one though, so I'll have to see what's reasonable. Thanks a lot for the continued input!
JTfT5Vfl.jpg

D͟o͟ ͟n͟o͟t͟ ͟p͟u͟t͟ ͟a͟ ͟s͟o͟f͟t͟ ͟c͟o͟a͟t͟i͟n͟g͟ ͟o͟f͟ ͟a͟n͟y͟ ͟k͟i͟n͟d͟ ͟o͟n͟ ͟t͟h͟e͟ ͟b͟o͟d͟y͟.

Maybe a very thick grade of leather would work or just a bead blasted finish, but no rubber or plastic. Coatings of any kind are the sort of thing that quickly become an irritant when you combine pressure, sweat and body hair.

Also consider moving the swell up a little and possibly eliminating the flat bottom and have it rounded like the top.

I have to say I approach this as a thought experiment, I don't really believe there is a big enough market that alternative designs are going to generate sales and interest compared to traditional shape. It would have to offer a genuine and notable improvement in some manner with no negatives, to be accepted by established users and instructors.

I'm new to kettlebell training and hoping to get some feedback from those with experience. I've been visualizing the above designs to make kettlebells more appealing and comfortable to beginners. So these wouldn't be for the hardcore, no pain no gain type of user. Also, I respect the history of kettlebell and the traditional form and sport. I haven't found much info on kettlebell ergonomics or alternatives with sound reasoning.
Well, here's the thing. Kettlebells are actually really good ergonomically. It's not a matter of a problematic traditional design that could obviously be improved but isn't because people are too bound by tradition to embrace innovation.

Yes, there are some KB designs that just don't play well with certain people. But most patterns work really well for almost everyone. The broad curves of the bell allow for a lot of individual variation. I think it is a mistake to add contours that assume and/or dictate how the bell will rest on the forearm. IMO, that just ensures that the bell will NOT be comfortable for a higher percentage of lifters.

In looking at your design renderings, one thing I would also caution about is making the bell too tall. This will really mess up the dynamics of any exercise where the bell turns over at all, such as cleans and snatches. It will also make the bells too precarious for drills like renegade rows, and make any sort of bottom up drill much more difficult.

If you are actually interested in ways existing bell designs could be improved, I would recommend gaining a lot more personal experience with them. When experienced people tell you you are trying to solve a non-existent problem, maybe it's because they know something you don't -- isn't that why you posted here to begin with?

I've always wondered about a kbell with a thick rotating handle (bearings on both sides of the handle). And the handle would have some mild knurling.
I think a rotating handle would be really hard to hold onto. Just like rotating barbell sleeves require a hook or mixed grip when the weights get challenging, or like a Rolling Thunder style handle is more of grip challenge than a fixed handle.

I learned to snatch by trial and error, and the two big "a-hah" discoveries were not to grip the handle tightly when it was rotating in the hand, and not to let it fly over the hand and crash onto the forearm. I'm not sure being able to grip tightly while the handle is rotating is much of an advantage or worth the increased grip challenge of a rotating handle.

I think a rotating handle would be really hard to hold onto. Just like rotating barbell sleeves require a hook or mixed grip when the weights get challenging, or like a Rolling Thunder style handle is more of grip challenge than a fixed handle.

I learned to snatch by trial and error, and the two big "a-hah" discoveries were not to grip the handle tightly when it was rotating in the hand, and not to let it fly over the hand and crash onto the forearm. I'm not sure being able to grip tightly while the handle is rotating is much of an advantage or worth the increased grip challenge of a rotating handle.

Yes I'm not sure I would buy this, just a thought experiment...

I was actually thinking the opposite... I was under the impression that rotating barbell sleeves make it easier on a deadlift grip vs a fixed sleeve. Am I wrong here? My SSB bar has fixed sleeves and it feels like it wants to jump off my back. Long time ago my gym had a barbell where the sleeves were welded... It was much harder to hold on to. . I think rotating kbell handle will be easier on the grip (downside) but allow people to swing/snatch heavier bells (upside).

I was actually thinking the opposite... I was under the impression that rotating barbell sleeves make it easier on a deadlift grip vs a fixed sleeve. Am I wrong here? My SSB bar has fixed sleeves and it feels like it wants to jump off my back. Long time ago my gym had a barbell where the sleeves were welded... It was much harder to hold on to. . I think rotating kbell handle will be easier on the grip (downside) but allow people to swing/snatch heavier bells (upside).

As a generalization, I'm pretty confident the rotating handle is a bigger grip challenge for things like deadlifts, KB swings, pullups, and so forth, where the force just pulls straight against the fingers.

Rotating sleeves help with things like cleans, snatches, and curls where the bar is turning over while you grip it, and a fixed weight would generate a lot of inertia that would tend to wrench the bar out of your hands. With rotating sleeves, that inertia get dissipated in the sleeves rotating and doesn't transfer to the bar.

Last edited:

Bottom up presses would be tough!

Not a thick handle but it rotates. More than I'd spend on a kettlebell though!

In my mind, the humble kettlebell should be reasonably affordable and in the home of anyone who wants to pursue training.

For ONE 24kg bell they are charging $569.69! Adios muchacho......

Order summary​

1 × Kettlebells

Kettlebells
55 lb. - Steel / Chrome 1.5" / Single
$418.00
Subtotal
$418.00
Shipping
$151.69
Total
USD$569.69

Yes I'm not sure I would buy this, just a thought experiment...

I did that street challenge bar hang, having the bar rotate freely made it exponentially harder.

IIRC I made 58 seconds.

Do you think hanging from a pair of Rolling Thunder would be about the same difficulty?

-S-
Hard to say, it depends how thick the handle and how easy it turns. You could flick the challenge bar with your finger and it rolled easy.

I was very careful to reduce any sway when I put my weight on my grip, feet were swinging maybe 3 inches back and forth. 58seconds later I was still swinging 3 inches, despite my best effort to be still.

Do you think hanging from a pair of Rolling Thunder would be about the same difficulty?

-S-
I think you'd have to actually try both to compare. The Rolling Thunder is 2-3/8" which is pretty thick (harder), but probably doesn't spin as freely (easier), as I believe those challenge bars use well-lubricated bearings (harder). Not sure how having two separate grip points facing in different directions and splitting the weight between them would affect the difficulty.

Last edited:
JTfT5Vfl.jpg

D͟o͟ ͟n͟o͟t͟ ͟p͟u͟t͟ ͟a͟ ͟s͟o͟f͟t͟ ͟c͟o͟a͟t͟i͟n͟g͟ ͟o͟f͟ ͟a͟n͟y͟ ͟k͟i͟n͟d͟ ͟o͟n͟ ͟t͟h͟e͟ ͟b͟o͟d͟y͟.

Maybe a very thick grade of leather would work or just a bead blasted finish, but no rubber or plastic. Coatings of any kind are the sort of thing that quickly become an irritant when you combine pressure, sweat and body hair.

Also consider moving the swell up a little and possibly eliminating the flat bottom and have it rounded like the top.

I have to say I approach this as a thought experiment, I don't really believe there is a big enough market that alternative designs are going to generate sales and interest compared to traditional shape. It would have to offer a genuine and notable improvement in some manner with no negatives, to be accepted by established users and instructors.
jet bell.jpgI rendered these out today before I saw your post about the material choice. Great point on the rubber/plastic finish. I'll look into bead/blasted, powder coated etc. I understand where your coming from on the thought experiment. Just lots of exploration on my end and learning along the way thanks to the input. ended up looking like a jet engine.

Well there goes my million dollar idea! I guess I will have to stick with my day job. ?

Rotating sleeves help with things like cleans, snatches, and curls where the bar is turning over while you grip it, and a fixed weight would generate a lot of inertia that would tend to wrench the bar out of your hands. With rotating sleeves, that inertia get dissipated in the sleeves rotating and doesn't transfer to the bar.

I dont doubt you, you are probably right. Certainly rotating sleeves would be brutal with pullups. I'm not convinced with deadlifts. I'm going to have to do a test and see myself.

Eric

View attachment 12863I rendered these out today before I saw your post about the material choice. Great point on the rubber/plastic finish. I'll look into bead/blasted, powder coated etc. I understand where your coming from on the thought experiment. Just lots of exploration on my end and learning along the way thanks to the input. ended up looking like a jet engine.
Again, I'd push the bulk up a little to reduce elongation. Also, they're already going to be too unstable for things like renegade rows or parallettes. Visually they might look better with a boat nose and tail than the vase/lamp look they currently have.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom