all posts post new thread

Nutrition Any Potato Hackers?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
Embarking on a Lenten quest of potatoes. I've done 3-5 days before, with good results, but this time will be a little different. 5-10 days very plain, just minimal herbs, spices and seasonings. Then, in order to have some more variety to last another month, incorporate green veggies and some different preparations., making it more of a Mary's Mini.

Goals:

The usual Potato Hack results, fat loss, reward center reset, and gut reset.

Anybody is welcome to join me. Like many things, Potato Hacking is more fun as a team sport.

Power to the Potatoes!

I'm always on a potato hack....roast, chipped, mashed, baked, sauteed, fritter, dauphinous. Fave being leftover roasties re-fried.
The most versatile food ever, eaten almost daily.

Not sure if this particular hack is a global health trend or a local peculiarity. Whilst low carbers may want to shove potatoes where the sun don't shine, it appears that is exactly what people are doing. ....

What a waste of good spuds!

I love potatoes but I don't eat them all that often these days. That may have to change. Sag aloo is one of my favourite potato dishes but all of the aforementioned are great.

Also, leftover bean chilli over a crispy-skinned baked potato. @vegpedlr Not sure I could eat just potatoes but I'll be interested to see how you get on!

I remember Leo Babauta from zenhabits writing about it years ago, especially for resetting taste buds. I think he added broccoli and some BCAAs or so.

Anyway, sounds interesting to me. However, my main concern is: Will I still like potatoes as much afterwards? Because I have a close relationship with the dear Kartoffel :D

My preferred way of preparing them is by peeling them after cooking, which maintains more flavor. But all kinds are great. I am getting hungry just writing about it.

Is this the diet where you cook the potato, freeze it, then reheat it?
Almost. Cook them, chill them in the fridge for several hours, then reheat. That develops more resistant starch, which appears to have significant benefits for gut flora. Not necessary for the hack, but could be important for some folks.

Never freeze cooked potatoes. It ruins their texture.

@vegpedlr Requesting permission to hijack this thread to share potato recipes.
Permission granted. The poor, abused, much maligned humble potato truly has magic powers.

Here are a few of my favorites:
Topped with any kind of bean soup or chili.
Green potato soup, add some kind of green vegetable toward the end, cook, then blend.
Oven fries- my favorite hacking dish. Take cold, cooked spuds, cut into wedges or fries, broil until done, dip in mustard or BBQ sauce.
Another hacking dish, steamed baby potatoes tossed with lemon juice, s+p, and fresh herbs like parsley or dill.

Last edited:
Almost. Cook them, chill them in the fridge for several hours, then reheat. That develops more resistant starch, which appears to have significant benefits for gut flora. Not necessary for the hack, but could be important for some folks.

Never freeze cooked potatoes. It ruins their texture.

I've read about resistant starch but it was never clear to me if it stays resistant after reheating.

All hail the most high, all thanks and praises to the King of Roots, Lord of Tubers, the Potato!

Recipes, stories, reminisce, nostalgia, stories, research, memes, odes, lyrics, battle raps, bad puns.

Especially bad puns. The worse, the better.

Hack on, spud folk.

I'll look for something Tim Steele has about RS. The cooling and reheating increases RS each cycle. It's related to fiber, and does a great job feeding and ameliorating healthy gut bacteria. Other starchy foods can do this do, like rice, but there seems to be a bit of potato magic in there.

For those that want more:

Aussie Andrew Taylor did it for a whole year, losing 50 kg:
His approach is that of addiction. Unlike other addictions, a food addict can't really stop eating. So Taylor looked for the closest thing he could find.

Tim Steele wrote the book, literally, and was front and center when it went viral in paleo-land a few years back.

The "Potato Hack" is to eat nothing but potatoes, as plainly as possible for a short time, usually 3-5 days. Maybe a bit longer, maybe with a few spices or condiments that add trivial calories.

Other versions of the potato diet are to simply make the potato the basis of all meals, and the major source of calories. Dr. McDougall has been teaching this for years, calling it "Mary's Mini" after his wife, who used to do something similar to stay skinny while in college. He also frequently gives examples of similar research experiments done decades ago, as well as historical examples of populations that have relied on the potato.

The paleo uproar was always funny to me because they acted like they reinvented the wheel. Some of us had been rollin' along for awhile!

The point of all variations is to introduce a little monotony, stop amusing yourself with food, looking for "hits" for your brain, and tune into true hunger and satiety.

So I'm starting with the simplest variation for the brain reset, then adding more flavors later.

Here is the gut stuff:

I've ignored this stuff in the past because my digestion is generally good. Lately though, it's been a bit off. Another reason to hack.

All hail the most high, all thanks and praises to the King of Roots, Lord of Tubers, the Potato!

Recipes, stories, reminisce, nostalgia, stories, research, memes, odes, lyrics, battle raps, bad puns.

Especially bad puns. The worse, the better.

Hack on, spud folk.
I'm diggin it. ????

I always add potatoes to borsch and have plenty of energy after eating it (and it's got no meat), and no energy crashes. I don't know if it's the potatoes alone or all of the other veggies too, but it's all good

Potato to you, Comrade!

I always add potatoes to borsch and have plenty of energy after eating it (and it's got no meat), and no energy crashes. I don't know if it's the potatoes alone or all of the other veggies too, but it's all good

Potato to you, Comrade!
The meal that leaves me the freshest for the longest is potatoes plus a big salad. And it lifts my mood! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom